2008 ROUSH Stage 3 Build...Take III

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Well at least you get to make improvements!

Which equates to more money being dumped into it. But you have to find something to look forward to. If you have to send the blower out to get torn apart, you might as well do some mods while you are there... lol

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, it reads like you have a new plan. :hi:

Look forward to seeing and reading all about these new changes as they take place.

Looks like 2015 is going to be your year !!!

Terry

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Since the VMP gen2 blower makes loads more power ( another 2.3 psi boost for the same pulley size).... u don't want to blow the motor up, or pre-detonate with more boost, and ur lousy 91 octane. IMO, I would increase the blower pulley by 5-6mm, and drop the boost back down to where it is now. Then u will (a) eat LESS hp off the crank..for the same boost u have now. ( b) heat from the new gen 2 blower, pre-ic, will be way down. Gen 2 puts out way less heat for the same psi. You really don't require the venom cooler.

I think if it was me, I'd be inclined to buy a complete new VMP TVS-2300, gen 2, install it..then deal with the existing gen 1 blower..after the fact. ( IE: get it repaired, sans venom cooler, then sell it). You may well have more than the coatings falling off, there could well be nicks and dings in the rotors, which would put em out of balance, or render the rotor's un-repairable.

BTW, when u lost plug #7... baffles me why it would sound 'normal' on the 2 hr drive home.

Jkoogler

forum member
Reaction score
Why not put a bigger higher psi pulley on the lower and lower on upper and change the psi combo around. Kinda like the 03 cobra guys do. I live close to steigmeier so if you need to do anything to help you out let me know.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Since the VMP gen2 blower makes loads more power ( another 2.3 psi boost for the same pulley size).... u don't want to blow the motor up, or pre-detonate with more boost, and ur lousy 91 octane. IMO, I would increase the blower pulley by 5-6mm, and drop the boost back down to where it is now. Then u will (a) eat LESS hp off the crank..for the same boost u have now. ( b) heat from the new gen 2 blower, pre-ic, will be way down. Gen 2 puts out way less heat for the same psi. You really don't require the venom cooler.

I think if it was me, I'd be inclined to buy a complete new VMP TVS-2300, gen 2, install it..then deal with the existing gen 1 blower..after the fact. ( IE: get it repaired, sans venom cooler, then sell it). You may well have more than the coatings falling off, there could well be nicks and dings in the rotors, which would put em out of balance, or render the rotor's un-repairable.

BTW, when u lost plug #7... baffles me why it would sound 'normal' on the 2 hr drive home.

I am not planning to make more boost. I don't think the GenII will make more boost (PSI) according to Justin. It just makes more power with better airflow.

I can't buy a new GenII and simply bolt it on as I have a dual belt setup and the GenII only comes in single belt systems.

They also don't make a bigger 5-6mm pulley as it would hit the hood.
I have all 3 different sized pulleys ROUSH makes, I am currently running the middle sized 3.0".

Yeah, I'm still pondering the hole Venom thing. I am not doing it to make more power as its not marketed for more power, but more consistent power due to greatly reducing heat soak.

The rotors have minor damage. All they require is a refinish meaning, strip the coating, minor resurfacing, and recoating them with a better coating than what Eaton puts on them. The coating Eaton puts on the rotors is rough. Feels almost like casting marks. The coating used by Stiegy or other Eaton service shops use a much smoother better coating that reduces heat and smooths out the airflow over the rotors.
Part of the blower service is to repair them better than OEM. They are balanced and re-timed.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Why not put a bigger higher psi pulley on the lower and lower on upper and change the psi combo around. Kinda like the 03 cobra guys do. I live close to steigmeier so if you need to do anything to help you out let me know.

I don't want more boost. I was at 13.5 PSI. Once the GenII goes on and we can verify boost and power, I can go lower, either with a blower pulley swap which I already have or a lower crank ring swap which I would have to order.

I'm hoping that the GenII will make the same PSI...
Really PSI is just back pressure into the motor; heads and exhaust affect the PSI on a fixed blower RPM.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I really don't think their cooling system will provide you much in term of performance.

The best it would do is cool the bearing area, not the case itself.

Might want to skip that one as you are going to a more efficient blower anyway.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I really don't think their cooling system will provide you much in term of performance.

The best it would do is cool the bearing area, not the case itself.

Might want to skip that one as you are going to a more efficient blower anyway.

I've been wondering that myself. The TVS has never gotten anyway near hot like my old M90 which you could fry an egg on.

The TVS has always been warm to the touch.

So in your opinion, the Venom Cooling mod would be pointless.
All I am hoping or my goal would be with the Venom mod is to reduce heat soak...help take some heat out of the blower during hot laps.

I would imagine that it has to help. I totally agree its not a performance mod for power, but how about heat management (specifically heat soak)?

The mod itself is not that expensive.

I'd like to hear more opinions:
http://stiegemeier.com/services/venom-coolers/

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I had discussed this same mod with Stiegemeier aswell.
They were more than willing to take my money.

This was for a Saleen blower that was to be maxed out, similar to the m90.

I had talked to quite e few builders and blower repair shops.
All of them said the same thing, not worth the trouble.
Fully cooled case would be the way to go.

This was almost exactly a year ago so maybe opinions will have changed.

The TVS is well known for it's efficiency and as a result will not heat up as much as some of the others.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The story I got on the venom cooler was that it used.... 204 deg F eng coolant, to..."cool" the snout on the blower. All you are doing is adding yet more heat to the oem eng rad cooling loop. I doubt you are going to cool the snout at all, if any. Your Iat's won't drop at all. The venom cooler is T'ed off the main eng rad hoses...supply + return. You are also diverting eng coolant away from the eng..... and into the venom cooler..reducing the eng cooling effectiveness.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Jimbo, the Venom Cooler ties into your supercharger cooling system and not your engine cooling.

I stand corrected. Ok, now you are diverting coolant from your IC.... to run your venom cooler. ur iat's will increase...since your flow level through the ic is less. There's no free lunch here. Run the venom cooler idea past VMP...you will get an earful.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
$1500 for a case is deeee cent. I wonder what Justin does with all of his money, I just sent him like $1500 USD for a few parts - not even a supercharger! Probably has to give it all to Obama. I wish him the best, especially if he's still working out of his house.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Ok, now you are diverting coolant from your IC.... to run your venom cooler. ur iat's will increase...since your flow level through the ic is less. There's no free lunch here. Run the venom cooler idea past VMP...you will get an earful.

I asked Justin and he did not say anything bad. He said it will help reduce heat soak. He said to go for it!! This was when we were discussing the upgrade to the Gen II.

Last edited:

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
$1500 for a case is deeee cent. I wonder what Justin does with all of his money, I just sent him like $1500 USD for a few parts - not even a supercharger! Probably has to give it all to Obama. I wish him the best, especially if he's still working out of his house.

Yeah, he still works out of his home. Basically a one man show although he now does have BJ.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Quick update, got the damage report back from my engine builder Chuck.

First good news, heads are good!! No damage, only thing is to smooth out the sharp/raised edges of the scares on the cylinder head chambers:

DSC01031_zps643cac97.jpg

Close up:

DSC01030_zpsa4583565.jpg

The bad news, the block needs to be bored out to +0.020...sigh What this means is I need new pistons.
JDM does not have any on the shelf and ordering a set would take 6-8 weeks. So I cruised over to MMR and they have similar pistons from Manley for the 3.800" stroker. So I order a set and asked them to apply their special coating!!

m2500rPistons_zps9ad387d5.jpg

I was hesitant to get the coating done since it was an extra $250 on top of the $700 pistons. But I figured if I don't get it done, I will always wonder if I should have gotten it done. As opposed to get it done and realize it was over kill. lol

The benefits are supposed to be a cooler running piston, increased anti-wear, and an extra layer of detonation protection.
I will not notice the benefits on the street car, but at least I will never wonder what if...

So the new pistons should ship from MMR early next week!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back