4.6 engine

must007

forum member
Reaction score
4.6 engine removal Thanks

Engine is in and all working good so far no issues it was a lot more work than I thought but it was well wroth it, thank you all for the help/advise and TexasBlownV8 for the special tooling.

thanks

Block came in yesterday they look identical head gasket kit will be here today, front and rear main seal cover is there anything special to look out for during installation any help will be appreciated. I was surprised on how small the pistons are on the 4.6 engines.

thanks

New question, I did search with no luck, when removing the engine is there a tool or were is the best place on the engine to attach the chains or straps for removal ??

thanks

Is the 06 short block the same as the 09 meaning are the heads the only difference or is there more ?? I cracked my 09 block and I found an 06 can I swap short blocks ?? Any help will be appreciate

thanks

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Bullitt 4.6 is the same. The older mach 1 4.6 was modestly upgraded. You could throw some Boss rods and forged pistons in that '06 block and have a decent 600whp capable motor. An extra $400 over the boss rods will get you forged rods though. Many options available.

must007

forum member
Reaction score
what would be the recommended head gasket brand and should i replace the head bolts the engine only had 25K,

d3vst8r96gt

forum member
Reaction score
If its a mustang engine its the same from 05-09 4.6

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

must007

forum member
Reaction score
I did search with no luck, when removing the engine is there a tool or were is the best place on the engine to attach the chains or straps for removal ??

thanks

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I use a chain. Attatch to spare alternator bolt and spare tranny bolt, at those pick points. Worked well on many picks.

must007

forum member
Reaction score
702GT, I understand spare alternator bolt but I am not sure on spare tranny bolt location, thanks

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Remove the intake manifold and alternator as well as the top two transmission to motor bolts and use those bolt holes. Also get a load leveler. It makes taking the engine in or out super easy.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Remove the intake manifold and alternator as well as the top two transmission to motor bolts and use those bolt holes. Also get a load leveler. It makes taking the engine in or out super easy.

That's how I've done it 6 times now. Just use spare bolts as mentioned. They do get damaged.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I just went out and got some 8.8 or better bolts and used them. I don't trust the stock fasteners.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
This is how I pulled the stock motor:

DSC07465.jpg

DSC07466.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back