Amping Speakers w/ Shaker 500

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is the correct section to post in, if not, I appologize in advance.

Im going to be upgrading my sound system in the near future and I just had a quick question about the factory amps. I plan on getting a new set of front speakers and a subwoofer. I was going to keep my stock sync head unit and leave the rear speakers stock, plugged into the factory amplifier (are the rear speakers even amped?). Somebody was telling me, depending on how the speakers are wired to the amp, it can potentially be an issue to unplug the front speakers from the amp and leave the rears plugged in. Something about potentially back feeding to the head unit and frying it. Does anyone know if this is true? Ive wired up many a sound system but never while utilizing stock head unit and amplifier.

Thanks in advance for any help.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We have a 'Tunes' section. Moved.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
The rear speakers are not amped in the systems in these cars. You can just grab the signal at the rear speakers if you just want to run a amp to subs. The only thing amplified is the door subs.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the rears are run off the head unit. I put a sub in my vert and itslike building a home theater and putting the sub in the next room. not very impressed. If I did it over I would have just upgraded the head unit, door 6x8 and been done.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
The 2 10s I had in the trunk before sounded pretty decent but were kinda under powered only pushing 200 watts RMS. That setup was kinda ghetto though as they were technically subs from my living room (lol), so I ditched it and got the MTX thunderform 1-12" that fits in the corner of the trunk. Its a nice clean setup and its pretty damn loud for what it is, but it just doesn't seem to hit the right frequencies for rock/metal in my opinion, so Im going for another 2-10" setup w JL 10w3s. Hopefully this setup meets my expectations.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
The 2 10s I had in the trunk before sounded pretty decent but were kinda under powered only pushing 200 watts RMS. That setup was kinda ghetto though as they were technically subs from my living room (lol), so I ditched it and got the MTX thunderform 1-12" that fits in the corner of the trunk. Its a nice clean setup and its pretty damn loud for what it is, but it just doesn't seem to hit the right frequencies for rock/metal in my opinion, so Im going for another 2-10" setup w JL 10w3s. Hopefully this setup meets my expectations.

Got any pictures of the MTX thunderform?
Haven't seen one in a 2010 yet.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
I just tried to take a picture but the lighting in my garage sucks ass so you can't really see it that well. It fits ok, its not perfect but it works and its out of the way.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I just tried to take a picture but the lighting in my garage sucks ass so you can't really see it that well. It fits ok, its not perfect but it works and its out of the way.

So it was able to be securely bolted in. I have only seen them in 2005-2009's.
Been thinking of getting one.
What is not perfect about it?

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Yes it can be bolted down perfectly. Some of the curves don't form fit to the inside of the body perfectly, but other then that it works fine

TOWGUNNER

forum member
Reaction score
yeah i was looking at one of those also if you get a chance to take some pics post them up.

still_life127

forum member
Reaction score
Ok i'll take some pics. Since I'm going to be getting the JL audio subs, I Will be selling this MTX system soon if you guys are interested.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back