Another MT-82 goes bust at 4k miles

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
I feel even worse for the folks already caught up with faulty drivelines and Ford leaving them out to dry. For your average blue collar worker that spends north of 35K+ on a car that doesn't work essentially has to got leave a sick feeling in the stomach.

Well I will give Ford the credit of fixing them when they break. Give it a little time. They will get it worked out.

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
The problem is if they fix what breaks with the same parts they will continue to break! I was really looking at a new stang but until Ford gets it in the right gear by replacing this at the source, no way!

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
Well I will give Ford the credit of fixing them when they break. Give it a little time. They will get it worked out.

^^^^ I really hope so as I was really excited to own one of these new 5.0L Mustangs. I was absolutely in love with the race red with glass roof and nav pack and brembo pack!!!

The problem is if they fix what breaks with the same parts they will continue to break! I was really looking at a new stang but until Ford gets it in the right gear by replacing this at the source, no way!

^+1. Unless everything is properly fixed I wont be getting one either. Cant risk it when spending 45K (Canadian pricing, lol).

As of now I think im gunna look for a used 2010+ gt500 instead. This will be extending my self $$$ wise but what the heck.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
This actually a somewhat common problem for "performance cars" since the dawn of time.

Manufacturers try to use as many common parts up and down the model line as possible. From using the same engines and transmissions and unibodies for a whole range of vehicles. The trans in my Tahoe is out of a passenger car and of course failed when it got pounded on a little.

Ford cant really just "raise the price" an extra $500 either. They have price points in the market class they have to stay under and still build the car and make a profit. If you can save $200 per trans on 30,000 cars a year thats $6 million off your yearly bottom line.

Give Ford a little time here. I've always said you never want to buy "the first" of anything. I think Ford has a few design, vehicle assembly procedure and vendor issues to work out, but they will .... eventually. I knew of trans problems and still bought one, but this is also not my only means of transportation.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
This actually a somewhat common problem for "performance cars" since the dawn of time.

Manufacturers try to use as many common parts up and down the model line as possible. From using the same engines and transmissions and unibodies for a whole range of vehicles. The trans in my Tahoe is out of a passenger car and of course failed when it got pounded on a little.

Ford cant really just "raise the price" an extra $500 either. They have price points in the market class they have to stay under and still build the car and make a profit. If you can save $200 per trans on 30,000 cars a year thats $6 million off your yearly bottom line.

Give Ford a little time here. I've always said you never want to buy "the first" of anything. I think Ford has a few design, vehicle assembly procedure and vendor issues to work out, but they will .... eventually. I knew of trans problems and still bought one, but this is also not my only means of transportation.

+eleventy billion. All manufacturers go through this. *cough* GT-R *cough*

queenbeeGT

grab her
Reaction score
sooooo..... should I put my car back to stock before I take it in to the dealer? lol

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
tempting with 0% apr for 5 years though

not to mention $1500 cash back

and the local dealer has a kona blue one i've been eyeballing, man i wish i had my truck paid off right now

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
sooooo..... should I put my car back to stock before I take it in to the dealer? lol
whats all done

if you have any kinda of aftermarket shifter i would put the stock back on

driveshaft, i would probably put the stock one back on

major power adders such as supercharger, nitrous etc

queenbeeGT

grab her
Reaction score
whats all done

if you have any kinda of aftermarket shifter i would put the stock back on

driveshaft, i would probably put the stock one back on

major power adders such as supercharger, nitrous etc

Boss intake manifold, JLT cai, and off road X with agressive BBR tune:beerdrink:

cshiznitzj

forum member
Reaction score
I would return it all to stock before i took it in. i.e that is not much work with those bolt ons.

drboyd

Reaction score
Hmmm. Just so happened that this 2011 is the vehicle where I decided to go with an automatic because my left knee is going out.

I may still feel like a wuss, but at least I'm a lucky wuss.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
^^^^ I really hope so as I was really excited to own one of these new 5.0L Mustangs. I was absolutely in love with the race red with glass roof and nav pack and brembo pack!!!

^+1. Unless everything is properly fixed I wont be getting one either. Cant risk it when spending 45K (Canadian pricing, lol).

As of now I think im gunna look for a used 2010+ gt500 instead. This will be extending my self $$$ wise but what the heck.

My old 2010 GT500 had the famous 1-2 grind or not go in at all at times Fords answer to the issue was 'dont try to shift fast from 1-2 at more than 1/2 throttle'

A few guys with the problem had the trans rebuilt (with the same parts that failed, nothing has been revised/uodated) but most likely they will fail again the first time the syncro teeth grind getting on it some. Just be careful and drive it first before you buy one, just because its a GT500 doesnt mean its immune to trans problems, mine also burned up the rear carrier bearings with 900 miles on it and the fuel gauge never worked right until I found a pinched wire under the back seat. It was a 'monday' car for sure and was glad to see it go.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I'm going automatic.. To hell with this shit!

My MT82 shifts great, makes zero noise, and that's exactly why I'm going to switch it out, NOW. lol.. This way, I might be able to at least sell it in good condition.

Travis

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going automatic.. To hell with this shit!

My MT82 shifts great, makes zero noise, and that's exactly why I'm going to switch it out, NOW. lol.. This way, I might be able to at least sell it in good condition.

Travis

Good choice. :beerchug2:

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
My old 2010 GT500 had the famous 1-2 grind or not go in at all at times Fords answer to the issue was 'dont try to shift fast from 1-2 at more than 1/2 throttle'

A few guys with the problem had the trans rebuilt (with the same parts that failed, nothing has been revised/uodated) but most likely they will fail again the first time the syncro teeth grind getting on it some. Just be careful and drive it first before you buy one, just because its a GT500 doesnt mean its immune to trans problems, mine also burned up the rear carrier bearings with 900 miles on it and the fuel gauge never worked right until I found a pinched wire under the back seat. It was a 'monday' car for sure and was glad to see it go.

yah i know about the 1-2 shift problem on the TR6060. I mean you gotta take your chances somewhere I suppose these days. The TR6060 is definitely far less problematic (in reporting atleast) and used in a lot more cars then the MT-82. Ill take my chances with a used 2010+ GT500 over a new GT with the MT-82.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
I drove a 2012 with 17 miles over the weekend. The salesman said "the shifter might be a little stiff because the car has so few miles" lol

It shifted like butter until i went to pull in and down shift into 2nd. I was pulling back for about 2 seconds before it went in. That was at about 15mph. Other than that it seemed fine, but for a new car you wouldn't think that was a good sign

Reaction score
I drove a 2012 with 17 miles over the weekend. The salesman said "the shifter might be a little stiff because the car has so few miles" lol

It shifted like butter until i went to pull in and down shift into 2nd. I was pulling back for about 2 seconds before it went in. That was at about 15mph. Other than that it seemed fine, but for a new car you wouldn't think that was a good sign

No way man, that is normal...

I had a squirrel jump out of my shifter bezel and bite my hand. The ford tech said that was normal also. :chairfall:

rodmoe

Reaction score
No way man, that is normal...

I had a squirrel jump out of my shifter bezel and bite my hand. The ford tech said that was normal also. :chairfall:

LMAO good one !
but if that dumb skip shift was in the way at the time without a noticed dash light aka small text in the info display for a short time while you are driving !! it could be that if you were forcing . But it should have slid into 4th so i may be grasping at straws on this .. shame too its a nice car

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
yah i know about the 1-2 shift problem on the TR6060. I mean you gotta take your chances somewhere I suppose these days. The TR6060 is definitely far less problematic (in reporting atleast) and used in a lot more cars then the MT-82. Ill take my chances with a used 2010+ GT500 over a new GT with the MT-82.

Ford is just as reluctant to fix either one and blame it on the driver lol. The 6060 has its good points, but they didnt use the carbon linings on the 1-2 and 2-3 syncros, they were narrowed some because of the wider gears and it just barely worked on the 2007-2009 cars. Then add the extra weight/friction of the 2010 twin disc and the problem really shows up. Corvettes, challengers and Camaros all have the same problems with the 6060.

RSG and D&D have carbon blockers available and it supposedly fixes the issue, I just refused to rebuild the trans myself on a car I just paid 50K+ for.

But you can get into a 2010 GT500 for around 40K right now, the bottom fell out on the 2010s because the 2011 was a pretty good improvement. 40K is near loaded GT money, if I had a choice of the clean used 2010 GT500 or new loaded GT for nearly the same money I'd take the GT500..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back