2011 shifter from mgw close to completion...some specs and info>>

devildog1679

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone getting 2 nd gear lock out. Happened a few times, doesn't seem to be the tranny.

devildog1679

forum member
Reaction score
It does it every know and then. I rarely use first so the 1-2 shift is rare for me. Could just be me.

devildog1679

forum member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the skip-shift feature?

Ah, that could be it. Never even thought of that since I never encountered it before. So it's mainly on 1-2 correct? Damn now I know why people complain about it.

-rpark-

Reaction score
Well, I finally installed my shifter last night. I have very little mechanical experience, so it took me about four hours.

i jacked the car up and set it down on four plastic ramps.

i had the old shifter out in no time.

next, the mgw clam shell upper and lower went on fairly easy to my surprise.

i then installed the top shifter piece and thats where i ran into a little trouble. the hex head bolts that hold it on did not want to go in very easy. they had some "yellow" looking stuff on them which i though must be some sort of lock-tite. i went ahead and put a little blue stuff on them to be safe.

once i got them tightened down, the heads started stripping out before i was satisfied that were tight enough. i had to stop and leave them as they were.

i figured this piece needs to be the tightest piece of the whole assembly, so im hoping like hell i got it tight enough to stay put.

i hope i never have to take it off to grease the internals again because ill be screwed and have to try and drill the heads off because im sure they wont come out without completely stripping out.

the boot was a bitch and i was prepared for it. i was about to give up, but then got a nylon trim tool that looked similiar to a small chisel i got at harbor freight and somehow managed to get that bottom seal on. the other two seals were cake.

so next, i moved to the back bracket and that that would be simple, but that turned out to give me a little trouble. it was hard to hold the bracket up with the rubber pad under it, but i finally got it to "stick" on the thread while i got one of the nuts starts.

it was hard as hell to get the rubber washer, metal washer, lock washer, and nut all started in a place to small for both hands to fit. i finally managed but it wasnt fun.

after that, the shift handle was pretty simple and then got the console back in and took it out for a test drive.

looking back, im a little worried and thought i may have been better off letting it sit a couple days to let the lock-tite set up before i started driving it around.

anyway, it was a little different that stock and i accidentally selected the wrong gears a few times from it being a little stiffer and me not being used to it.

after about 30 miles, it seems to loosen up and little and i became more comfortable with it. things are still a little on the clunky side, but not as bad as it was stock.

one think i did note is everything was quiet for about the first thirty miles, then after that, i started noticing a little vibration noise. i cant tell where it is coming from. it doesnt sound like the shifter area, but seems to just do it when the car is in gear. when you push the clutch in, it stops.

ill have to do some more investigating next week when i get a day off.

Reaction score
one think i did note is everything was quiet for about the first thirty miles, then after that, i started noticing a little vibration noise. i cant tell where it is coming from. it doesnt sound like the shifter area, but seems to just do it when the car is in gear. when you push the clutch in, it stops.

ill have to do some more investigating next week when i get a day off.

Gear noise is normal especially with an aftermarket shifter. The MT82 inherently makes noise, so its no big deal. I have the stock shifter, Amsoil MTG, and barton bracket and notice a TINY TINY bit of noise while accelerating. That's with the windows up, AC off, and radio off however.

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, the MGW will loosen up considerably over the first hundred miles or so. When I first drove with mine I wasn't so sure it was really an improvement. It was just toooooo stiff. Once it broke in though, butter!

-rpark-

Reaction score
Gear noise is normal especially with an aftermarket shifter. The MT82 inherently makes noise, so its no big deal. I have the stock shifter, Amsoil MTG, and barton bracket and notice a TINY TINY bit of noise while accelerating. That's with the windows up, AC off, and radio off however.

it doesnt really sound like a gear whine to me. it is more like something is loose and rattling. like i said, it didnt start doing it until about thirty miles after the install...so i dont think the gears would have suddenly started making noise.

im thinking it might be the heat shield or possibly some wiring under the console.

i just watched the install vids again, and i did forget to put the dynamat around the shifter cut out on the car body. ill take it apart and do that monday morning and crawl under there and maybe manipulate the heat shield a little.

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
No, they've been making noise, the stock shifter was just a sponge with the amount of bushings and soft rubber brackets it had. It's normal. I've had my shifter on for almost 9000 miles now and it has actually quieted down a bit since the first thousand or so. Or maybe I'm just used to it now.

PvilleStang

Your tax dollars at work!
Reaction score
Just installed my buddy's shifter yesterday, and completed it in two hours. The videos were great help, plus having two and a half guys (my other buddy was pressing play and pause for most of the job) helped. From my experience, the boot seemed to be the biggest pain for him, other than he over-dynomatted the body before putting in the boot.

Mine's now on order, time to hurry up and wait!

keoni1984

Homicidal
Reaction score
Everyone talks about the issues with installing the boot, but mine went on rather easily. So easily, in fact, that I was concerned I didn't do it correctly... Went back a couple days later and double checked everything while watching the install video on my phone and everything was as it was in the video. Maybe the AZ heat helped make the rubber more pliable..
It's been roughly 7k miles since install and everything still feels great, but I'll check once more when I get my car back from the turbo kit fab and install.

Note: I also swapped the tranny fluid to the AmsOil MTG at the same time. Kinda wished I waited to see if I could notice any difference with just the shifter sans fluid swap, but it was just easier to do while the car was already on jack stands.

PvilleStang

Reaction score
Ordered June 19th, shipped July 2nd, should be here on Friday the 6th. Not a bad wait time, although I hadn't planned on getting my rear bumper smashed by some drunk fuck in a parking lot, so install may be delayed...

G-mann

Reaction score
Mine arrived this afternoon, looking like a weekend install. Glad to hear it loosens up a bit as you put miles on it. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Attachments

• mgw-kit.JPG
    mgw-kit.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 97

PvilleStang

Reaction score
Ordered June 19th, shipped July 2nd, should be here on Friday the 6th. Not a bad wait time, although I hadn't planned on getting my rear bumper smashed by some drunk fuck in a parking lot, so install may be delayed...

Received it last Friday, and installed it last night. Went faily seamlessly, other than the boot issue. I found if you tuck the boot on the passenger side into the body opening, then work your way clockwise it works the best. Also did most of it alone, but there are two or three times when it's nice to have an extra pair of hands. One other thing that made it TONS easier: Impact driver. Made quick work of all the tight wrenchings.

-rpark-

Reaction score
well, ive had mine one about 700 miles thus far. it loosened up a little, but not all that much.

i would like to take the extra spring shim out to make it looser, but i used lock-tite and am afraid to strip it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back