5.0 died and will not start

five0three

forum member
Reaction score
lol and the rumor mill spins. if that would have happened, ford would have recalled those cars...

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
waiting for the answer from op, hope it is not the #8.

but just because it is getting mentioned in this thread also. this is the quote from long ago that got deleted.

Originally Posted by 19kobra99
Don't know it all!! If my car has a canned tune, the same you could have, and my car breaks and yours doesn't, what could be the explanation? My tuner has been in the game for a looong time and his "tune" didn't break the car. Something is wrong that the part failed. A little more background info. The 5.0 was a couple of months late to the party. The production was backed a couple of months.... Does anyone here know why??? I do. U.A.W. workers striked, after returning to work a small group of disgruntled workers sabotaged around 6,500 engines, what did they do you may ask. They installed ring up side down on cylinders 7 and 8. Now this may not be true, but it was leaked by a Ford employee. So maybe this can explain why some fail and some don't. All I'm saying is that something isn't right. Just because I have a street tune, Steeda CAI and mid pipe back exhaust making 402rwhp, my car shouldn't have had a problem.

beers

Yeah, that's the post. Also, all that strike & sabotage stuff was made up. Its not even possible do what they said.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
will save you the reading time.

Originally Posted by 19kobra99
Don't know it all!! If my car has a canned tune, the same you could have, and my car breaks and yours doesn't, what could be the explanation? My tuner has been in the game for a looong time and his "tune" didn't break the car. Something is wrong that the part failed. A little more background info. The 5.0 was a couple of months late to the party. The production was backed a couple of months.... Does anyone here know why??? I do. U.A.W. workers striked, after returning to work a small group of disgruntled workers sabotaged around 6,500 engines, what did they do you may ask. They installed ring up side down on cylinders 7 and 8. Now this may not be true, but it was leaked by a Ford employee. So maybe this can explain why some fail and some don't. All I'm saying is that something isn't right. Just because I have a street tune, Steeda CAI and mid pipe back exhaust making 402rwhp, my car shouldn't have had a problem.

beers

Nice find.

FWIW, I have personally disassembled an early production 2011 5.0 that melted 3 pistons and bent 4 rods because of a series of events that led to a failure (On the dyno- Procharger oil seal failed, contaminated MAF, car completely leaned out at 6500 rpm). And all the rings, what were left of them, were all installed correctly.

I think this myth of disgruntled employees and upside down piston rings is a bunch of BS and is a POOR attempt by a person or two to make Ford look bad for not covering their modified vehicle.

If there really were upside down rings, we'd see proof of it. Ford would be all over it. The fact is, the only failures we're seeing are from modified cars. That's it.

19cobra99, you've been caught in a lie, and you're spreading a LOT of false information. Don't be surprised to get a call from a Ford attorney telling to you STFU. Ford has invested a LOT of time and money in quality and quality control. They have a lot on the line, and they certainly won't be excited about you out here making all these false claims about the quality of their brand new engine.

Last edited:

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
^^^^ yea, there is another guy crying the same thing. He posted at another site before deleting older post and you tube vids. He was running 11.0's last fall, and hit 10's this spring. Returned it to stock and went to the dealer crying #8 , but Ford saw his videos

Last edited:

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
The thing is, that the aftermarket drives the enthusiasm behind these cars and has since they introduced the 5.0 Fox. It is very important to the customers, to be able to modify with aftermarket parts and the engine: a. gain a noticable amout of power b. survive some thrashing.
Now I bleed FORD BLUE but alot of folks are in it purely because of the power they make, the durability and the ease of modification.
I know some of you are Ford employees on this forum, and some are employees of aftermarket tuners. Both need to get to the bottom of this quickly. Cause I, for one will be sticking with my '05 at least until this is all resolved.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I wouldn't let a couple failures from bad tunes effect your new car purchase. Instead, look at the thousands of 5.0's out there running around problem free.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
The thing is, that the aftermarket drives the enthusiasm behind these cars and has since they introduced the 5.0 Fox. It is very important to the customers, to be able to modify with aftermarket parts and the engine: a. gain a noticable amout of power b. survive some thrashing.
Now I bleed FORD BLUE but alot of folks are in it purely because of the power they make, the durability and the ease of modification.
I know some of you are Ford employees on this forum, and some are employees of aftermarket tuners. Both need to get to the bottom of this quickly. Cause I, for one will be sticking with my '05 at least until this is all resolved.

Save you money on the LT's and Cams. Wait to see how this 5.0 situation nets out or you may end up regretting spending +$2k on your current 05.

I wouldn't let a couple failures from bad tunes effect your new car purchase. Instead, look at the thousands of 5.0's out there running around problem free.

Agreed. I just traded my 05 last week and I do not regret it. In 100% stock form my new 5.0 absolutely craps all over my modded 4.6. I just filled up the tank for the 2nd time and recorded 21.1mpg (hand calc) which was half city half highway including me going WOT from lights several times and hitting triple digits on the highway.

Last edited:

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
This is a problem that is as old as car's themselves. If you want to go 10's don't complain when it blows up. And be fair about it, if you went to Tire rack, bought new wheels and tires ,and they wore out quickly or broke when you hit a curb or pot hole. You would not even thing about going to the dealer looking for free repairs, like new axles or alignment. You would tell everyone the the tires suck and buy a different brand. If you want a Blower, and buy a Ford kit, and let Ford install it you get a warranty 12.000 mile or 12 mounts. If you think Ford charges to much money, why should Ford warranty a cheaper setup for you. And how can Ford regulate tuners to make sure the they know what they are doing. Anybody can buy software and tune your car.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Save you money on the LT's and Cams. Wait to see how this 5.0 situation nets out or you may end up regretting spending +$2k on your current 05.

Agreed. I just traded my 05 last week and I do not regret it. In 100% stock form my new 5.0 absolutely craps all over my modded 4.6. I just filled up the tank for the 2nd time and recorded 21.1mpg (hand calc) which was half city half highway including me going WOT from lights several times and hitting triple digits on the highway.

The problem is for me, just like the rest of yall, if I wanted a stock Mustang, I'd go by me a v6 set it in the garage and call it a day. Put some more money into the old '89 fox 5.0 and forget about it. But I can't leave well enough alone and hell somebody has to keep driving all these discarded 4.6s. It's a good chance that when I do buy the new 5.0 it will be set be side this '05, not in its place, so I will wait on the resolve then make my purchase. I hung with Ford thru some of the darkest days. They will get it right.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
The thing is, Ford doesn't seem to have to get anything right, as you say. Ford got it right the first time. Bad tunes do not mean that Ford has to re-engineer their PCM's or engines. It means that as the customer, you had best figure out how much risk your ass is willing to take and mod accordingly. Just because Ford is getting serious about haphazard bullshit mods on the cars they sell doesn't mean Ford has to prove that their engines and PCM's are inherently bad or of poor design.

Until I see something conclusively saying otherwise, I do believe I'm safe in assuming that the Ford engineer's are a tad bit smarter than the large majority of us forum rats.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Until I see something conclusively saying otherwise, I do believe I'm safe in assuming that the Ford engineer's are a tad bit smarter than the large majority of us forum rats.

Agreed. Other than the known clutch issues and some EPAS programming issues, I really don't think anything is wrong with the 2011's. Especially the BS about upside down piston rings.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I still have a feeling these #8 failures are the result of their owners running race tunes and cheaping out with 87 octane and thinking theyll be fine this one time....

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Agreed. Other than the known clutch issues and some EPAS programming issues, I really don't think anything is wrong with the 2011's. Especially the BS about upside down piston rings.

Yeah, I don't believe that shit about the rings either. Ford would much rather destroy 6500 engines than take the chance of letting even 100 hundred enter the system. The $$ involved in delaying a launch, destroying engines, rebuilding 6500 engines or what ever else you can imagine, is much less expensive that getting a massive hit to their reputation with some BS like, "Disgruntled employees sabotaging shit."

It's pretty ridiculous actually.

5.4 Shelby

Reaction score
I agree. In fact, when the '05 was being developed, Ford bragged about working with the aftermarket to have mods available as soon as the car was released.

I have been itching to buy a 5.0 as a daily driver. I will still keep my GT500 either way. But, I will have a hard time buying one after reading TSB 11-07-07. That kind of crap will kill the aftermarket if Ford starts to enforce that. It bothers me to know they even printed it. I hope they are just giving themselves documentation in case somebody obviously thrashes one, sets it back to stock and all they can prove is a battery reset implying a tune reset.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I just wish RTRBURN would come back in here and tell us what was wrong with his car. Surely he know's something by now. This thread has taken a shit with all the different opinions and speculation. My opinion on the #8 thing is it is tune related. You leave the spark knock table on the global setting and you don't have an issue. You move the spark knock tables to the individual cylinder setting and you could have a #8 failure. Just my opinion.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Ford is a business trying to earn a profit just like every other business. They're not interested in footing the bill for an $8000 repair job because of a failure they had no hand in. Yes, they're covering their ass. If any aftermarket tune, or engine mod can directly cause a failure like that, you bet your ass they're going to do everything they can to find out why it happened, and not cover it if they're not responsible for it.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Ford is a business trying to earn a profit just like every other business. They're not interested in footing the bill for an $8000 repair job because of a failure they had no hand in. Yes, they're covering their ass. If any aftermarket tune, or engine mod can directly cause a failure like that, you bet your ass they're going to do everything they can to find out why it happened, and not cover it if they're not responsible for it.

As long as they are actually researching the problem, and if it can be linked directly to that so called " bad tune" or other part that has been added then fine void the warranty. But not just because he had a tune or a set of aftermarket headers or whatever, void the warranty. I mean Ford knows we are modifying, so if you can't modify at all and keep the warranty lock the damn PCM until the warranty goes out and if the customer still wants to mod he have Ford unlock it knowing that the warranty is void at that point. just an idea. some would do it.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I just wish RTRBURN would come back in here and tell us what was wrong with his car. Surely he know's something by now. This thread has taken a shit with all the different opinions and speculation. My opinion on the #8 thing is it is tune related. You leave the spark knock table on the global setting and you don't have an issue. You move the spark knock tables to the individual cylinder setting and you could have a #8 failure. Just my opinion.

I'd agree with you if the FRPP tune didn't also blow a #8.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
As long as they are actually researching the problem, and if it can be linked directly to that so called " bad tune" or other part that has been added then fine void the warranty. But not just because he had a tune or a set of aftermarket headers or whatever, void the warranty. I mean Ford knows we are modifying, so if you can't modify at all and keep the warranty lock the damn PCM until the warranty goes out and if the customer still wants to mod he have Ford unlock it knowing that the warranty is void at that point. just an idea. some would do it.

They can lock the PCM all they want, there's always someone to figure out how to unlock it.

I personally know the guy who unlocked the PCM on Fords new 6.7L diesel. It was a pretty big deal for a local company here.

It's pretty simple, if there is an air/fuel related failure, and there are no codes for failed sensors, or failed OEM components, and there is/was an aftermarket tune on the car, that's all the information Ford needs.

Synister500

Reaction score
It is my understanding that not all tuners adjusted the knock settings, and some of those have still had issues.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back