2008 ROUSH Stage 3 Build...Take III

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, I hope this build doesn't go sour...
I am officially no longer confident in my piston purchase.
I will have my engine builder inspect them thoroughly.

So diamond pistons is what L&M sells?
I see they don't list pistons for a 3.800 stroker.
This is the reason I went with MMR; they have pistons on the shelf for use with the Kellogg 3.800" stroker and 5.850" rods.

No one else had these readily available.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Pistons LM sells are made by Diamond but are Michael's design, they are custom made, he can get your piston made as you need but they take time, he has made 3.800 pistons for us. His most important design features are thicker crowns and higher top ring distance.

Pistons will be measured and checked once received before sending them to you.

But yes, that takes time and obviously is not cheap.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
AutoX, I wouldnt get too worked up yet. The pistons you(and I) ordered are Manley pistons. Manley's are a quality piston. It just seem that MMR is the only ones that have the money to keep them in stock and want to put their name on them because it advertising. Not sure what is to be so concerned about.

Edit
Everyone will have their opinions on pistons. There are some pistons out there that are better than others, but manly is one of the top 3 or 4 piston manufacturers for our platform afaic. Heck look what I did with a cheaper set of mahle 4032 pistons.

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
My manleys have been great, 2 years,10k miles and I don't baby it.....I broke my main shaft in my tr6060 so you know I don't baby it,lol.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
AutoX, I wouldnt get too worked up yet. The pistons you(and I) ordered are Manley pistons. Manley's are a quality piston. It just seem that MMR is the only ones that have the money to keep them in stock and want to put their name on them because it advertising. Not sure what is to be so concerned about.

Edit
Everyone will have their opinions on pistons. There are some pistons out there that are better than others, but manly is one of the top 3 or 4 piston manufacturers for our platform afaic. Heck look what I did with a cheaper set of mahle 4032 pistons.

^ This, the only observation I would do is that red coating, I don't know how that will be behave or hold.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
^ their red coating is my only concern....MMR likes to make things red because they like to brand things, I don't know what actual good it does and I don't trust the bullshit they talk....2 years ago when I built my current motor I almost bought them but couldn't find any real world results.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I didn't get the coating on mine. They did have the big bore stroker pistons in stock, just had to have a valve relief cut for the 3 valve before they went out. Shipped Friday, so I will have pics this week hopefully.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
No, been locked out for 2 years now. I need to start emailing you about the new setup soon Manuel.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
They only mentioned it to me when I discussed how long it would take to get them. They said they would cut the relieves since I was ordering for a 3valve and then send them out. As long as you told them they are for a 3valve I wouldn't worry to much. Otherwise give them a call about it tomorrow.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Lito, we locked them and removed the VCT solenoid.
Just wondering if they will cut reliefs regardless.
I will have to call tomorrow to make sure they haven't cut any.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Spoke with MMR today, by default they cut reliefs into all the 3V pistons...

VMP GenII blower case arrived!!

Here are some comparison shots...unfortunately, its not 100% bolt-on.

This is the biggest difference between both cases...the inlet. The VMP has a massive bloated intake compared to the ROUSH version.
DSC01079_zps4851f427.jpg

DSC01081_zps5876f3bf.jpg

As you can see below, the VMP GenII case on the right has one less bolt hole than the ROUSH case on the left.

The other main difference I noticed was the outlet...the VMP has a larger discharge opening compared to the ROUSH.
DSC01082_zpsd6bee56c.jpg

ROUSH with VMP high-flow elbow

DSC01084_zps422e36ac.jpg

VMP GenII throttle body flange opening

DSC01083_zps71c69f2d.jpg

DSC01086_zps0ed9c2f9.jpg

Backside

DSC01087_zpsb8e9f9ec.jpg

Right side

DSC01088_zps92685485.jpg

ROUSH with VMP high-flow elbow

DSC01092_zpsb4260fb8.jpg

VMP GenII case

DSC01091_zps753b286b.jpg

As you can see the differences in both cases, I need to figure out what to do about installation and how to block off all those unused ports and machined surfaces before I commit to this case. I wish VMP made a ROUSH specific application. Or at least machined block-off plates.

Also got the new throttle body; VMP 67mm vs FRPP mono-blade

DSC01075_zps6df19ecf.jpg

DSC01076_zps1edb908a.jpg

This is the part that worries or shocks me...seems like a lot less open area
Although VMP claims it flows within 50cfm of the mono-blade. Justin confirmed the 67mm is good for 800-850rwhp. So I should be OK at hopefully the 700rwhp mark this time around.

DSC01077_zpsc7a97d4b.jpg

DSC01078_zpsf7beb0ea.jpg

I'm just wondering, why does the mono-blade has so many tuning issues... With my mild cam setup previously, it tuned fine. But after I got more aggressive cams and deleted the VCT; this mono-blade has been impossible to tune.

Last edited:

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
That thing lets in alot of air right off of tip in.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
That thing lets in alot of air right off of tip in.

You talking about the FRPP mono?
The issues we (my tuner and I) are stable RPMs and fuel shut-off in vacuum conditions (engine breaking).

Its also not very smooth when you are trying to cruise at 5-10 MPH.
Feels like a switch instead of a throttle. lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back