5.0 died and will not start

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
They can lock the PCM all they want, there's always someone to figure out how to unlock it.

I personally know the guy who unlocked the PCM on Fords new 6.7L diesel. It was a pretty big deal for a local company here.

It's pretty simple, if there is an air/fuel related failure, and there are no codes for failed sensors, or failed OEM components, and there is/was an aftermarket tune on the car, that's all the information Ford needs.

True, but in the case of Ford locking the PCM, wouldn't just unlocking void the warranty?
Any way we're all just speculating till we hear back on the actual problem on this car/engine. And I believe that this thread started out about a possible engine out or at least low on oil, that may have nothing to do with an A/F related failure. In that case the tune would probably have nothing to do with it. At least that is my thinking.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
True, but in the case of Ford locking the PCM, wouldn't just unlocking void the warranty?
Any way we're all just speculating till we hear back on the actual problem on this car/engine. And I believe that this thread started out about a possible engine out or at least low on oil, that may have nothing to do with an A/F related failure. In that case the tune would probably have nothing to do with it. At least that is my thinking.

Yeah in that case, a tune shouldn't have anything to do with that particular problem.

5.0Trunk

Reaction score
Subscribed!

Sky Render, Where in Frederick are you located? I'm across from Giant's on New Design Rd..

ONE person's engine locking up does not constitute a "real problem."

My 5.0 takes 5,000 miles to burn through half a quart of oil.

zims-mustang

Reaction score
Im actually very anxious on how ford is gonna react to this, ive heard some good things they have done and bad stuff as well

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

DarkTrak

Small kine pimpin'
Reaction score
Nothing yet. I do know that still had not touched it Friday afternoon.

12755288465.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread and have a few concerns:

Concern# 1

Individual #1 says the oil and water was fine. Individual# 2 says there was NO OIL ON DIPSTICK. Well which is it?

Concern #2

Individual #2 says the oil hasn't been checked since May

Concern# 3

You have clearly posted the engine has been modified

Concern# 4

Did you really think this all the way through before posting your situation on a public forum for all to read? I guess you don't think that anyone from Ford every reads these forums.

I was there when it happened. I checked the oil and coolant, which is fine. No mixing of the two. It may be the alternator that's the culprit, but looks like it would have thrown the belt or squeled a lot more before it shut off...Also, with the alternator not charging, looks like the car would have kept running, until you turned the switch off...IDK. Good luck Ryan, and keep us posted.

I took the belt off...still no luck.
So I got looking on the net about same issue...
Found a guy who had to have his engine replaced at 3500 miles...found out his engine ran out of oil. Engine read like 70% Oil Life, No Low Oil Level Warning lamps. Ford replaced his.
So I went out and checked her car... NO OIL ON DIP STICK....I just checked oil back in May before I left for Japan cause she said she needed Windshield washer fluid. Oil level checked good, between the lines. There is no signs of burnt oil inside of exhaust tips. I have followed her many of times and never a puff of smoke either. I remember her oil level life said 30% the other day when the P349 code showed up. Never got a low oil level lamp or any indication of issue. I am BEYOND PISSED OFF!!!
Trying together my senses and calm myself before I have dealership to pick the car up. I know it's not their fault, they just get stuck in the middle. I'm just curious how the Ford Engineer is going to try and prove that a Tune, CAI and Exhaust was the cause of the failure. I don't know how in a months time it lose that much oil and why no warning of oil level.

A good friend was driving her car the other day and got a P0349 code. Cam Position Sensor. She says she smelled something hot pulled over. Got out looked at car didn't see anything. Got back into car car started ran fine and CEL was gone. Then last night while driving down the road car just died, and will not start or crank, it clicks once then nothing. Lights are bright, interior lights do dim when trying to start it. It is a 2011 5.0 manual trans with steeda CAI, kooks LTH, catted x pipe steeda exhaust, Brenspeed dyno tune. I'm in Indy for the weekend, she is back in KY, and Brenspeed is closed till Tuesday. I searched for the code here and all I found was alt problems on the 3V cars. Which honestly sounds like the same kind of problem here. Cars need fuel, spark, and air to start and run. Sounds to me there is no spark but it won't even turn over. By the way she did try jumping it after it died and still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BJ

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
Well if Ford missed it all before, you just packaged it up with a ribbon for them.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread and have a few concerns:

Concern# 1

Individual #1 says the oil and water was fine. Individual# 2 says there was NO OIL ON DIPSTICK. Well which is it?

Concern #2

Individual #2 says the oil hasn't been checked since May

Concern# 3

You have clearly posted the engine has been modified

Concern# 4

Did you really think this all the way through before posting your situation on a public forum for all to read? I guess you don't think that anyone from Ford every reads these forums.

doesn't seem to me like the OP is crying fowl on ford. He just wants to know what happened, he hasn't hidden anything from them. Seems like if its his fault he will own up to it, thats the impression I got.

Back