2005 Mustang GT. Here goes. I decided to install a set of BBK shorty
headers and when I accelerate I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak
coming from the passenger side of my engine? However, I've installed
three different types of Header gaskets and I still hear the same sound
under acceleration? There is No sound when at idle. I've also installed
all new bolts and they are all still tight as well as all the connections of
the exhaust system. Could someone Please tell what this sound could
possible be other then an exhaust leak? This has me every perplexed
and is driving me crazy. I would definitely appreciate any help.
Cheers!

ShelbySteve

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting an issue that I'm having with my
2005 Mustang GT. Here goes. I decided to install a set of BBK shorty
headers and when I accelerate I hear what sounds like an exhaust leak
coming from the passenger side of my engine? However, I've installed
three different types of Header gaskets and I still hear the same sound
under acceleration? There is No sound when at idle. I've also installed
all new bolts and they are all still tight as well as all the connections of
the exhaust system. Could someone Please tell what this sound could
possible be other then an exhaust leak? This has me every perplexed
and is driving me crazy. I would definitely appreciate any help.
Cheers!
Coming from being a long time Camaro owner to owning a s197 I’ve also heard the same noise and thought it was an exhaust leak. My car has 21k miles and I just had to have both MAC cats replaced due to being busted up and rattling on the inside. With that being said I though I had an exhaust leak and the guy that replaced the cats said it was just “header noise”.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
OP; Going to be a hard diagnosis fm keyboard...get car to auto shop and/or exhaust shop & have them take a listen.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Thin walled headers transfer more noise from the heads than a cast manifold.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
i have BBK shorty headers as well. What gaskets did you use? The gaskets that come with the BBK headers suck. Go with the multi layered steel (MLS) type gaskets from Ford or another manufacturer.

Fotoman

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply rocky61201,
Yes, I tried the gaskets that came with the headers, and then a multi layered gasket and
now I installed a pair of aluminum Sealed-For-Good gaskets and I have the same
noise when I accelerate?

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles. Maybe you could post of video so some us can diagnose the sound. Only other thing I can think of is interference with the steering shaft. I know the fitment can be close and I remember having to install an extra BMR supplied spacer with their BMR motor mounts to raise the engine a bit. A video might help us help you.

Laga

Reaction score
Have you checked the connection between header and H/X pipe? That might move and leak under acceleration.

xeninworx

Reaction score
Are the header flanges flat? Sometimes they aren’t completely flat and they’ll have a slight curve in the middle.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It does seem like a lot of aftermarket header and mid pipe combos make a noise that sounds like a very small exhaust leak in these cars. In these cases, it is usually more pronounced at part throttle, or light acceleration.
My car makes a light "ticking" sound at light acceleration bit is gone by 1/2 throttle.

Fotoman

Reaction score
Thank you for all of your relays. I really appreciate it.
I decided to give replacing the flange studs that can
with the BBK headers with a set of Dorman # 03129
studs. I noticed that the BBK studs have about an 1" space
with no threads? And the Dorman studs are completely threaded
and may let be tighten the bolts more to hopefully stop the exhaust leak.
When I replace the mid pipe I'll let you know if my idea worked.
Thank You!

Fotoman

Reaction score
Hello,
I thought I'd post an update to my ongoing header exhaust leak dilemma. Unfortunately, my Stang sat in the garage for about a year. However, after my first drive I unfortunately, have the same issue as when
I started. After 3 different types of header gaskets, All New Bolts with lock tight Nothing has changed WTF?
So, I decided to do a smoke test on my exhaust and all the smoke is coming out between the header flange and head. All the bolts are still tight and definitely Not one is even close to being loose. Kinda funny I installed Headers on my 70 351C 15 years ago and have never had any exhaust leaks. Does anybody have any idea what the hell the issue is and how to solve it? At this point, I think I'll just put the POS stock exhaust manifolds back on. By the way, the Header gaskets that are currently installed are supposed
to be Sealed For Good/Leak-Free Seal aluminum gaskets, or that's what the manufacture claims anyway.
Any ideas will Greatly be appreciated.

Fairlane514

Reaction score
Remove the header and check for flatness across the flange(s). If you have a large enough gap, no gasket will stop the leak. You can then take them to a machine shop and have them planed flat.

AHaze

Reaction score
Put the stock manifolds back on or pony up for some long tubes. The shortys might be worth 5 HP at best and are probably costing you power with the leak. Not worth the hassle.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Hello,
I thought I'd post an update to my ongoing header exhaust leak dilemma. Unfortunately, my Stang sat in the garage for about a year. However, after my first drive I unfortunately, have the same issue as when
I started. After 3 different types of header gaskets, All New Bolts with lock tight Nothing has changed WTF?
So, I decided to do a smoke test on my exhaust and all the smoke is coming out between the header flange and head. All the bolts are still tight and definitely Not one is even close to being loose. Kinda funny I installed Headers on my 70 351C 15 years ago and have never had any exhaust leaks. Does anybody have any idea what the hell the issue is and how to solve it? At this point, I think I'll just put the POS stock exhaust manifolds back on. By the way, the Header gaskets that are currently installed are supposed
to be Sealed For Good/Leak-Free Seal aluminum gaskets, or that's what the manufacture claims anyway.
Any ideas will Greatly be appreciated.

1. Have the header flanges checked for flatness and have them machined if necessary.

2. It's possible the header bolts are a bit too long and they're bottoming out in the heads without pulling the header flanges tightly onto them.

Fotoman

Reaction score
I was thinking, HA and that usually means trouble. Could the issue be that the exhaust ports on the head are D-Shape and the BBK Headers are Round? and so is the gasket? I noticed that other header manufacturers like Pypes use a D-Shape port & Gasket to match the head? Just like the Ford factory manifold & Gasket. This is really driving me Nuts and the other problem is that unfortunatley, I live in
wonderful California and don't have a lot of options that I'm allowed to install due to the Stupid & ridiculous CARB restrictions.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking, HA and that usually means trouble. Could the issue be that the exhaust ports on the head are D-Shape and the BBK Headers are Round? and so is the gasket? I noticed that other header manufacturers like Pypes use a D-Shape port & Gasket to match the head? Just like the Ford factory manifold & Gasket. This is really driving me Nuts and the other problem is that unfortunatley, I live in
wonderful California and don't have a lot of options that I'm allowed to install due to the Stupid & ridiculous CARB restrictions.
Everybody uses a D shaped gasket, LT's, and also exhaust ports. happy xmas to u folks, stay safe.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back