298....tr6060.....67mm@20 psi.....in progress!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
block was dropped off this morning! the said it didnt look to bad and will try honing it first. they will be using torque plates. so i wont know about pistons until they give me a call on the bad cylinder.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
block was dropped off this morning! the said it didnt look to bad and will try honing it first. they will be using torque plates. so i wont know about pistons until they give me a call on the bad cylinder.

If you don't mind my asking, who did you take it to?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Engine lab in Tampa. Cleanest and most professional machine shop I have ever dealt with! Great customer service as well. They did my heads on the last motor.

When I get my other parts together they will do the digital balancing up to 7000 rpm.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Machine shop honed it to 3.555 to get rid of the bad spot.

Diamond fully coated pistons are $1150

Manley fully coated pistons are $799

Machine shop is holding onto the block until I get the pistons, then they will machine .020 over based on the new pistons. Supposedly the Manley pistons are pretty nice, havnt seen any reason at this point not to go with them.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
No, the .020 are hard to find but not custom. Will still take 3-4 weeks I'm told if I do the coated Manley.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
.020 over bore is a standard size I thought didnt realize they were hard to find. When I bought my diamond pistons from the link above it has a drop down for bore size.

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
Machine shop honed it to 3.555 to get rid of the bad spot.

Diamond fully coated pistons are $1150

Manley fully coated pistons are $799

Machine shop is holding onto the block until I get the pistons, then they will machine .020 over based on the new pistons. Supposedly the Manley pistons are pretty nice, havnt seen any reason at this point not to go with them.
You can run standard bore pistons with that size bore. As long as the bores are straight at 3.555. I run 3.555 bore size with Manley 3.552 pistons. I have ceramic hard anodized Manleys in mine.

One difference between Manley and Diamond is the Malney pistons have a much thinner wrist pin, but you can get them upgraded depending on your needs. I run the 9310 pins with mine which are the top of the line for the Manley pistons. 9310 is harder than 4140 or 4340 whichever chromoly pins come standard with Manley pistons.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
.020 over bore is a standard size I thought didnt realize they were hard to find. When I bought my diamond pistons from the link above it has a drop down for bore size.

with the full coating and with the compression i was wanting they dont stock them. while they are not really custom, in a way they are becuase of the extra things i want. so they will need to be made a diamond and then sent to me. i have been dealing with dale at Modmax.....awesome customer service i may add, he spent a ton of time with me!

i was originally asking for 8.8:1 , so if i go with 9.1:1 then it may change things a little.

P/N 595520C-8 for a -14cc (9.51:1). This is the .020 over stroker production model? are these what you are looking for?

9.1:1 is the highest compression i want to run, i run 93 pump with 16-17psi on the street

You can run standard bore pistons with that size bore. As long as the bores are straight at 3.555. I run 3.555 bore size with Manley 3.552 pistons. I have ceramic hard anodized Manleys in mine.

One difference between Manley and Diamond is the Malney pistons have a much thinner wrist pin, but you can get them upgraded depending on your needs. I run the 9310 pins with mine which are the top of the line for the Manley pistons. 9310 is harder than 4140 or 4340 whichever chromoly pins come standard with Manley pistons.

they are torque plate honing/boring,.003 is a little too much i think for clearance. id like to be closer to .0025. plus i want them to go a little deaper on that damaged sleeve just to be safe. since im ordering pistons i dont want to take any chances of the pistons being too small once they show up.rather go slightly bigger and have it bored to match with no issues.

diamond also has a upgraded wrist pin as well for an extra $19 per pin.

Last edited:

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I believe I have all my data for pistons and rings.

Specs:
2618 material
.866 pin
3.75 stroke
5.85 rod length
9.1:1 compression
.020 over
Coated side skirts
Coated top
4130 wrist pins

MMR
$699 manley pistons
$250 coating
$140 total seal CS826425 rings (also recommended by total seal)
"Few days" turn around

Modmax
$840 coated Manley pistons
$190 Modmax rings
6 days turn around

Dale from Modmax has been awesome, so looks like I'm ordering on Monday.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good choice I give as much business as I can to modmax, cutomer service is great and it doesn't hurt that they have good prices as well. I check there first whenever Im looking for engine related stuff. Just got my ati superdamper from them as well.

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
they are torque plate honing/boring,.003 is a little too much i think for clearance. id like to be closer to .0025. plus i want them to go a little deaper on that damaged sleeve just to be safe. since im ordering pistons i dont want to take any chances of the pistons being too small once they show up.rather go slightly bigger and have it bored to match with no issues.

diamond also has a upgraded wrist pin as well for an extra $19 per pin.
.003 is what Manley recommends on the modular pistons with moly skirt coating and .004 without. I see what you are saying about the pistons potentially being too small and by the time you have the cylinder honed to the ring specs the clearance would probably be closer to .004 which is a little loose when running the moly skirt coating.

What coatings are you having done on the Manley pistons?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
They come from Manley with the skirts coated ( which you probably know), I'm having them add the thermal coating to the tops. Wasn't real expensive so it should be worth it.

Next I'm hunting for bearings....

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Last edited:

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
do you have stroker? then you need 18 cc's to get arround 9.1 or if you have stock displacement crank you need like 14cc's, i have never seen a manley platinum piston melted they are good. For me manley and Diamond are the best, i've seen many CP's melted too...

Dale Metlika is agood friend of mines he is a great guy to deal with...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back