3650 tear down/install

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
He also broke that shit twice running mid 12's. lol

Corpo

I
Reaction score
I only posted it so everyone else can see the neat build. I found this build a little while ago and it came up in conversation here so I thought I would share.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
After looking at this i should have gone with the 26 spline input shaft over a cryo treated one in my liberty 3650. i feel sad.

OP, are you changing gear sets or sticking with the factory ratios?

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
After looking at this i should have gone with the 26 spline input shaft over a cryo treated one in my liberty 3650. i feel sad.

OP, are you changing gear sets or sticking with the factory ratios?

that's the only thing I'm not tearing into are the gear sets. So yes they will stay factory.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score

I wouldn't say it's horrible, unless that was a bit sarcastic. He says their fine in the street, but I mean you have to time it all just right to prevent breaking teeth and more than likely quick shift most of the time. That is something I would rather not deal with for a street car.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
LOL, then how do you know if it's built properly? It's kinda like Darren knowing if he has a car issue without actually driving it.

Well I ran it on a high speed drill and went through all the gears multiple times.
I didn't lose any parts, I torqued everything/lubed to spec etc...

If I took it apart exactly how it went together how is it going to shit the bed?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's horrible, unless that was a bit sarcastic. He says their fine in the street, but I mean you have to time it all just right to prevent breaking teeth and more than likely quick shift most of the time. That is something I would rather not deal with for a street car.

It's fine, I was being sarcastic. I guess you run into wear issues eventually. Plus I think these setups are prohibitively expensive, even compared to the prohibitively expensive T56 "Magnum" "XL."

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
well I went down last night and couldn't find my steel base for my indicator so I couldn't get an accurate reading (same measurement twice) so I am headed to the shop now to get it set and then hopefully back together today!

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Well today started off great and ended great, which is a success!

First I had to get my end play set, I had a steel plate bolted across the tail end of the main housing so I could set the magnetic base up. I ended up at or around .0025".

A picture of the assorted shims for the main shaft.

duvusu2e.jpg

After that it was pretty much clean parts and assemble, it's really just the reverse of the disassembly so I didn't take many pictures.

y5e5y8aj.jpg

u6u5uvu9.jpg

azy7ega4.jpg

Here are the double rolled pins for the 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th forks.

3u8ary3a.jpg

e3yty6yj.jpg

Next was all about buttoning it up and putting everything back the way it was. I used black rtv for the sealant as it's plenty for a transmission case. You can also use copper rtv I just didn't have mine at the shop as it was at home.

azu9u3u5.jpg

ata7e9u3.jpg

ebyqe8aj.jpg

Finished it all and made a little stand for it out of some spare 2x4 so I could fill it while being level, I haven't filled it yet. I am going to let the rtv set up and cure before I do so. Not sure when I will get to it. Probably next weekend, but it is finished and I am pretty excited. I am one step closer to being finished.

As far as fluid wise...

anu2ehur.jpg

Comparison between the 10 spline and 26 spline for shits and giggles.

jy2unupe.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'm a little jealous you didn't cause any bodily harm like I did.

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
I need to replace the tailshaft seal and speedo sensor O-ring in mine. O-ring is obvious. The tailshaft seal - It looks like a simple case of popping off the flange, prying the old seal out, and pushing the new one in. Any magic beyond that?

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice write up.

Thank you sir!

I'm a little jealous you didn't cause any bodily harm like I did.

lol if you look in the last series of pictures the upper left of my wrist was cut while putting in the 14 bellhousing bolts while it was standing up during assembly.

also before the tear down started I had to carry the transmission across the shop to put it on the table to be torn down, I did get a few cuts doing that too. all in all not to bad!

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I need to replace the tailshaft seal and speedo sensor O-ring in mine. O-ring is obvious. The tailshaft seal - It looks like a simple case of popping off the flange, prying the old seal out, and pushing the new one in. Any magic beyond that?

Well there are actually two rear seals, there is one in the tail shaft housing itself and there is also one in the rear flange behind the nut/washer mating with the flange.

What is wrong with your speedometer ring? I am assuming you don't have to replace the gear just the lock ring?

but no there really isn't any magic beyond that, just remove the flange with the puller, remove the shifter linkages and you should be able to remove the 12 tailshaft housing bolts and pull it off.

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Nah - Speedo sensor O-ring - It's just weeping a bit of fluid. I know it can be done in-car.

Does the tailshaft have to come off to do those two rear seals or could they be done in car?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back