3 Valve spring Swap

shikwann

forum member
Reaction score
I have done a ton of searches before diving into this. I need some help because I'm afraid that my valves may fall if I don't get the proper instructions.

1. I'm at TDC
2. The followers (rockers) are removed
3. I have a spark plug air compressor
4. 3 valve spring tool being used

Ok So just for reference when at TDC the piston should be at the highest point on cylinder #1 correct?

With the piston being at the top of its peak on cylinder #1 I insert the spark plug adapter shoot about 80 psi while someone else holding the crank bolt and I STILL hear air coming out of the engine!:wtf:
I don't want to proceed with the swap because I'm afraid that with the loss in pressure and that damn kick that happens when I put compressed air in, my valve will fall! Man you guys make it seem soooo easy to do a valve spring swap, I wish someone was near by to help me with this... Nonetheless, I need some guidance guys.

I read a bit where as long as the piston is at the highest peak in any given cylinder I don't need to have air compressed in the cylinder. Is that true? Will the valve still hold up if I compressed the spring without air?????:mad2:

1fast05

I wanna go fast
Reaction score
Man I wish you luck!! I just changed the valve stem seals in my wife's car and if you are using the otc tool, You got a rude awakening coming!! If you already have all the followers off then just add the pressure to the cylinder(no need to hold the crank shaft bolt) The motor will probably turn but just make sure its in neutral and all your fingers are out of the way, And make sure you plug all the oil drain back holes!!! Those tiny ass little keepers are no fun if you drop one into the oil pan!!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For starters the 127100 cams are a waste of time, go with at least 127300.

I'm using this guide:

http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/hammeron/cams/hotrodcams.html

I've also looked at this, but there is no real detail with my problem:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=165

The first guide is basicly useless for valve springs, but is good for removing the stock cams once the stock cams are out use the valve spring removeale instructions from the second link. Make sure the cylinder you are working on the springs with is pressurized before you try to remove the spring.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Man I wish you luck!! I just changed the valve stem seals in my wife's car and if you are using the otc tool, You got a rude awakening coming!!

+1

I just assembled my 3V heads off of the engine and the OTC 3V tool sucks!! Whomever designed that tool and marketed for the 3V engine should have his ass whipped. I ended up using a 2V tool which wasn't much better but at least I got the job done

shikwann

forum member
Reaction score
Well its worked ok so far the tool that is. I'm going to give it another shot! I'll report in a few mins, with the first swap.

blue streak

forum member
Reaction score
i will be doing this soon. what is the best tool to use? link? and you have to be at tdc of the compression stroke. not much air should come out of engine then. sounds like you are at tdc on the exhaust stroke.

1fast05

I wanna go fast
Reaction score
If all the followers are out then it won't matter if it is at top dead center

shikwann

forum member
Reaction score
Well about 15 mins I finished my first valve spring swap! It's was indeed a PITA! I had to grab a washer because the tool doesn't seem to have enough reach as it is. Now I have 24 more to go... : (

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I had to grab a washer because the tool doesn't seem to have enough reach as it is.

That's exactly what I was referring to - the tool doesn't have enough reach/stroke to remove/install the springs properly. That's why I gave up on the 3V tool and used a 2V tool.

HC_Tad

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not trying to toot my own horn here but I think anyone else contemplating this job should check our Freedom Racing 3V Valve Spring Compressor. http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/3V-Valve-Spring-Compressor-FR-FR-303-1039-TD.htm

Here are some more details...

FR-303-1039-TDInstructions.jpg

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well about 15 mins I finished my first valve spring swap! It's was indeed a PITA! I had to grab a washer because the tool doesn't seem to have enough reach as it is. Now I have 24 more to go... : (

Bend the 2 legs down a bit using a vice then it will give you the space needed, if it's a renatal tool then use a thin peice of plastic to raise it up.

ValveRemoveStep1.jpg

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
Another tool modification is to use a threaded rod coupler
and a bolt.
When installing springs that are taller than stock,
it can be tough to get the 3v wheel to start on the threads.

This tip came from another forum member.

fixed2a.jpg

shikwann

forum member
Reaction score
Bend the 2 legs down a bit using a vice then it will give you the space needed, if it's a renatal tool then use a thin peice of plastic to raise it up.

ValveRemoveStep1.jpg
You're a GENIUS! Man why didn't I think of that!?
Thanks everyone now I have enough leverage to pull these suckers in and out!:beer: I'll report back when I have one side finished.

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
You can rotate the engine so that the piston on the cylinder you are working on is at it's highest point, then if a valve does drop, the piston will catch it before it falls into the cylinder.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back