2011 Gt, can I disconnect speedo drive easily and still drive it?

Robster

Reaction score
Hi guys, I can't find anything on here about this issue. I am keen to disconnect my speedo on my 2011 S197 Gt. 6 spd manual, MT82. I'm not sure if these have a mechanical cable or some sort of speed sensor. Basically I am looking for a way to stop the milage going up when I transport it some 2000kms shortly. Wondering if anything else is effected as well. Thanks in advance. (In New Zealand).

Last edited:

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a plug for the trans.

Manuals use a slip yoke and no flange?

20220702_183838.jpg

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like MT82 uses the same (more or less) flange as auto.
https://thepartsfarm.com/products/2...rag-mt82-6-speed-manual-transmission-swap-kit

I assume only reason OP is trying to do this is he is using a tow dolly or flat owing. Either way,
I would definitely remove DS just in case output bearings/bushings on trans don't
get enough lube if diff is driving trans (instead of other way around).

But I also question if mileage will even register if car of off, or even better yet, batt disconnected.

JC SSP

Reaction score
If he's using a tow dolly then load the rear tires on the dolly and secure the steering wheel strait. He should be good to go... only thing rotating are the front wheels.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
If he's using a tow dolly then load the rear tires on the dolly and secure the steering wheel strait. He should be good to go... only thing rotating are the front wheels.

Used a tow dolly a bunch back in the day before getting car/truck trailers. Never tried that one. :)
I'd be a little worried that side loads on front tires are now only being held back by steering col lock.
Unless there is something I am not thinking of.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have seen tow truck drivers back in the day lift the rear up and rope-off the steering wheel within the spokes, then sliding the rope between the door jam and closing it. The steering wheel will wiggle (3"-4") but wheels will not turn lock-to-lock.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
I have seen tow truck drivers back in the day lift the rear up and rope-off the steering wheel within the spokes, then sliding the rope between the door jam and closing it. The steering wheel will wiggle (3"-4") but wheels will not turn lock-to-lock.

I see that for a local tow, but not sure I trust it for "2000 kms".
That said, I've done plenty of dumb or questionable things towing.

Heck I towed an FSB most of the way from Jersey to Co with std
passenger car tires on my new to me (used POS) deck over, LOL!!
I blew so many tires, by the time I got close, the GF had to drive the
Bronco and I had to tow the trailer with 3 "good" tires.

I've recently converted that trailer to LT's, I'm done with trailer tires.

Robster

Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I'm not towing. Basically I want to be able to drive it without putting milage on the car. Illegal in some places I know, but not everywhere.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I'm not towing. Basically I want to be able to drive it without putting milage on the car. Illegal in some places I know, but not everywhere.
Nope, you cannot drive these cars withou a working speedo.
The car will keep going into limp mode. I know this from personal experience. My speedo was only reading 30% of actual speed when I first got the swap running. That was enough to trip the check engine and wrench lights.

Last edited:

BullittSS

Reaction score
Reminds me of when I sold a 1981 Toyota Celica GT way back in 1984. On the way to the bank to finalize the deal the buyer offered me $50 to sign an affidavit that the car had 40,000 miles. It actually had 70,000 miles, and I politely declined. A couple of years he was convicted of tampering with odometers, a felony in Indiana. The practice is deceptive and just plain wrong.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
So you really are planning on putting 2000 km of additional mileage on the car. You just don't want anyone in the future to know about it. Have I got that right?

FangStang

Reaction score
How would you like someone to have done this with a car you were interested in purchasing? SMH

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Remind me never to buy a used car from Robster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back