Airbag recall

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, have any of you guys tried just taking your airbag into the dealership to see if they would repair/replace it?

My car's sitting in the garage now, I was thinking about swapping out the steering wheel anyway as my leather rim is chewed up, and if I could drop off the airbag at the dealer for them to do their thing without bringing the car that would sure be easier...or do they have to have the car to record the VIN and such?

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
They need the car. Customers are not allowed to perform safety recalls or any recalls or TSBs whatsoever. And they replace the airbag, not repair it.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
They need the car. Customers are not allowed to perform safety recalls or any recalls or TSBs whatsoever. And they replace the airbag, not repair it.
Correct. I work at a dealership. Vehicle must be present and a certified Ford tech must perform the replacement.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn. My local Ford dealership has a really steep breakover angle into their garage and last time I had it in there (for an inspection I think) they had to drive it on boards to get it into the garage...for that reason I really don't want to take it back there.

ox white

forum member
Reaction score
Just for reference, I used to be a Ford tech. That's how I know. That's also how I know said recall will be done by a lower level tech, who will likely use a metal screwdriver to remove the bolt covers that secure the airbag assembly, thus leaving tool marks on those covers. If I ever have this recall done, I'll remove them myself.

Anyway, ghunt81, let them use the boards again if it doesn't harm your car.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
If you're on good terms with the service department you can certainly ask them to do the recall outside, it only takes a few minutes, many techs never bring the car inside for this recall anyway.

And yes, it's a safety recall, the dealership puts a claim in to Ford saying they did it, there's no labor operation code on the recall for "the customer did it", lol

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn. My local Ford dealership has a really steep breakover angle into their garage and last time I had it in there (for an inspection I think) they had to drive it on boards to get it into the garage...for that reason I really don't want to take it back there.
They did mine in the street. I asked to drive the car to a bay and they said we’ll do it outside.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When they pull the passenger side air bag will I lose the existing dash panel?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
When they pull the passenger side air bag will I lose the existing dash panel?

No, the airbag bolts to the cover.
For the driver's airbag they replace just the inflator which bolts to the back of the airbag (unless the car is a '13-'14 which gets a whole new airbag).
I'm assuming the passenger side airbag just gets a new inflator as well.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, the airbag bolts to the cover.
For the driver's airbag they replace just the inflator which bolts to the back of the airbag (unless the car is a '13-'14 which gets a whole new airbag).
I'm assuming the passenger side airbag just gets a new inflator as well.
Thanks Gabe.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Here is bad bit of info on the recall.
I took mine in years ago and kept getting the notice after I supposedly had it done. Come to find out what they did the first time re-program the air bags to not deploy unless there was a harder crash. The second time in December 2017 I took it in again they actually replaced the Driver Bag. But they cant replace the passenger because they are not available and may never be available because the manufacturer is belly up.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Here is bad bit of info on the recall.
I took mine in years ago and kept getting the notice after I supposedly had it done. Come to find out what they did the first time re-program the air bags to not deploy unless there was a harder crash. The second time in December 2017 I took it in again they actually replaced the Driver Bag. But they cant replace the passenger because they are not available and may never be available because the manufacturer is belly up.[/QUOTE

Initially the Drivers Air Bag was a 14B09 Recall. That was a Temp replacement. It is now a 15S21 which is the permanent Fix. Passenger is still not available unfortunately. The company )Takata) is in Bankruptcy but ill never go out of business because it is a monopolized industry for them. Will take time but eventually it will get done.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC Ford supposedly has a new airbag manufacturer supplying the remedy parts for the driver and passenger side inflators. However, it has not yet been announced as to who the new manufacturer is. Hopefully, Ford will reveal the info this upcoming spring :shrug:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Remember that Ford is not the only manufacturer bit by this Takata issue. There are many others dealing with it as well.

ixtlan

Reaction score
I find it a bit disturbing that such a serious and proven issue exists in the industry as a whole.
And that it has taken so long to correct.
Not a Ford only issue for sure.
I Bleed Blue, and always will!!

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I heard that owners of Rangers a little older than mine (apparently 2004-2006?) are being asked to not even drive their trucks, because there were two fatalities caused by the airbags in them last year, one in my state. I got the recall on mine but I don't know if that particular bit affects mine or not. When I talked to the dealer last summer they had no idea when they would actually be able to perform the recall, also.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't even called the dealer yet to make appointment.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Every safety recall, the manufacturer warns against driving the vehicle.

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't even called the dealer yet to make appointment.

If you’re referring to the passenger side — don’t bother. They won’t make an appointment till they have the parts. You should receive another notice when the parts are available.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Every safety recall, the manufacturer warns against driving the vehicle.

Gabe, prior to the most recent recall letter from Ford, I don't recall any previous warnings against driving the vehicle when it concerned the driver's side inflator recall :shrug:

If you’re referring to the passenger side — don’t bother. They won’t make an appointment till they have the parts. You should receive another notice when the parts are available.

According to the latest recall letter, Ford is expecting the remedy parts to become available this upcoming spring :shrug:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back