5.0 died and will not start

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
Hate to tell you but warranty will be voided. Ford released that new TSB that, summed up, states that if you have an aftermarket tune that has changed the timing whatsoever or aftermarket performance parts, warranty will be voided. Doesn't state that directly, but Ford will bend you over backwards and tell you that. Also if the knock sensor settings have been adjusted whatsoever, then it's SOL for you.

This is one of the reasons I'm waiting until after my warranty is out to begin modding my car.

dmhines

KONA GT
Reaction score
One of the decision boxes in the TSB asks if mods found explain failure. So all hope for warranty is not lost.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I took the belt off...still no luck.
So I got looking on the net about same issue...
Found a guy who had to have his engine replaced at 3500 miles...found out his engine ran out of oil. Engine read like 70% Oil Life, No Low Oil Level Warning lamps. Ford replaced his.
So I went out and checked her car... NO OIL ON DIP STICK....I just checked oil back in May before I left for Japan cause she said she needed Windshield washer fluid. Oil level checked good, between the lines. There is no signs of burnt oil inside of exhaust tips. I have followed her many of times and never a puff of smoke either. I remember her oil level life said 30% the other day when the P349 code showed up. Never got a low oil level lamp or any indication of issue. I am BEYOND PISSED OFF!!!
Trying together my senses and calm myself before I have dealership to pick the car up. I know it's not their fault, they just get stuck in the middle. I'm just curious how the Ford Engineer is going to try and prove that a Tune, CAI and Exhaust was the cause of the failure. I don't know how in a months time it lose that much oil and why no warning of oil level.

I would add some oil to see exactly how low the oil was. Just because there was no oil on the dipstick doesn't mean it was dangerously low. Could have only been 2 quarts low. Add the oil and see how many quarts it takes to bring it back to the full mark.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
Don't get his hopes up. If a dealer doesn't void warranty, then they are being extremely nice about the situation.

Very few manufacturers at this point in time don't have much trouble voiding a warranty for anything aftermarket being added. One thing on any vehicle that makes it highly likely for a dealer to void warranty is having an aftermarket tune, especially.

JerryC

Reaction score
I would not add oil. The dealer may think you tampered with it or otherwise won't agree that "it ran out of oil".

I think the deciding factor is when was the last oil change and who did it.
If Ford did it and it was less than 5K ago, you may have a chance.

JerryC

Reaction score
I sympathize, my wife ran our BroncoII out of oil. I could hear it coming down the street, sounded like six sledgehammers beating each other to death.

She thought there was "something" wrong but that it must not a big deal. The oil light? it was on, been on and she had meaning to tell me for a month or two! ARGHHH. She has also driven 12 miles with the parking brake fully engaged, and only noticed that it stopped better than usual. Oh that cloud of smoke and the smell of burnt brakes? Huh, what cloud or smell??? DOH! "That must be why people kept honking and waving at me..."

I watch her car like a hawk now, she simply has no clue about cars. There's more stories, but I'll stop here... She is getting better but...

Ford fixed the brakes because the E-brake light would not come on... There may be some hope.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
David, I hope your right on the compressor locking up. We was running the A/C when it happened.

Build date is 6/10.

There is absolutely no evidence of burnt oil residue in the exhaust.
I just can't get over the fact of where the oil went and there was no oil level low warning lamp, it showed good pressure and 27% oil life...How do you get oil pressure and 27% oil life if it ran low on oil.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
The oil life monitor has nothing to do with the engine oil level.

The oil life monitor uses calculations from the PCM to determine when the next oil change is due

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
I went to have the oil changed at 5000 miles and the local Ford Dealer said NO...this was when all the Engine Tick issue after early oil changes was coming about. They told me the owners manual says to go 10,000 miles or until the Cluster tells you. If you look in the manual...thats exactly what it says.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
If the Oil Life monitor only goes off of PCM calculations then why when reset when you get the change oil message, after a few miles it goes back to change oil massage again. It wont ever reset untill you actually change the oil. I have seen this on our Expedition. I was under the impression that it measures the viscosity of the oil and thats how it determines the oil life.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system uses information from the powertrain control module (PCM) and an algorithm to calculate the proper oil change interval based on the vehicle operating conditions to provide a maximum oil change interval of 16,000 Km (10,000 miles).

gofomoco66

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problems. I wish you the best of luck with the dealership. I truly hope that everything works out well for ya'll

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Wow that sucks, reminded me to go check my own, it's down to barely reaching the bottom dot. needs oil and I only ahve 1500 miles on mine. actually 1650 now i think, just took it for a nice long drive :) still hast he original oil in it ofcourse.

I hope they warranty it, although it is supposed to be part of something you check everytime you get gas, most people don't bother since new engines don't have a problem with losing/burning oil. Dealerships are probably going to have to start telling people it's imporant to check weekly because they burn through oil.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I don't think the car is low enough on oil to have caused the motor to lock up. The oil light would have come on and if I'm not mistaken these cars have a built in low oil depravation system that will put the car into lymp home mode or even shut the car off entirely. There is something else going on with the car. Low oil isn't the culprit here. That's why I said earlier to fill the car with oil until it's full on the dip stick and see how many quarts it takes. OP--- please do this and see what happens.

Back