5.0 died and will not start

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
well you are supposed to check they oil when the car is warm, after sitting for 15 mins. no oil flowing through the system for days can have it at the bottom even with oil in it so you could be right.

JerryC

Reaction score
The car will run fine with no oil showing on the dipstick. I know because at my first oil change the dealer put in 6 quarts and I drove like that for 800 miles before reading about that happening on a forum. That was 7000+ miles ago.

The dealer told me there is no low oil indicator on the mustang (obviously).

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
your oil light wont turn on till it is basically gone, it wont turn on from being a quart low. you have an oil light (if equiped) according to the manual, refer to pages 11, 12 and 14. you can see where the oil light is on page 12.

JerryC

Reaction score
your oil light wont turn on till it is basically gone, it wont turn on from being a quart low. you have an oil light (if equiped) according to the manual, refer to pages 11, 12 and 14. you can see where the oil light is on page 12.

My assumption is that the light would be for low pressure, not low level.
It's the "it's too late" indicator.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
I change my oil every 3k mi. Full synthetic. Ford filters only. I hope you get it fixed man. Keep us updated.

stangdavid

forum member
Reaction score
David, I hope your right on the compressor locking up. We was running the A/C when it happened.

Build date is 6/10.

There is absolutely no evidence of burnt oil residue in the exhaust.
I just can't get over the fact of where the oil went and there was no oil level low warning lamp, it showed good pressure and 27% oil life...How do you get oil pressure and 27% oil life if it ran low on oil.
you said in an earlier post that you removed the belt. i am assuming that means you only removed the alt belt. like i said earlier i believe you have to cut the a/c one off. the only draw back to doing this is that if you cut it of and it's not the problem Ford may give you a problem on warranty issues. i really hope it turns out to be that or something simple. good luck man

Last edited:

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Keep us posted, I meant to check my oil after reading this thread yesterday. I'll have to remember this time.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Thanks for support guys.
I took only the Alt belt off.
Ironically our sales girl called last night for a one year follow up, we gave her the info and she said she would contact us this morning about havin someone coming and getting car getting problem solved.

JerryC

Reaction score
If the compressor seized while the engine was running, that could have made the burning smell your wife talked about. I'd think you'd probably see that on the belt as well, how does the belt look?

zilla8

Reaction score
I hope you get your car taken care of without a problem from Ford regarding any mods.

my car burned a little oil early on but now with 13K It uses very little and I just check it every other fuel up.

I have a Job 1 car built 5/14/2010

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I hope you get your car taken care of without a problem from Ford regarding any mods.

my car burned a little oil early on but now with 13K It uses very little and I just check it every other fuel up.

I have a Job 1 car built 5/14/2010

Nice, early build with a tune and some miles with no boom! There is hope. :)

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Jerry wasn't able to get a good look at belt, just able to feel the belt that is exposed and reachable.
Have any of you guys heard about a possible of rings being installed upside down on Cylinder 8?
I'll keep you guys posted. Once again thanks for the Support guys.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Jerry wasn't able to get a good look at belt, just able to feel the belt that is exposed and reachable.
Have any of you guys heard about a possible of rings being installed upside down on Cylinder 8?

From another forum

the rings CAN'T be installed "upside down" -- the piston is inserted into a machine top first which is loaded by a stack of about 2-300 piston rings at a time that come in what looks like a roll of paper towel. If it matters which way the ring faces there would be sensors to detect it and the machine wouldn't run. ALL the rings are put at the same time, they're not individually put on by hand.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Sounds like there is a real problem with these new 5.0s especially the early ones, using or at least losing oil. And now the possibility of engines locking up. Maybe I made the right decision in keeping what I have rather than trading in.

But, maybe all you city drivers are really not driving your cars long enough distances to fully seat the rings. I know some of yall have had your cars for some time and even race them and so on. But I had a truck once that I bought new and it used oil from the get go. To the tune of a qt. every 800 to 1000 miles. Took it back to the dealership, they told me if got to a qt. every 500 miles they would put a new engine in. So I took it on a 350 mile road trip and ran the hell out of the whole way there and back thinking I get a new engine out of the deal. I did. IT didn't use another drop of oil the whole time I owned it. Oh, did I mention it was 2 yrs. old when this took place.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like there is a real problem with these new 5.0s especially the early ones, using or at least losing oil. And now the possibility of engines locking up. Maybe I made the right decision in keeping what I have rather than trading in.

ONE person's engine locking up does not constitute a "real problem."

My 5.0 takes 5,000 miles to burn through half a quart of oil.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
ONE person's engine locking up does not constitute a "real problem."

My 5.0 takes 5,000 miles to burn through half a quart of oil.

There have been several posts about our cars being 1-2qts low anywhere from fresh off the lot to before the first oil change.

JerryC

Reaction score

One guy started that theory, but I can tell you since I have done it that if the ring is upside down it burns a lot of oil. At full throttle the car will look like a crop duster.

I did it on one piston, second ring.

Note: don't drink and assemble your engine...

jestang

forum member
Reaction score
David, I hope your right on the compressor locking up. We was running the A/C when it happened.

Build date is 6/10.

There is absolutely no evidence of burnt oil residue in the exhaust.
I just can't get over the fact of where the oil went and there was no oil level low warning lamp, it showed good pressure and 27% oil life...How do you get oil pressure and 27% oil life if it ran low on oil.

My build date is also 6/10. Only problem I've had thus far is surging around 2k rpms .... not sure if that is the Ti-VCT or what. Gotta remember to check my oil today.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back