550 hp @ 22 psi wtf? On e85

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I use the two alt bolts on the block and the top two trans bolts put in from the valley side. I pull it out the top with the headers and motor mounts on. If you have a stock k member it is easier if you pull the motor mounts.

Last edited:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I use the two alt bolts on the block and the top two trans bolts put in from the valley side. I pull it out the top with the headers and motor mounts on. If you have a stock k member it is easier if you pull the motor mounts.

^^Exact same method I do it, also using the HF load leveler on these four locations.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
may just try selling the short block and buying a new 5.0 stroker assembly for my old alum block i have
doBI9Tw.jpg

Last edited:

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I read the 1st page and skipped the rest so if I say something a bit off than oops.

Your first problem is the hardest one to fix. Its your CR. using below 9 compression comes from the old days when we did not have computer controls, did have iron block and heads, and did not have high quality fuel.

you have computer controls, aluminum block and heads that transfer more heat than iron, and you are using e85 which actually favors higher compression.

Also sub 9 compression numbers come from when full race heads flowed what street heads do today. The harder it is to get exhaust out of the piston the harder it is to get heat out of the cylinder.

Also once you get to the upper end of the spectrum on any air mover you start pumping more heat and wasting energy on cavitation.

P.S. you're not alone. When these motors first came out in mustangs there were a lot of people who's first move was to pull the whole motor apart and put in low compression pistons for boost. Then they all couldn't figure out what the deal was on why they could not make the power they were expecting.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
may just try selling the short block and buying a new 5.0 stroker assembly for my old alum block i have

Who's going to buy a 8.8:1 shortblock? You have the motor out. Get some 10:1 pistons, have the it balanced and put it back together.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah good point. Mise well keep it simple. Hoping MMR decides to do the right thing and replace the pistons for free. They are closed until Jan 1st

46addict

Reaction score
Yeah good point. Mise well keep it simple. Hoping MMR decides to do the right thing and replace the pistons for free. They are closed until Jan 1st

I would not be counting on that. This is what is likely to happen:
MMR will say you should have asked for a remedy before the engine went together. They will do zip for you.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
I would not be counting on that. This is what is likely to happen:

well they would have a point. should have verified. being that it was my first time I didn't even think to. oh well heres to trying.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad I subscribed. I have never built a shortblock however if I received pistons I would just be like "oh cool my pistons are here, let me just put these in the motor"

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad I subscribed. I have never built a shortblock however if I received pistons I would just be like "oh cool my pistons are here, let me just put these in the motor"

lol right. i mean plus I had someone building the engine for me - never even thought to double check!

1700 dollar lesson fucking learned gentlemen

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Well, my list of possible changes so far are:

1. fix the compression
2. cam springs and possibly cams
3. go to a different dyno lmao

other than that, if anyone has any other ideas do throw em at me.
Lito mentioned I would see a big boost drop at high RPM if the valve springs wern't holding the high boost. I never noticed that happening.

i mean there are only so many places to look when the engine is running fine. meh will get it all figured out sometime next year ;p

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Well, your burnt out and it's time to put a win in the column you don't want to continue this direction. IMO and I know I already mentioned it before but get yourself to a good local engine machine shop. Sure you can now say well I'm in it this far might as well put the engine together myself, Don't, save it for another time. Let the machine shop look this over and decide what you need and what you don't. Have them build you a nice shortblock out of those parts your have and get to business. If your current MMR disaster is iron then take the aluminum block if it's good with and have them build off that over the iron.

Sell off all the other parts to make up some of the difference,

If you ever think you want to buy something from MMR or if your going to quit and buy one of those fancy new cars, let us know first so we have a chance to talk you back down from quiting.:beerchug2:

Many of us have been where your at, it sucks but don't give in yet, the reward is just going to be bigger.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Can you not just sell the TVS, throw on a turbo, and run all the boost?
That's what I would do with 8.8 CR, but I wouldn't have wanted to take it back apart to swap the pistons.

Nothing a big single or pair of twins can't make up for IMO. S&H twin kit has put out some great results on the 3v.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Can you not just sell the TVS, throw on a turbo, and run all the boost?
That's what I would do with 8.8 CR, but I wouldn't have wanted to take it back apart to swap the pistons.

Nothing a big single or pair of twins can't make up for IMO. S&H twin kit has put out some great results on the 3v.

He's already running "all the boost". He doesn't have a boost problem.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just skimmed through the thread, but wow so much ignorance on compression and performance, left and right just being regurgitated. OP I really sorry if the peanut gallery in this thread led you to believe increasing static compression is your miracle solution.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Just skimmed through the thread, but wow so much ignorance on compression and performance, left and right just being regurgitated. OP I really sorry if the peanut gallery in this thread led you to believe increasing static compression is your miracle solution.

Yeah, the CR certainly isn't helping. But I agree with you. The majority of the problem is going to be solved elsewhere. My bet at this point is cams/cam timing/valve springs.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back