86's VMP 1.9/Forged Build

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I might be doing a different powertrain shortly, anyway, have a few deals on the line, you live you learn.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I might be doing a different powertrain shortly, anyway, have a few deals on the line, you live you learn.
Finally gonna build a 351, huh? Good on you, I knew you were just kidding about that truck motor LS garbage.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get featured in hrm/etc once I get the LS done.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
So how much clearance do you have between the steering shaft..and the offending primary ?? Did you lower the eng via the eng mounts ?

My JBA titanium ceramic coated LT's have held up very well. Car is used all year round, but they don't sand /salt the roads in winter. They spray this other liquid goop on the road these days, when it's down to 0 deg C. ( 1 5/8" primaries....and 2.5" collector, no heat wrap used anywhere ). Steeda eng mounts were used..and eng lowered 1/4"....still plenty of clearance ( just) between primary + steering shaft. No way can I drop it down another 1/4".

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I bought the pacesetters pre coated and from what I can tell it seems to be good stuff, has held up well in Canada (cars a toy though)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, might get these from tdot, not cheap but what can you do. Or I modify these ones I have... what a pain in the ass.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
So how much clearance do you have between the steering shaft..and the offending primary ?? Did you lower the eng via the eng mounts ?

My JBA titanium ceramic coated LT's have held up very well. Car is used all year round, but they don't sand /salt the roads in winter. They spray this other liquid goop on the road these days, when it's down to 0 deg C. ( 1 5/8" primaries....and 2.5" collector, no heat wrap used anywhere ). Steeda eng mounts were used..and eng lowered 1/4"....still plenty of clearance ( just) between primary + steering shaft. No way can I drop it down another 1/4".

Engine is in stock location, steeda mounts, This morning I decided I'll unwind the wrap (count and mark my loops so it's not so hard rewrapping, - that's the entire battle,) and mark out where the shaft hits, heat and bash, rewrap. I was pretty frustrated last night since to my eye that shaft looks like it's going right through the center of the primary. So, like 7/8" of interference lol... we will see what they look like after modification.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, might get these from tdot, not cheap but what can you do. Or I modify these ones I have... what a pain in the ass.
Have you ordered from them before?
I ordered mine from Amazon (US) and they were cheaper then everyone from what I remember.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Engine is in stock location, steeda mounts, This morning I decided I'll unwind the wrap (count and mark my loops so it's not so hard rewrapping, - that's the entire battle,) and mark out where the shaft hits, heat and bash, rewrap. I was pretty frustrated last night since to my eye that shaft looks like it's going right through the center of the primary. So, like 7/8" of interference lol... we will see what they look like after modification.

That's nuts. And they claimed it was a 'drop in' ??

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
No notes anywhere just good reviews on the ebay store. I knew it was a risk.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Have you ordered from them before?
I ordered mine from Amazon (US) and they were cheaper then everyone from what I remember.

Yeah, a few times. $$$, but free shipping. Convenience factor.

pace setter.png

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
304 stainless steel..then ceramic coat inside and out.

316 stainless steel is marine grade, supposed to be the ultimate in corrosion resistance..... but I have never seen it before. You can get stuff like SS hose clamps etc, in 316 SS. Dunno what else is available in 316.

There is no excuse for the junk in the above pix. 'Warranty' is a joke.

Having the steering shaft go right through, dead center on a primary is fubar. It was never engineered, it was ill conceived.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
well, it was a copy... probably of a copy. Things are bound to get fuzzy.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Back at home after my vacation, time to excise that header. I'm still going through the motions in my mind regarding this vs. just getting my stock manifolds brought back into town and ordering a pypes offroad H.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Two months later, tying up the last of the loose ends. I went with a pypes offroad midpipe, painted my headers. Found the only place this provent will fit.

IMG_20180819_190254.jpg

IMG_20180819_225401.jpg

IMG_20180820_164904.jpg

IMG_20180821_175355.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
HAHAHA that's what mine looks like right now. I have the alum rad so it's causing a few problems getting it in with the ac. I wasn't planning on starting it this afternoon but got board so I started and it's like 85 and 85% humid

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
woke up @ 5:30, swapped off the FR500's for my stock bullitt mufflers (man, what a difference.. unreal what mufflers can do.)

Drove her to work. There was a high pitched whine coming from the engine last night, I scoped the acc. drive, cannot imagine what it could be.

IMG_20180914_075531.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
EPAS is working. Split KO power that was going to the intercooler pump relay on my roush harness, sent it to the rack. Squinted hard and cut the can lines to the ECM. Made some nice solder joints. Kind of neat feeling it power up!

I think I'm leaving the car together for the fall/winter, going to break it down early next spring, pressure test the manifold, check it for straightness, figure this vac leak thing out. I may smoke test it before I take it apart. Hopefully do some WOT tuning on Tuesday - weather is just brutal. 45 degrees and rain today and tomorrow.

IMG_20180916_174213.jpg IMG_20180916_190444.jpg IMG_20180916_194644.jpg IMG_20180916_195836.jpg
IMG_20180916_204451.jpg

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
44 F here, as of 5 mins ago.... in Victoria. Talk about a flip flop in wx. 81F.... 8 days ago. Now the small roll around AC unit has been put away for the season. 3 weeks ago we were literally choking on smoke from the 600 fires, 300 miles NE of me. U could see smoke in headlights of cars coming up the street. My eyes would sting after just 10 secs out on the deck..... got back inside asap.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back