5r55s to TR3650 swap

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
how much is this entire swap setting you back?

I have everything I need already and I spent $1250.00 total. Thats including a new tune from VMP. Thats buying a lot of brand new parts, only things that were used was the transmission and shifter. Definitely pretty inexpensive IMO.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FYI the best way I've found to do the two top bellhousing bolts is to remove the battery and tray. Get both of them from the passenger side. It was the only way I could get to the drivers side bolt when I had a Whipple on.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
FYI the best way I've found to do the two top bellhousing bolts is to remove the battery and tray. Get both of them from the passenger side. It was the only way I could get to the drivers side bolt when I had a Whipple on.

Never thought of doing it that way, I may try that when I reinstall the new transmission.. The way we did it on removal was a 2 man job, no way around that. lol

RideThePony14

Reaction score
I have everything I need already and I spent $1250.00 total. Thats including a new tune from VMP. Thats buying a lot of brand new parts, only things that were used was the transmission and shifter. Definitely pretty inexpensive IMO.

thats not bad at all. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score

Thats the same way I did mine, it makes it much easier.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
thats not bad at all. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Definitely a great price for whatcha get.. I'll have pictures and a start up video with any issues that may arise, hoping there are non though. I am anxious as hell to drive it.

Thats the same way I did mine, it makes it much easier.

I'm going to try that when I reinstall the new trans.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Drained the fluid from the 3650 and replaced it with fresh before I install it. I Installed the pilot bearing/flywheel/clutch/pressure plate and went to put the new transmission in but I am having clearance issues. Trying to line the motor up with the trans is a pain in the ass. My long tube headers are stopping my motor from tilting enough to where I can slide the transmissions input shaft past the pressure plate fingers. The side of the trans where the throwout line comes out of (driver side) is so close it is pressing up against the body of the car.. I got pissed off yesterday and decided to stop. Hoping for next saturday to start working on it again but with the help of a few stangforce members.

Torque specs for the flywheel ford says anywhere from 59-64ft lbs, and the pressure plate they say 33ft lbs if anyone ever needs to know.
Here is a not so great shot of why I am caught up. Didn't want to have to remove the long tube header =/..

I hate having no time to really work on this and get it done quicker.

Last edited:

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the calvary coming. Dont sweat it, it will get done. Just make sure to wipe your chin when they're finished.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
doing all this on jackstands and blocks must be a real bitch lol

Yah it isn't the best conditions but it's def not the worst. If I didn't have these mini problems it would have been done ages ago and would have been such an easy swap. There's honestly not that much to it. If all goes as it should..

Sounds like you got the calvary coming. Dont sweat it, it will get done. Just make sure to wipe your chin when they're finished.

Yeah they are coming Saturday the 15th, at least Paul n Bruce are so far. Can't wait to get this done! Lol bitch, Bruce thought it was funny when he said food, beer and blowjobs. I said no and then he proceeds to ask about my fiancé hahah..typical Bruce.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
By jacking up the front of the motor just a slight bit and sticking a good inch or so of wood under the front of the tranny on the jack I got enough angle to get the transmission to mate with the motor. There was a little over double the amount of wood in this picture.

Got around to tightening the bell housing bolts, installed my starter, the exhaust shields, O2s, full exhaust, and driveshaft. Car is 99% done.

Had a little trouble sliding the trans completely flush onto the motor so instead of struggling with it, I threaded all the bolts in and gradually tightened each one little by little so it went on straight.

Went to install the last piece to the puzzle (hydraulic clutch line) and the piece that is circled in the picture below IS NOT something I have.. So I had to stop for tonight and didn't get the car running. I have to go to ford tomorrow after work and see if they can sell just that piece or if that is part of the clutch line i'll just buy a new one.

6R3Z-7A512-C (Original part number) but was replaced with BR3Z-7A512-A.. <== I have this and it's brand new but it didn't come with the piece I need. Time will tell! So close!

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
I called Ford yesterday on my drive home from the hospital and had them order it for me. Grabbed it today after the hospital and installed it. Took about 10-15 mins to figure out the best way to route it and then once connected I bled it and its got great pedal pressure.

Shitty part of this all is I go to load my tune from VMP Tuning onto my Xcal2 and he sent me a .cef file and not a .ll3 file and I don't know how to load it, if at all possible. That is the only thing holding me back from driving her for the first time as a manual right now =/..

Bleeding it, took no more than 5-10 mins..

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Rob, on the tune you may just be trying to upload it incorrectly. When you open the SCT software on your computer, there are four menu options. You want to 'transfer file to device'. They have another option that sounds like what you want to do (Load custom tune file) but that's not the right button.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Rob, on the tune you may just be trying to upload it incorrectly. When you open the SCT software on your computer, there are four menu options. You want to 'transfer file to device'. They have another option that sounds like what you want to do (Load custom tune file) but that's not the right button.

Call me real quick

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Update, between VMP and SCT I was pointed in the right direction on what to do. I guess since I haven't had my car tuned in 3-4+ years I am a bit behind on software updates..

Anyhow, initial fire up- started up great. No CELs or codes, took her around the block. Felt pretty good, but unfortunately something was not plugged in as my speedo does not work.. Have to figure that out next.. Since I destroyed the clamps b/c they were welded, I had to buy replacements and it has a massive exhaust leak =/..

Parked it, looked at the car b/c I smelt a slight burning (not clutch) just like if you were to install a new exhaust and its burning off the coating.. Sounds really odd when driving it b/c of the leak. I think the car is fine though, it shifts smooth as can be. I think the tune needs some adjustments. Second fire up, started driving around my neighborhood and I get a CEL for P2195. Almost like the car lost power and it almost stalled out on me. Took it home and parked it. Going to fix the speedo issue and the exhaust leak tomorrow hopefully and see about the tune.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Had to move it out of the garage and I figured I'd take a picture..

Here's another shot

I know this is a bit obsessive but I think it was cool..My own car as my background lol. Yes I was made fun of for this..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back