2015 Mustang "World Records" Ahahahaha

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Well, if you can bust the half shafts with a NA car, then obviously they won't last 2 blocks from your house with any kind of power adder. Well done Ford.... more fubar engineering.

In fords defense they don't make the car with your aftermarket mods in mind, so I wouldn't talk shit about their engineering just yet.
They have been giving us engines that handle more than 40-50% over stock power.
I think we were a bit spoiled with the stick axle being so stout.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
In fords defense they don't make the car with your aftermarket mods in mind, so I wouldn't talk shit about their engineering just yet.

very true, but it feels like a big downgrade for drag racers which they where quick to promote on their drag videos compared to our prior solid 8.8 rear ends.

I really hope those IRS turn out very strong and gives us a lot of traction for the future of the mustang.

claudermilk

Reaction score

This. I'm sure they tested them plenty...with the use case of 99.9% of the buyers in mind. For the 0.1% lunatic fringe (which mostly lives on this board), those parts were going to be broken/replaced anyway. I've seen plenty of carnage pics of the stick axle around here, too.

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
10 second coyote stock cars are more exciting to watch than 8 second auto cars. Hate to say it but it is true:

true story, very easy to see the difference in excitement than a soft smooth pass down the track just holding the steering wheel.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

What mods? All that AM has done to their NA car is drag tires on the rear,skinnies on the front, a few suspension mods..and a CAI + tune.

Bottom line is...if a CAI + tune, plus sticky rear tires can bust half shafts on the 4th pass, they didn't engineer it correctly the 1st time. A new owner will break em....eventually. It might take 6-18 months...but they will eventually succumb to metal fatigue. It would take a helluva lot stronger alloy to not break. It will take an even stronger alloy, to not break when the power adder is thrown into the mix.

This mess will come to bite them. They need to address this asap.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
What mods? All that AM has done to their NA car is drag tires on the rear,skinnies on the front, a few suspension mods..and a CAI + tune.

Bottom line is...if a CAI + tune, plus sticky rear tires can bust half shafts on the 4th pass, they didn't engineer it correctly the 1st time. A new owner will break em....eventually. It might take 6-18 months...but they will eventually succumb to metal fatigue. It would take a helluva lot stronger alloy to not break. It will take an even stronger alloy, to not break when the power adder is thrown into the mix.

I buy a car. I put slicks and skinnies on it, I take it to the track. I break car, Fords fault!:asshat:

I'm going to go jump my F-150 now. I'm sure it will be fine.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I buy a car. I put slicks and skinnies on it, I take it to the track. I break car, Fords fault!:asshat:

I'g going to go jump my F-150 now. I'm sure it will be fine.

You don't see any 05-14 cars, in NA form, busting drive shafts. This 2015 is a step backwards. Sure, they offer IRS.... provided you don't drag race at the track, or the street. IMO, it's a pita as is to modify these cars so they actually work. Every 05-14 I have seen, including GT-500's, has the axle sticking out the driver's side. They all require an adj PHB, more fubar. Hit some bumps going around corner's, and they all do the 2 step..and dance about, back end kicks out. An adj PHB is the bare minimum. A stick axle really needs a watts link. The oem ford traction lok 'differential', that spews fluid all over the place is more junk. They shoulda come standard with a tru-trac + catch can.

If ford was smart, they could either install the correct parts, or at least offer them as an option. Offering some of this stuff as an option would pacify every ones needs. Ford could also make a pile of $$ with the various options. I can see why they went with irs on the 15 car. Stick axle cars wouldn't sell in EU or anywhere else. They want cars that do more than go fast in a straight line. They want brakes that work too.

That 2 piece oem steel DS at you local ford dealer is a whopping $1350 They coulda used a 1 piece AL ds..like a dss-ds...and saved a bunch of $$..and weight. 2 piece spark plugs...gimme a break.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score

I can understand your point. If I may... We also do not see many 2005-2014 with Turbos or Superchargers snapping them on a regular basis as well correct? Or is changing the axles a standard part of the process when adding a turbo or s-charger?

One thing I wonder as well... Once they build a stronger axle, what breaks next? In other words... Most engineering has some portion of damage control. If you make the axle the item to break before another more expensive part does, what happens when that safety net is removed?

There is always a balance... But Ford is not new to axle breaking. At some point you can only design a car for every day use. And if there are those that want to play, they need to change parts that can keep up. THis is not Ford's responsibility as long as normal use does not prove this to be an issue.

I too wonder if all one has to to as do a tune and change a few exhaust items to snap an axle... This needs to be looked at and can hurt sales... Maybe this is a fluke? Bad cast?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
On radials you'll never break the car. Drag racers will probably need to upgrade. I think most IRS's have been this way, it must be a materials cost/weight/nvh thing. The car has to get built to meet a certain target and it does that.

You must be able to do a burnout and spin the tires without smashing your teeth out due to wheelhop. That's pretty good.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Am I the only one remembering the issues with wheelhop with the stick cars that needed aftermarket parts to fix?

Am I the only one remembering 8.8 SRA cars twisting axle tubes on sticky tires?

Am I the only one remembering people upgrading to 31 spline axles in the rear on SRA cars?

Everyone's acting like the 8.8 was a built 9" out of the factory. It had plenty of flaws as well and people worked around them. Besides people will make SRA drop in kits for those of you who really want it. I can't wait for the next Shelby to have a rear axle that doesn't feel like it's plotting to kill me when i hit a bump on corner exit while on the power, and I'd be willing to bet that Ford will have a heavier duty bushing and axle package on any factory Shelby car in a year or two to provide a middle ground upgrade for people who don't want to buy the FRP parts.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back