2008 Instrument cluster change upgrade.

Cancerman

Reaction score
Yes. I'm about 3/4 the way with the install of the new motor. I don't have a lift, I've found that these generation cars have the engine almost against the firewall which makes it hard to ER & R the motor with the tranny in place, so I'm struggling a bit. Should turn it in the next 2-3 days. All goes well, I'll be breaking it in this weekend. I hope I didn't just jinx myself! I'll load some pics tomorrow.

Cancerman

Reaction score
Cluster has notbing to do with PATS on that car.
Cluster is plug and play.
However, some features/options may need to be turned off with Forscan.
I swapped to a gt cluster. Gt had abs, mine did not. So abs and traction control needed to be turned off.
I have found my car is exactly the same, no ABS or TCS. The new cluster has it, and I can't get my lights off.
Give me a quick lesson on Forscan. I figure I'm going to have to invest in a tool. I have a cheapie code reader for the motor, which came in handy as the throttle body motor plug was broken in place and the internal wires were severed. The car threw 7 codes, which helped me troubleshoot it. I found the connector at OReillys for $20. Soldered it in and cleared the codes and boom, throttle control and a smooth idle. I've done a couple of break in runs, everything looks good. The gauges themselves all work correctly. I put new wires on it and so far, I just need to clear the two codes, and I'm waiting for my brake parts. Gonna do all new brakes, to start the car off safe. I'd appreciate any help getting up to speed with Forscan.
IMG_20220302_182135467.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You have to edit the as built file of the cluster. And I forget which bit turns off those lights.
Laptop + Forscan + license + ELM 327 adapter with MS/HS switch. (cluster is on the MS bus) IIRC. Save the original before you start editing.

Cancerman

Reaction score
You have to edit the as built file of the cluster. And I forget which bit turns off those lights.
Laptop + Forscan + license + ELM 327 adapter with MS/HS switch. (cluster is on the MS bus) IIRC. Save the original before you start editing.
I have read that you need a 64 bit laptop for Forscan, I only have a 32 bit. My house PC is 64 bit though. I'd hate to have to lug it downstairs after downloading Forscan. I will if I have to though.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I was not aware of the 64bit requirement for Forscan.

Cancerman

Reaction score
I read further about it and it supports both, my bad. What are your opinions on the Vgate vLinker or the OBDLink interface? These seem to be preferred by the Forscan site. The Vgate is auto switching between the high and low with no switching by the user. People seem to like it. I don't know of anyone locally that has this stuff and my dealers are useless and expensive. It's worth it for me as I also have a F150 Coyote besides my Focus and S197.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
No idea on the Vgate if its good or bad.
I have all 3 elm 327s. Bluetooth, wifi, and wired. For programming, I prefer the wired, but have used the wifi one too. The wired one is by far the fastest connection, and stable. I paid like $25 for it.

I would take a screenshot of my cluster's modified asbuilt, but I cant. Cluster com requires the 07 pcm, and since the coyote swap, Forscan does not even see the cluster.

I would read both clusters you have, it may offer some direction to which bits are different, provided they arent completely different. And back up/save original befor you start poking around.
Read, change, write, cycle key. Rinse and repeat..
Best I can do

Last edited:

Cancerman

Reaction score
OK Juice, here's what I found so far:
In the AS/Built, Instrument cluster module, 720-01-01, 0027 000 0050, turns off TC and ABS, leave TPMS on. 0023 0000 004C turns of TC/ABS/TPMS. I also went into GEM module and at 726-02-01 I went 0000-0000-0030. I also disable all 4 TPMS and perimeter monitoring. Everything is working perfect now. I'm using vLinker FS USB. It uses the automatic switch, and is super fast, it just takes seconds to write and update. It works on my old Toshiba 32 bit laptop great. it was about $30 bucks.

drwells42

Reaction score
Pardon a "newbie" for asking about this topic.

I have a 2007 V-6 "base" model, and I'd like to go with a 6 gauge cluster. I have two questions:

1) My car is a manual. Some of the clusters I see on eBay etc. say that they are for automatics. Is there a difference in the gauge clusters?

2) In a perfect world, I'd like to have the odometer reset to read correctly. Several sources claimed that Ford dealers can do this. The first Ford dealer I asked said just to get an odometer with mileage that is close. What does it really take to do this, and what does it cost?

DRW

Cancerman

Reaction score
My car is a stick, I never saw anything about manual vs Auto. I have not found anyway to reset the odometer. If I sell it there's so much done to the car, many new parts, I'll just claim exempt. Yeah, while I was doing the motor, etc, I shopped eBay for a cluster. Glad I did it. Good luck with it.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Pardon a "newbie" for asking about this topic.

I have a 2007 V-6 "base" model, and I'd like to go with a 6 gauge cluster. I have two questions:

1) My car is a manual. Some of the clusters I see on eBay etc. say that they are for automatics. Is there a difference in the gauge clusters?

2) In a perfect world, I'd like to have the odometer reset to read correctly. Several sources claimed that Ford dealers can do this. The first Ford dealer I asked said just to get an odometer with mileage that is close. What does it really take to do this, and what does it cost?

DRW
They're pretty much plug and play. Just ensure you get the right cluster for your V6. They did make versions of the 6 gauge w/the 120 mph speedo. Some models however have features (like tire pressure monitoring/anti-lock brakes) you may need to turn off if your steed doesn't have it. Otherwise, easiest upgrade I ever made. Also, suggest if you like my color it'd be a good time to purchase the selector switch if the cluster supports it. Also worked flawlessly.

No experience modifying mileage reading. Didn't worry about it. Kept the old cluster in case it was ever needed down the road.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If the configuration is the same, swapping is plug and play.
If not, you can edit the as built file to make changes. Example: a cluster from an abs car will turn on the abs and trac control lights in a non abs car.
There is no easy way to roll back milage. It is possible there are tools to only increase milage. Forscan does not have this option for 05-09 Mustangs. May have something to do with not making odometer fraud easy to do.

Last edited:

drwells42

Reaction score
If the configuration is the same, swapping is plug and play.
If not, you can edit the as built file to make changes. Example: a cluster from an abs car will turn on the abs and trac control lights in a non abs car.
There is no easy way to roll back milage. It is possible there are tools to only increase milage. Forscan does not have this option for 05-09 Mustangs. May have something to do with not making odometer fraud easy to do.
Many thanks for all the advice. Actually, one Ford dealer mechanic suggested just buying a gauge cluster with slightly higher mileage, and waiting until it is close.

So, how does one go about editing the "as built" file? I'm pretty computer literate, but I don't have many computerized car tools beyond a simple scanner. Yes, I'm kinda old-school that way.

FWIW, my car does have traction control/ABS.

DRW

MrBhp

Reaction score
I had no idea my car was equipped with MyColor. I just started tweeking the custom colors last night. Really cool!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the advice. Actually, one Ford dealer mechanic suggested just buying a gauge cluster with slightly higher mileage, and waiting until it is close.

So, how does one go about editing the "as built" file? I'm pretty computer literate, but I don't have many computerized car tools beyond a simple scanner. Yes, I'm kinda old-school that way.

FWIW, my car does have traction control/ABS.

DRW
Forscan

asdrew

Reaction score
When I swapped mine for a 6 gauge cluster, I just carefully documented the mileage difference, and also kept the original in case it's needed. With a car this old that I hope to keep long term, odometer discrepancy should not be an issue, plus in Florida we just sign an affidavit stating it is not actual mileage.
If you're worried about it, there are places that will refurbish a cluster and set the mileage for under $200

Ironically, just after I relented and bought a used cluster and new switch, I finally stumbled on a V6 in the junkyard with one. Now I have an extra, lol.

drwells42

Reaction score
When I swapped mine for a 6 gauge cluster, I just carefully documented the mileage difference, and also kept the original in case it's needed. With a car this old that I hope to keep long term, odometer discrepancy should not be an issue, plus in Florida we just sign an affidavit stating it is not actual mileage.
If you're worried about it, there are places that will refurbish a cluster and set the mileage for under $200

Interesting thought, but in New Jersey, the state annually checks your odometer, and the insurance companies can be pretty authoritarian.

I talked to another local Ford dealer, and they wanted $400-500 to reset the odometer. I'm thinking of looking online for the services that might do this. This earlier thread mentioned Tasca, but many of the things mentioned in the thread seem to be dead links.

Does anyone have experience with any of the gauge cluster refurbishers?

Ironically, just after I relented and bought a used cluster and new switch, I finally stumbled on a V6 in the junkyard with one. Now I have an extra, lol.

So, do you still have this extra? How many miles are on the odometer?

DRW

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back