5.0 died and will not start

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
i have looked back through the thread to be sure, but you have not added 1 piece of usefull info at all. telling the op he needs to add oil and the say how hard is it to comprehend is stupid. 1st he has a friend who is trying to get him some advice on his car and he obviously knows what or where to start. 2nd you have to look at it from the op's point of view, he checked the oil and it wasn't touching the stick, from my experience as an ASE certified tech that usually means at least 2qts low.(i say this based on what i have seen, each manufactures dipstick mark may vary). if he adds the oil to see how low it is like you say , how will he prove it was low. also most dealers are looking for a way to void warranties anyway and with his car having several mods i bet the dealership will try to void it. i do understand that if you want to play you have to pay, but the parts he has added will not add to oil consumption like say a bad tune ''could'' hurt #8 piston. which i think is still a cop out on Fords part. all i'm saying is the owner of the car is already upset at his new car having a serious issue and doesn't need the extra headache.
i am curious as to all the people posting about the low oil levels do any of you have an oil separator and if so how often do you check it and are you sure that when oil changes are done that they are full. mine has right at 6400 miles, i didn't check it new but i did at about 1200 and it still showed full and when i changed it at 4500 it was still full. i check the oil separator a few time and by the time i changed the oil it had about 1oz. the guys at JLT did say that they noticed the harder you run the car the more it will catch. sorry so long guys. David

You are an ASE tech and you are asking how to check the oil level in your car? If the guy would have added oil to the car he would have known immediately how low the car was on oil and could have determined if it was low enough to have caused an oil related failure. If he was worried about adding the oil hurting his warranty claim he could have drained back out the amount he added. Pretty simple concept if you ask me. I'm betting the car isn't more than a couple quarts low. We will just have to wait and see if he reports back after hearing from his dealer. And what usefull info did you add to this thread??? None if you ask me. I was only trying to help the guy out. You need to go back to ASE school as it is obvious you were not paying attention when you were there.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Would it be too hard to return the car back to factory before bringing it in? I worked for a Ford dealership for many years, I'm certified in most all Ford gasonline, hybrid and diesel applications. There was a point in time where the dealerships were trying to void warranties heavily, but they ran into alot of issues with this such as a massive loss in customers and many legal issues. The bad economy hit dealerships very hard, and I would be shocked to see a dealership NOT warranty just about any vehicle that comes through the door. They need the business.

My personal opinion is DO NOT add oil, this will throw off the mechanics ability to properly diagnose the vehicle. If he looks and it is full of oil, then a lack of oil will be crossed off the list. Also this wouldn't be the first 5.0 failure I have seen, my friend's dealership has already replaced two of them.

Car died while driving through town, just stopped and filled it up with Shell 93, stopped and got movie tickets for later that night, on our way to eat (damn what a anniversary gift..lol) and it just died while moving...It acted like it ran out of gas is how it died..spittered and sputtered then just quit. We have had absolutely no issues with car until Thursday when she got the P349 code then cleared next morning. When you look at that code on the net most lead to Alt failure or Low voltage issue. It has me puzzled, my wife is bummed out about her car, its her "Baby". All I get from all the kids is..."Aww you broke Mom's car".

silverstang07

forum member
Reaction score

That TSB tells you absolutely nothing really. Ford has released TSBs similar to this in the past. The facts are that if they can not 100% prove that his modifications caused a failure, they have no leg to stand on. Even though Ford is a massive company with Lawyers that are much more powerful than any of us can afford, they would rather repair it under warranty than go through the hassles of court and/or the loss of a customer over a chump-change engine. I don't recall Ford EVER denying warranty due to a programmer, even during the big 6.0 diesel debates. I even had a truck which a kid was constantly blowing EGR coolers and head gaskets, kept installing a programmer every time and overboosting it. Ford, knowing he was doing this, warrantied the vehicle numerous times, and finally they made me disable the programming capabilites, but still warrantied the failures.

The point I am trying to make is that there is no hard evidence of his parts causing a failure. Sure, Ford can send a field engineer for inspection, and they can also send the PCM to FMC for inspection, but that is in rare, repeat failure instances, and the dealer usually needs a reason (such as a rude customer). Ford is aware of an engine issue with the 5.0, my bet is they will fix it.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Guys don't get upset with each other...your all entitled to your opinions.
I don't want anyone having hard feelings towards each other.

stangdavid

forum member
Reaction score
You are an ASE tech and you are asking how to check the oil level in your car? If the guy would have added oil to the car he would have known immediately how low the car was on oil and could have determined if it was low enough to have caused an oil related failure. If he was worried about adding the oil hurting his warranty claim he could have drained back out the amount he added. Pretty simple concept if you ask me. I'm betting the car isn't more than a couple quarts low. We will just have to wait and see if he reports back after hearing from his dealer. And what usefull info did you add to this thread??? None if you ask me. I was only trying to help the guy out. You need to go back to ASE school as it is obvious you were not paying attention when you were there.
maybe i didn't word it right but what i was asking was to the guys who are useing oil bad how often are they checking it to see how much it's using and who is using the separator. i persoanlly have not seen or heard about so many people having this issue except for some who run the car hard and often. anyway have a nice day

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
maybe i didn't word it right but what i was asking was to the guys who are useing oil bad how often are they checking it to see how much it's using and who is using the separator. i persoanlly have not seen or heard about so many people having this issue except for some who run the car hard and often. anyway have a nice day

My car has seen a lot of WOT since I drove it off the Dealers lot and it's used hardly any oil.

JerryC

Reaction score
I see it as there are basically two ways to have handled this.

1. Try to make it look stock and hope nobody looks close. With the money it costs for an engine, if it is the engine, they are going to look close. Esp after the TSB came out.

2. Leave it alone and beg for mercy and hope that the evidence gives the dealer a way to plead to Ford to have mercy on you. If you have a history and rapport with the dealer this is most likely the best course of action. You wouldnt be the first guy to be completely at fault and have Ford buy you a new engine regardless.

If the dealer thinks you are lying to them, they will try to prove that you lied to them, that's what I'd do... They aren't going to argue with basic "get it home" roadside repairs, but draining and filling oil just might put your under a lot of suspicion, were you hiding evidence of nitrous, using non-spec oil, did you sabotage the oil in hopes of getting engine?

Now that the dealer has it, my advice is to suck up to them and Ford in the biggest way you can.
"I love the car so much my wife and have told all of friends and family to buy Ford's."
"This is the best dealership I've ever been to, you guy treat me like gold"
"I always give you guys the best ratings on the surveys, you all are great!"

The chances of them comp'ng a motor are much higher for a guy that will be a repeat customer and appreciate the gesture.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
I think I'm with JerryC on this one. Either be the bully and demand satisfaction or play stupid and nice.

RTRBURN

RTRBURN MOTORSPORTS
Reaction score
Nope, they picked it up earlier, called this afternoon to let me know they are pulling it into a bay now. Said they will call us tomorrow.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm totally stumped on what could cause this other than massive internal engine damage (which I sincerely hope is not the problem).

Very curious to hear what the service department says.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
From what I've read on other forums if it's a low oil issue you will get a new engine. Tune or not.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
The facts are that if they can not 100% prove that his modifications caused a failure, they have no leg to stand on.

You may be wrong. I've been to 6 dealerships in town, and the surrounding cities, and they say the MM is good, but it isn't Ford's responsibility to prove the parts DID cause the failure, its on the customer to prove they DIDN'T cause the failure. Ford isnt wasting any money on this crap anymore.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back