2008 cooling system bleed

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
I've searched, and searched, but can't find an answer for a post-'07 (without the crossover tube) anywhere.

It's time for a coolant change. What's the procedure for bleeding/burping the cooling system on these?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
They self bleed, fill it, let it come up to temp with the cap off, and drive it. Sometimes it helps to over fill the car and let it level itself out on your test drive.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Just fill the expansion reservoir up to the mark and leave the cap off. Then start the engine, leave it to idle, and turn the heater on. Any remaining air will be burped out, the level in the reservoir will drop, and you'll need to top it up.
Once there are no more bubbles and the fluid level in the reservoir begins to rise, replace the cap and go for a drive. After a long cooldown, check the coolant level and top up the reservoir as required.

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
They self bleed, fill it, let it come up to temp with the cap off, and drive it. Sometimes it helps to over fill the car and let it level itself out on your test drive.

Just fill the expansion reservoir up to the mark and leave the cap off. Then start the engine, leave it to idle, and turn the heater on. Any remaining air will be burped out, the level in the reservoir will drop, and you'll need to top it up.
Once there are no more bubbles and the fluid level in the reservoir begins to rise, replace the cap and go for a drive. After a long cooldown, check the coolant level and top up the reservoir as required.

Sweet. Thanks, Guys!

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2008, and I just did it. And, as stated, it burped itself with no problems. I did jack up the right side a little to get the reservoir to the highest point, just to be sure.

And though it is a 3.5 gallon capacity, don't expect to get more than 2 or 2 1/2 gallons out with each drain. Because of that, I was uneasy using any flushing agents (didn't want it left in the cooling system permanently), and it also made it to where I couldn't flush with just water because it would be tough to know the amount left over in the system after the last drain. So, I ended up buying 4 gallons of the yellow stuff and 4 gallons of distilled water and flushing with 50/50 a total of 4 times. More expensive that way, but at least I know I was left with clean coolant and the right mixture.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can also squeeze the upper and lower hoses while the cap is off to help speed up the process as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back