86's VMP 1.9/Forged Build

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
here's how you have to do this - as seen the nut floats above the surface.

cLTHRzf.jpg

v8glQmO.jpg

YmLZrPl.jpg

VacVTl0.jpg

ecwnGay.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Hehe that's a red herring. My 1996 ranger 3.0 has an engine knock. I may be building a cheap turbo 2.3 for it. Need a dual plug engine. Swap in forged pistons. I already have the manifold, will machine spacers to flip it forwards, make a divorced wastegate adapter, grab eBay turbo and intercooler. It's too bad there are no wc T5's left in this country. I have the mid shift tailhousing. Brown top injectors are only $25 ea on rock auto. With a big shot of methanol, I'd hope to see 350 hp.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Hehe that's a red herring. My 1996 ranger 3.0 has an engine knock. I may be building a cheap turbo 2.3 for it. Need a dual plug engine. Swap in forged pistons. I already have the manifold, will machine spacers to flip it forwards, make a divorced wastegate adapter, grab eBay turbo and intercooler. It's too bad there are no wc T5's left in this country. I have the mid shift tailhousing. Brown top injectors are only $25 ea on rock auto. With a big shot of methanol, I'd hope to see 350 hp.
If you are close to me I have a 89 Ranger with a 5 speed and 2.3 you can haul off for me.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I can't really use anything from that truck, need the dual plug heads so I can get a useful CR. The trans is too weak.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, though! I'm in Saskatchewan. Where abouts is the truck? Also I just found out 89 may be dual plug. I thought that started in 1991. Ah, you're in Texas. I guess not as far as .. Panama.. haha

@RocketcarX

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
vaseline for assembling transmissions, lubing PCV system O rings.
jCB01Mx.jpg

Dismantling the harness for EPAS stuff. How to get the pins out of the multipin plug: look at female end, pull up on beige cap. Remove completely. Go on to oppose side of plug, gak and demolish the little black cap that is holding the wires into the connector. Pull the weather seal you find underneath towards the harness. Looking back at the face of the plug you can push the plastic retaining clip(s) towards the center of the plug, allowing the terminals to get out the bottom. Then push them through the seal, and the seal cap. The orientation of the clip matters getting the terminal through the plastic pieces.
yvYmYmd.jpg

Some pretty nice stuff. I'm probably going to get an insulated hot terminal, run the short lead from the battery to it, tie the EPAS hot into that, then use the longer lead on the right to get power to a corvette fan controller for my electric fan.
ifBAo7b.jpg

Managed to produce a guyser of brake fluid pulling the master off. Going to an auto trans master and divorced reservoir for the clutch fluid. Pontiac GTO part.
GvlFEHn.jpg

Here's how you don't curse and go nuts installing the steeda engine mounts. If you don't do this you can knock the bottom down into the K frame, repeatedly.
8Dw4QFB.jpg

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, though! I'm in Saskatchewan. Where abouts is the truck? Also I just found out 89 may be dual plug. I thought that started in 1991. Ah, you're in Texas. I guess not as far as .. Panama.. haha

@RocketcarX
Lol, yeah the 8 plugs is why I mentioned it. I can pull the head and ship it if you want to mess with it, I don't mind.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Why do you need a fan controller, aren't you staying with a 3v, wouldn't there factory PCM control the fan?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
eliminate the resistance module, eliminate the factory relay bank melting down. You get a soft start, I am going to have the same computer that is fooling my TPMS run the corvette controller. It requires a PWM input. When the ECU sends the signal to my computer for high or low fan, my controller will soft start the car's fan (probably a 2013 GT500 unit.) I can then keep track of how much the fan is running to make sure I don't go over its rated cycle. I can also have a switch on the console that lets me manually turn it on full blast when I want to cool down the IC/car.

The corvette controller is just a high frequency solid state relay, or something like it.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Stock gear, 6' onto concrete one time. Hardly representative of typical running conditions...

broken gear.jpg

dob gears.jpg
Hopefully not all pomp and circumstance.
dob letter.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
gt500 vs GT clutch master. GT on left. .040 difference in OD. I was wrong at one point, the 500 unit is actually some kind of ... metalish material. I think. Alumichinesium.

IMG_20180528_194855.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
back again... need a lokar dipstick. And some O2 extensions.

IMG_20180603_114000.jpg IMG_20180603_120227.jpg IMG_20180603_122931.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
holy cow may as well be a mile of interference between my ebay bbk knockoff headers and the steering shaft. I'll post some photos, I don't think it's fixable, nor do I really want to screw around with it, installing and removing the headers over and over again and smashing dents into the primaries.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
holy cow may as well be a mile of interference between my ebay bbk knockoff headers and the steering shaft. I'll post some photos, I don't think it's fixable, nor do I really want to screw around with it, installing and removing the headers over and over again and smashing dents into the primaries.
The Pacesetter headers are cheap and have 1 3/4 primaries with a nice 3inch collector exit. They may not last in your area without additional coating though...

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I bought the pacesetters pre coated and from what I can tell it seems to be good stuff, has held up well in Canada (cars a toy though)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back