5.0 died and will not start

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I guess the point I was trying to make is it seems that a lot of these engines are experiencing oil usage in an excessive amount, at least during the first 10,000 miles or so. If Ford is not actively notifying the customers of this issue at time of purchase there will be a lot of these engines seeing the junk yard early. Especially those sold to housewives and non enthusiasts. Most of the people on this forum are mechanically inclined enough to know that oil is supposed to be checked on a regular basis. But, with the majority of people in this world its just "Gas it and go, thats all they know."

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I love all the speculation in this thread about engines locking up and rings installed wrong when the problem hasn't even been identified.

Instead of everyone acting like the sky is falling with the new 5.0, why doesn't this car get dropped off to the dealer and have them really find out what's wrong with it?

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
Mach2burnout

A bunch of these cars came from the factory with low oil levels. The dealer or the buyer did not check the level at the time of purchase and after 3k + it becomes a problem. My car has used a quarter of a quart in 2800 miles. I checked mine before I drove the car home. I seriously don't see junkyards filling up with Coyotes. Don't knock it until you own one.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I love all the speculation in this thread about engines locking up and rings installed wrong when the problem hasn't even been identified.

Instead of everyone acting like the sky is falling with the new 5.0, why doesn't this car get dropped off to the dealer and have them really find out what's wrong with it?

Exactly, I just wanted the OP to fill the fucker up with oil to see exactly how low it was but evidently that was too hard to comprehend.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I sympathize, my wife ran our BroncoII out of oil. I could hear it coming down the street, sounded like six sledgehammers beating each other to death.

She thought there was "something" wrong but that it must not a big deal. The oil light? it was on, been on and she had meaning to tell me for a month or two! ARGHHH. She has also driven 12 miles with the parking brake fully engaged, and only noticed that it stopped better than usual. Oh that cloud of smoke and the smell of burnt brakes? Huh, what cloud or smell??? DOH! "That must be why people kept honking and waving at me..."

I watch her car like a hawk now, she simply has no clue about cars. There's more stories, but I'll stop here... She is getting better but...

Ford fixed the brakes because the E-brake light would not come on... There may be some hope.

My assumption is that the light would be for low pressure, not low level.
It's the "it's too late" indicator.

You're killing me Jerry!!!!:roflmao::roflmao:

If my car burned ANY oil between a 3-5,000 mile interval I'd be smokin mad!(pun intended)

And seating the rings happens almost instantly, so trying to drive it a bazillion miles to "seat the rings" is rediculous. LOL!!!!!!!!

I'll be over ----------------------> kissing my ole '07 4.6 banger.:crazy:

GL to the OP. Doesnt sound good at all.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Thereaper:

I wasn't by any means knocking these cars or engines. I've been patiently waiting the return of the 5.0 since Ford started advertising, actually when the mags started speculating its return. The only reason really I don't have one is because my 4.6 is paid for and I'm just not ready to get back into another note right now. Plus I just got it almost the way I want it. You just proved my point. You being the enthusiast that you are and mechanically inclined enough to know that you should check your oil before you buy this yes even this "new car" because you didn't fill the oil someone else did. To give yourself peace of mind you checked that oil. Not everybody does that. Most people don't. I check mine regularly. I do all my own maintenance and repairs, mods, etc. with exception of tunes.

Synister500

Reaction score
Exactly, I just wanted the OP to fill the fucker up with oil to see exactly how low it was but evidently that was too hard to comprehend.

I agree, my suggestion to him was to drain it instead of adding any. This would reveal 2 things, oil level and if there was any metal in it. I also suggested he pull the plugs to check them, I told him I had read a thread here about #8 cyl. There have been a lot of thing suggested to him but he had already ruled out a lot of simple stuff and made an initial call to the dealership he purchased it from; when he found it low on oil. So he stopped experimenting on looking for possible causes, such as cutting the a/c belt off because he doesn't have the belt or special tool to replace it anyway. This also eliminates any tech saying well you did this or you did that before we had a chance to inspect it. I'm the original OP posting for a friend because he was not a member of this site,and it's his wife's car. He has since joined (RTRBURN) because of the helpful tech advice and feedback I was getting and forwarding on. He asked about the rings because he read on another forum about it. He was looking for feedback. I know he has spoken with Brent at Brenspeed, and even I understand a little more about the tuning on these cars and the parameters they alter now. As he stated earlier Ford called him last night, he was at my house for fireworks, they are coming from Nashville to get the car and giving him a loaner to boot I believe. I agree there is a lot of speculation and nobody will know anything till the motor is opened up. But, he is not pointing fingers at anyone. So if you have come into this thread to bash Ford, bash the 5.0, bash Brenspeed, or anyone for that matter please move on. Sometimes shit just breaks. We rebuild it stronger and boost the hell out of it.

BJ

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score

Well lets back up the wagon here...Saturday Night when car died...Sunday Dealers Closed....Monday was Holiday Service department not in.....Tuesday talk to service department/warranty department...Wednesday car will be picked up. Thats why car isn't at dealer yet.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score

I was told don't touch it because if the oil is low and the sensors didn't work then they want to see it. If you put fresh oil in on top of used oil its gonna look funny.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
I guess the point I was trying to make is it seems that a lot of these engines are experiencing oil usage in an excessive amount, at least during the first 10,000 miles or so. If Ford is not actively notifying the customers of this issue at time of purchase there will be a lot of these engines seeing the junk yard early. Especially those sold to housewives and non enthusiasts. Most of the people on this forum are mechanically inclined enough to know that oil is supposed to be checked on a regular basis. But, with the majority of people in this world its just "Gas it and go, thats all they know."

The thing is the oil was between the 2 lines on the dipstick in May when I checked when adding washer fluid to her car. It was a small request she wanted before I left for a month, I have only been back for a week.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
the rings CAN'T be installed "upside down" -- the piston is inserted into a machine top first which is loaded by a stack of about 2-300 piston rings at a time that come in what looks like a roll of paper towel. If it matters which way the ring faces there would be sensors to detect it and the machine wouldn't run. ALL the rings are put at the same time, they're not individually put on by hand.

This is not 100% true...I am actually an automation programmer for a auto parts manufacture...we put the sensors in to detect and confirm that correct parts are being used and in the correct orientation, etc... but if some one moves a sensor (team leader or operator) because they think that is reason the machine isn't running...you got bad product. I have been part of a recall at a former employer because a vision system GOOD/NO GOOD inspection lamp was moved and allowing NG parts be installed on cars. We try to make the machines Idiot proof...but they upgrade the Idiots to 2.DUH faster then I can program. You won't believe the things I have to add and program to make sure someone is doing their job..lmao

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
the rings CAN'T be installed "upside down" -- the piston is inserted into a machine top first which is loaded by a stack of about 2-300 piston rings at a time that come in what looks like a roll of paper towel. If it matters which way the ring faces there would be sensors to detect it and the machine wouldn't run. ALL the rings are put at the same time, they're not individually put on by hand.

This is not 100% true...I am actually an automation programmer for a auto parts manufacture...we put the sensors in to detect and confirm that correct parts are being used and in the correct orientation, etc... but if some one moves a sensor (team leader or operator) because they think that is reason the machine isn't running...you got bad product. I have been part of a recall at a former employer because a vision system GOOD/NO GOOD inspection lamp was moved and allowing NG parts be installed on cars. We try to make the machines Idiot proof...but they upgrade the Idiots to 2.DUH faster then I can program. You won't believe the things I have to add and program to make sure someone is doing their job..lmao

I feel you, I work in a plant also and some operators do find ways to screw up things you would think are impossible. I'm a quality engineer so I have to sample and disposition the substandard product that was made.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
I feel you, I work in a plant also and some operators do find ways to screw up things you would think are impossible. I'm a quality engineer so I have to sample and disposition the substandard product that was made.

Yeah I'm a firm believer of the use of Guillotines instead of safety beams...because if you feel the need to stick your arm in or around a safety device...you deserve to loose your appendage

stangdavid

forum member
Reaction score
i have looked back through the thread to be sure, but you have not added 1 piece of usefull info at all. telling the op he needs to add oil and the say how hard is it to comprehend is stupid. 1st he has a friend who is trying to get him some advice on his car and he obviously knows what or where to start. 2nd you have to look at it from the op's point of view, he checked the oil and it wasn't touching the stick, from my experience as an ASE certified tech that usually means at least 2qts low.(i say this based on what i have seen, each manufactures dipstick mark may vary). if he adds the oil to see how low it is like you say , how will he prove it was low. also most dealers are looking for a way to void warranties anyway and with his car having several mods i bet the dealership will try to void it. i do understand that if you want to play you have to pay, but the parts he has added will not add to oil consumption like say a bad tune ''could'' hurt #8 piston. which i think is still a cop out on Fords part. all i'm saying is the owner of the car is already upset at his new car having a serious issue and doesn't need the extra headache.
i am curious as to all the people posting about the low oil levels do any of you have an oil separator and if so how often do you check it and are you sure that when oil changes are done that they are full. mine has right at 6400 miles, i didn't check it new but i did at about 1200 and it still showed full and when i changed it at 4500 it was still full. i check the oil separator a few time and by the time i changed the oil it had about 1oz. the guys at JLT did say that they noticed the harder you run the car the more it will catch. sorry so long guys. David

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score
Would it be too hard to return the car back to factory before bringing it in? I worked for a Ford dealership for many years, I'm certified in most all Ford gasonline, hybrid and diesel applications. There was a point in time where the dealerships were trying to void warranties heavily, but they ran into alot of issues with this such as a massive loss in customers and many legal issues. The bad economy hit dealerships very hard, and I would be shocked to see a dealership NOT warranty just about any vehicle that comes through the door. They need the business.

My personal opinion is DO NOT add oil, this will throw off the mechanics ability to properly diagnose the vehicle. If he looks and it is full of oil, then a lack of oil will be crossed off the list. Also this wouldn't be the first 5.0 failure I have seen, my friend's dealership has already replaced two of them.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Would it be too hard to return the car back to factory before bringing it in? I worked for a Ford dealership for many years, I'm certified in most all Ford gasonline, hybrid and diesel applications. There was a point in time where the dealerships were trying to void warranties heavily, but they ran into alot of issues with this such as a massive loss in customers and many legal issues. The bad economy hit dealerships very hard, and I would be shocked to see a dealership NOT warranty just about any vehicle that comes through the door. They need the business.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64529

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back