2013 GT S&H Performance/On3 twin turbo install-long read!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As many of you know S&H Performance planned a TT install for my 2013 GT; I was the guinea pig for the install so we would know what to expect when we sold the kit as far as the install and the results; my initial impressions are not favorable and S&H is undecided if we will market the kit based on the install/dyno numbers but there are circumstance which may have led to my lower than expected numbers.

The kit is the On3 piping/intercooler that Bobby powdercoated black includeing the V bands and T bolt clamps and looks amazing. The intercooler is huge but fits behind the bumper support and for the 13/14's no alteration to the bumper is necessary. We did have to rig an extension for the intercooler bracket as the On3 kit was designed around a 2011/12 which does not have the revised front end.

Jeremy and I installed the DIY wire upgrade as well as installed the BAP before he left and I installed a set of Bosch 1000's so the fuel side was set.

The install and tuning was done at Pro-Dyno in Fort Hill, SC and this project would not have been done if it were not for the Dan's tuning and the help of the mechanics; Bobby and I are not mechanics but have been working on cars for a while and we agree this was the hardest thing we have ever done to a car. On3's directions gave a 24 hour install time but have since revised them to 30-36 hours which Bobby and I agree with.

Day 1:
Started off with unbolting the off road X pipe on the lift
Dropped the K member/diconnected the motor mounts
Disconnected the steering shaft
Disconnected the battery/removed the battery tray
Oriented the alt wiring to the other side
Removed the drivers side header-5.0's are 15mm nuts
Removed the passenger side header
Removed front bumper
Removed the radiator cover
Removed the plastic/rubber "apron" on either side of the condenser for the mounting of the intercooler
Drained AC line
Removed stock plugs/installed NGK 6510 plugs
Removed stock injectors/installed Bosch 1000 injectors
Drained raditator
Removed fuse box/computer
Removed AC line going into the firewall
Installed drivers side header
Mocked up turbo to drivers side header
Installed passenger side header
Connected K member/motor mounts-make sure you get the 15mm nut on the drivers side motor mount before tightening the K member!

Day 2:
Tried to install the AC line and it would not install; there is an adaptor that goes into the compressor and then the AC line from On3 connects to that; we spent close to 4 hours trying to get it to line up and install and it cross threaded so we gave up; it had to be done before the pasenger side turbo was installed and I am driving it without AC until I can get another line made.

Installed the drivers side turbo and wrapped up early since Bobby had a wedding to attend.

Day 3:
On the phone with On3 multiple times to ask how the pipng routed since the pics were useless; received better pics and mounted the cold side piping. We had to remove the computer from the bracket and attach it to a bracket mounted to the passenger side of the timing cover and it is resting on the fan. The fuse box is moved as well and is not secured but where it is sitting it is not going anywhere. I had to remove the windshield washer resovoir since the fuse box is sitting where the w/w neck normally sits-team delete shit-and luckily I have a FSB delete/BMR rad support in place as I have no idea how the IC/piping would have fit with the stock FSB in place.

Day 4:
I had to run the water lines which I had never done before and while it sounded easy it was not; I used Fore lines and fittings from Summit which included 90 degree swivels and Y's so I could route the inlet/outlet into the turbo's. I used an adapter that plumbs into the upper and lower radiator hose which was fun to install...Ford glued the lower radiatior clamp to the lower rad hose and I had no way of pulling the lower hose off since the IC piping was already run...sigh.....so....after that took 6 hours to install Bobby came by after work and we routed the vaccum lines for the BOV/WG, put the front end back together and drove it to the hotel.

I needed to put 350 miles on it before the dyno session the next day so off I went; I hade 115 that afternoon/night on it, went to bed and looked forward to the dyno.

Day 5:
Got up and started driving; I was on I-485 outer loop and smelled coolant..hmmm...saw mist coming out of the hood vent..uh oh....temps started climbing and I stopped; popped the hood and the upper rad hose had come apart from the barb I installed....sigh.....had my tools with me so I tightened the clamp and discovered the clamp while still on was defective, it would not tighten anymore...why it waited for over 200 miles to fail is beyond me but whatever...but....my dumbass brought tools but no water with me, I mean why would I need water for a water cooled turbo, right? I was a mile from an exit so I started the car and limped it to the exit where temps hit the red; shut it off and asked people waiting at the stop light for water; a lady had a half gallon of coolant/water in a jub which she gave me, poured it in the resovoir and limped the car another mile to a 7/11 where I added 2 gals of water....gulp....found a a Carquest, bought 2 new clamps, replaced the faulty clamps and started driving again since the car should cool down faster running the water pump/fan. Temps were normal and off to the dyno.

I had 302 miles on the turbo's when the car went on the dyno; first pull the IC piping blew off the bottom; second pull the IC piping came off the drivers side turbo...grrrr....made more pulls and could not figure out why we were only making 4 lbs of boost ??????? looked at the piping/connections and discovered the passengers side coupling came off the turbo.....sigh....tightened everything and saw 8 psi on the pull, success!!!!

Well....so we thought.....made 560 hp/510 tq and the MAF was getting pegged...Dan was baffled on this one, made some adjustments and was not getting any better results so we stopped there since we did not want to risk it. Interesting thing was the 02's were installed/plugged in but Dan could not get any readings off of them ??????? come to find out when Bobby powdercoated the exhaust manifolds he forgot to put a plug on the bung so the bung was powdercoated and was not allowing the 02's to be grounded...oops....so....not sure if that is related to my MAF pegging or not, I will talk to Dan about it when he gets back from vacation.

It is going to sound as though I am making excuses but contributing factors to my low numbers:

Turbo's may not have been broken in
95 degree heat on the dyno
12-13 dyno runs
02's not being grounded
From what I have been told the 2013/14's do not make the power on the dyno nor run the numbers at the track that the 2011/12's do; there is something in the software that SCT/tuners have not been able to crack/get around so that may contribute to my lower numbers.

I would have been happy if I was in the 650 range but they are what they are....I drove back 5 hours/350 miles and avg 21-22 mpg with no driveability issues at all and when the turbo's hit WOW do they hit! I learned with the sport shift to drop it to 4 and have the rpm's between 3-4k and nail it, hang on! 80-100/110 comes on in what feels like 1 second!

So....after all that....initial impression is it was not worth it and I should have put a Paxton/Vortech on it and be done with the install in 8 hours and for cheaper....this is why I can't be a salesman when I retire from the Navy as I can't lie to customers/perspective customers and tell them to buy this kit...my impressions might change if the 02 issue resolves the low power issue and I need to see how it does at the track before offering the verdict.

stephen1371

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry about the bad streak your having, but it sounds like it will be a beast once you get the issue worked out.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
I love your honesty Greg! Made me a little sick reading it! Man what an ordeal, sorry about all the problems, but you did agree to be the test dummy:)

Good luck with it, maybe after some time to reflect back on it, maybe it will look a little better to you, hopefully!!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate Greg's honesty. If the kit sucks to install for them, its going to suck for almost everyone. Luckily for them since they are a vendor they have access to ON3 that some of us wont.

The Big Herm

Build in Progress
Reaction score
Sounds like an adventure, for sure. I was expecting much better results. After you got the plumbing issues fixed and cooling issues what were iats? Is there an advantage to water cooled turbos over other types other than the obvious?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

vic2186

Reaction score
I actually thought to buy a on3 TT kit but I knew turbo cars are big headaches and any little thing causes them to go crazy..don't get me wrong if everything is in tip top shape they move the hell out...but to much of a hassle ..paxton/vortech is a set it and forget it setup..
M
Sorry it came to this it will suck to uninstall just to reinstall another force induction solution..good luck!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It may not be all bad. I'd bet you have already thought up a few improvements since the install. Your experience with this kit will help with other projects down the road or maybe even this one. I'd think that running twice the pipes as a single would be somewhat frustrating. There's only so much room for the parts.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
this is why I can't be a salesman when I retire from the Navy as I can't lie to customers/perspective customers and tell them to buy this kit...

And this is why I'd buy from you.

On a related note, where do you get AC lines made? I need to replace the stock hard lines.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an adventure, for sure. I was expecting much better results. After you got the plumbing issues fixed and cooling issues what were iats? Is there an advantage to water cooled turbos over other types other than the obvious?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I am not sure what the IAT's were, I would have to ask Dan; I watched/helped Jeremy through so many issues when he had the oil fed turbo that I swore if I ever went turbo I would not do an oil fed one.

I am not smart on turbo's so I listened to Jeremy/Bobby on what to get and the water setup is what they both recommended.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I actually thought to buy a on3 TT kit but I knew turbo cars are big headaches and any little thing causes them to go crazy..don't get me wrong if everything is in tip top shape they move the hell out...but to much of a hassle ..paxton/vortech is a set it and forget it setup..
M
Sorry it came to this it will suck to uninstall just to reinstall another force induction solution..good luck!

Believe it or not I came very close to stopping where we were and taking it off.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It may not be all bad. I'd bet you have already thought up a few improvements since the install. Your experience with this kit will help with other projects down the road or maybe even this one. I'd think that running twice the pipes as a single would be somewhat frustrating. There's only so much room for the parts.

What I was expecting to be the hardest part was the removal/install of the exhaust manifolds and that was relatively easy...granted, we had a lift which helped immensely.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And this is why I'd buy from you.

On a related note, where do you get AC lines made? I need to replace the stock hard lines.

Thanks for the kind words!

I need to see if someone local can make the AC line; On3 is out of stock and won't have any in for 3 weeks.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Great review. Get maf issue fixed and should see better numbers. I know some peoe have issue extendeding maf but others have figured it out.

from my S4 in your sisters bed

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can get the HPX maf if needed but I would like someone smart tuning wise to tell me if the 02's not working right would affect the maf.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Yep....+1 on the honesty! Man your going through the stuff I run from. After a long day at work with a fleet of ambulances that is the last thing I'd wanna come home to which is a bunch of frustration. Jeezus, makes me definitely wanna stay with a PD blower lol. Good luck man, you'll get it going. Like others said, it will be sick when it's right!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back