3v Termi X users

Discussion in '2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L Tech' started by Mustang dog, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

Hi all, just looking for info on how to and what is needed to install the termi x stand alone in my 07 3V, Paxton 2200HD build.

There isn’t a lot of info out there for this, and what’s there is a bit confusing. Any and all help from you pioneers is greatly appreciated!

2. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

I think the Holley system is pretty much plug and play. The kit should be complete with whatever sensors and wiring you need. I think you hae to specify certain specs to get the right connectors for the various controllers.

Why are we wanting to go with the Holley set up? Why not go with something like HP Tuners?

3. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

The support for 3v and tuning, is becoming more limited, especially in light of the EPA affecting what remote tuners are able to do. My thoughts are to take this control back and learn to tune and manage this on my own.

BAD3VLV likes this.
  4. Juice

Juice forum member

I seriously doubt the Holley system will pass smog.

5. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

Well just go with HP Tuners software then. That's about the easiest transition you can do if you want to do your own tuning. Or go with Lito, he's in S. America and doubt he gives a shit about the EPA.

6. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

Im in Canada, we aern't directly affected by EPA rules. But, indirectly we are, tuning parameters, products available for sale..

7. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

I used Lito, for 5 + years and will continue to do this. However.... He is the only one left, that tunes our cars with any degree certainty, so what happens if he quits? or moves on to another widely supported engine, or our current OEM ECU access (for tuning) becomes illegal .

I will alway use Lito, even with a stand alone ECU. But I'm looking for future install and tuning independence, because your EPA.

From what I can see Your EPA gonna shut down your hot rods in the States in the next 5 years. So I figured I would start planning ahead

8. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

I would actually suggest the ProRacer SCT software then. You can continue getting support from Lito and if he ever goes away you can take over tuning yourself and don't have to install any added electronics or sensors. Plus I'm not sure what systems out there will work with VCT or returnless fuel systems. I think if you go with a stand alone unit you are opening a can of worms, from a new fuel system, igntion coils, installing new cam and crank sensors. It's plug and play but you have to probably install the right stuff to get it plugged in properly. Just seems like a big headache and lots of things to go wrong when there are simpler alternatives that will work just as well or better.

But as far as your original question, have you contaced holley? I'm sure their tech support can tell you exactly what you need to make the transition. You don't need a tranny controller so that is one plus but I'm also not sure you will not get all the other Ford stuff to work like instrument cluster and what have you.

9. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

Ive spoken with Holley, and they have steered me in the right direction ( for the most part). The Termi X is what they suggest unless I want the ability to monitor 8 additional parameters, compared to the Termi x ( dual wideband etc). Both with operate DBW.
    My build already uses a return fuel system,( on e85) I need to lock out my VCT 100% instead of just limited, Like I have now, and honestly I need to move to smart coils, as I am pretty much at my limit with the Oem, coils and the amount of boost I will be running. This is not a FBO car, its becoming more race car only.
    I still think the Holley is the choice, I know a few guys on this forum have run Holley Termi, X with a 3v so thats why I started this thread.

BAD3VLV likes this.
  10. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

I think I've seen more guys use BS3 but I never paid close attention. I'm building BBC to put into a 2nd gen F-body and plan on using a Holley's Sniper set up to run the engine.

11. BAD3VLV

BAD3VLV Junior Member

There is no Termi x plug and play for the 3v. You have to adapt one from a 2v/4v. I spoke with Holley a few weeks ago because I was worried about the same thing you are.

eighty6gt and Mustang dog like this.
  12. RED09GT

RED09GT Equal Opportunity Offender S197 Team Member

If you are going to adapt a system to work with the 3V and you don't need VCT controls, why not swap to a copperhead ECU from an 11+ mustang?
    It can run a 6R80 transmission better than any standalone and can be tuned to make a grand plus with HP tuners.
    As long as you have the right inputs, the ECU doesn't care what it is powering. It is more of a function of getting the rest of the car to play nice with it.

13. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

Agreed, it’s because of vct the 3v uses. This is why you need to lock out your cams(mine are limited).
    I would go with the 4v kit, this way you can decide if you dbw, or cable actuated.and if I decide to go ;v in the future.

I was not aware that you could dump the 3v oak system and adapt the copperhead to work. My only concern is now I’m still married to a Ford ECU, and all the possible limitations future or otherwise attached to that. I’ll look into more for sure.

Thanks !

BAD3VLV likes this.
  14. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

I'm fortunate not to have that headache living in Cyprus. The only requirements here are to retain the cats (no off-road mid-pipe allowed), pass the tailpipe sniffer test (HC & CO) as part of the mandatory vehicle inspection every two years, and keep the maximum sound level from the exhaust not higher than 95dB . Therefore I have the freedom to mod my 3V any way I want within those parameters, and they aren't bothered if you have an aftermarket tune as long as there's no CEL.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  15. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

We have no sniffers no anything here, just noise bylaws. It’s the availability of products and some services here. We are 100% dependant on US for mods. So if it affects you guys south it affects us here as well just not directly. Glad the EPA is on the case, cause it’s has 0 effect on China, Russia, Saudi…

16. ponys197

ponys197 forum member

I would do the hollley. I did and while you do have to adapt some things - the 2V kit with the Coyote gas pedal and DBW harness will let you get it running. Mine is a street car still - can drive it easily on the street on the Holley. The control the Holley gives you versus the factory ecu - night and day. The only real downside is unless you run the dash - either the 7" or the pro dash's you will have to piggy back to have gauges or go all Holley like I did. Feel free to reach out me about the install and what i ran into for making it work.

dash setup - [​IMG]

This is would be a 9 second 1/4 mile time slip - E85 on the Holley - i don't think the stock ECU would have let me get that far.
    [​IMG]

BAD3VLV likes this.
  17. BAD3VLV

BAD3VLV Junior Member

@Mustang dog my car is already locked out so it should make it easier then. @ponys197 I'm looking to make the change to Holley next year sometime, I'll definitely hit you up when I do.

18. ponys197

ponys197 forum member

BAD3VLV likes this.
  19. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

Awesome car man , and thank you for the honest advice.

20. Mustang dog

Mustang dog forum member

Bad ass car. well done!

BAD3VLV likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.