Antifreeze mixing

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have finished installing my super charger and ready to replenish coolant in the radiator. Problem is the coolant looks yellow. Not green diluted and different from Orange diluted. I've never seen a yellow coolant. I know mixing the two would be bad. Should I just fill with water for now and then take it somewhere to get it flushed. I didn't buy ford coolant orange to put back in. Here's a photo of what came of and the other is what I had planned putting back until I noticed color. I have owed this car since 07 and really never had much done other then oil changes and tires. Only 30k miles on it. This is an early 05 would think anything should be different from Others.

Thanks
Beau
f2607925a1a009c3de8689399045148b.jpg
b7b3e116cc7510d8eac0afc619ce38a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like someone mixed green and orange. Dex-cool is not the correct kind as its only approved for gm vehicles anyway, and its also garbage, do a google search on dex-cool problems. If you fill it completely with distilled water now and then drain it all to fill with the correct stuff shortly after, you are flushing the system so no need to take it anywhere for a "flush". All you need is regular old green anti freeze, the mix you go with will depend on your climate. I'm in VA and run 75% distilled water 25% green antifreeze. If you more north just stick with 50/50.

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Ford made a "gold" coolant for a while. I've got a bottle of it in my garage.

"Gold" is the correct antifreeze, and it is yellow ... copied from the Mustang owner manual .

"Motorcraft  Premium Gold Engine Coolant with bittering agent (yellow-colored)" .. Ford spec WSS-M97B51-A1.

As noted Ford warns against mixing different anti-freeze colors ... You can mix coolant as long as it meets Ford spec ...

As long as you flush the system you can run any color you want.

The current Ford orange is basically Dex-cool.

I've been running Wally-World Super Tech yellow coolant in my inter-cooler and engine coolant.. It's made by Prestone and a $1.5 a gallon cheaper.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! The dex cool was not setting with me is part of the reason I posted that pic. Our Napa store had no clue and said it would work. All my searches came up with Ford's orange coolant. I would have asked our local Ford Dealer but Those guys are a bunch of f**k tards and have never trusted them. I will look into the ford gold. Again thanks for the help.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Dex-cool is trash, I wouldn't use in anything even if it was free.

Use universal "any make, any model" antifreeze available anywhere from any brand and forget about the worries.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I went against my mechanic's recommendation and flushed the Ford gold coolant in my Bullitt. Replaced it with good old Prestone green and never had an issue. Now Ford is using red coolant. They can't make up their minds and keep changing it every few years, I guess the gold shit wasn't so good after all.

Still have the red in the 2014 Mustang and will leave it until it needs attention. At that point I will evaluate the effectiveness/cost of the red versus Prestone green and decide from there.

But the fact that Ford abandoned the gold coolant already tells me that it may not have been everything they were hoping, plus availability will be limited. Because of that I'd go ahead and flush/refill with green. Use the proven, reliable stuff.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I went against my mechanic's recommendation and flushed the Ford gold coolant in my Bullitt. Replaced it with good old Prestone green and never had an issue. Now Ford is using red coolant. They can't make up their minds and keep changing it every few years, I guess the gold shit wasn't so good after all.

Still have the red in the 2014 Mustang and will leave it until it needs attention. At that point I will evaluate the effectiveness/cost of the red versus Prestone green and decide from there.

But the fact that Ford abandoned the gold coolant already tells me that it may not have been everything they were hoping, plus availability will be limited. Because of that I'd go ahead and flush/refill with green. Use the proven, reliable stuff.

I prefer the green too, my hesitation with it is somehow some mono adds incompatible coolant to top it off and it turns to mud. I wish I could flush the Dex-cool out of every vehicle that comes thru my shop and use the green, but again I worry about what happens out in the world with top offs.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
It is available at every parts store and wal-mart in the country, however I do recommend universal coolant myself.

You are correct. However, when is the last time a manufacturer had it in a car from the factory. It is available because that is one of those things that you "can't teach and old dog new tricks". The manufacturers of the coolant keep it available because it sells.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guys, it's fucking coolant, not rocket surgery. Just dump whatever in your car (as long as it's not Dex cool), and don't mix colors. Seriously, it's not that bloody difficult.

46addict

Reaction score
Motorcraft Gold (yellow) is a low silicate G05 coolant designed to minimize gelation and sludge in the cooling system. Universal green coolant may not have the anti cavitation characteristics as a good G05 coolant. Not to mention they may have a higher silicate count that turns into solid bits which can ruin water pump impellers or get lodged in passageways. This should not be an issue though if you drain & fill the cooling system every 2-3 years like you're supposed to.

From my knowledge 2004 (2v) to 2009 Mustang 4.6s came factory filled with Motorcraft Gold. I'm sure V6s and other year Mustangs and other vehicles did as well, I just don't know when the cutoff was. This link shows all Motorcraft coolants that meet WSS-M97B51-A1, but I wouldn't mix colors myself. http://www.fordparts.com/Products/C...olants.aspx?fmccmp=myfordmag-site-MFPR0415SCM

Dex-cool is fine to use too as long as the old coolant is completely flushed, to prevent mixing with a different coolant type. It looks like the issues GM cars had with Dex-cool stemmed from intake manifold gaskets and water pump gaskets not being compatible with the coolant. I'm not sure if that applies to Fords. Another thing about Dex-cool is they tend to sludge up when introduced to air pockets.

In short flush out whatever is in it now and use Motorcraft Gold. I haven't looked up the red coolant but I would guess it's an OAT (organic acid tech, which belongs in the same group as Dex-cool). They are designed around aluminum parts and the main benefits to OAT is longer service life and anti-corrosion properties.

Last edited:

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft Gold (yellow) is a low silicate G05 coolant designed to minimize gelation and sludge in the cooling system. Universal green coolant may not have the anti cavitation characteristics as a good G05 coolant. Not to mention they may have a higher silicate count that turn into solid bits that ruin water pump impellers or get lodged in passageways. This should not be an issue though if you drain & fill the cooling system every 2-3 years like you're supposed to.

From my knowledge 2004 (2v) to 2009 Mustang 4.6s came factory filled with Motorcraft Gold. I'm sure V6s and other year Mustangs and other vehicles did as well, I just don't know when the cutoff was. This link shows all Motorcraft coolants that meet WSS-M97B51-A1, but I wouldn't mix colors myself. http://www.fordparts.com/Products/C...olants.aspx?fmccmp=myfordmag-site-MFPR0415SCM

Dex-cool is fine to use too as long as the old coolant is completely flushed, to prevent mixing with a different coolant type. It looks like the issues GM cars had with Dex-cool stemmed from intake manifold gaskets and water pump gaskets not being compatible with the coolant. I'm not sure if that applies to Fords. Another thing about Dex-cool is they tend to sludge up when introduced to air pockets.

In short flush out whatever is in it now and use Motorcraft Gold. I haven't looked up the red coolant but I would guess it's an OAT (organic acid tech, which belongs in the same group as Dex-cool). They are designed around aluminum parts and the main benefits to OAT is longer service life and anti-corrosion properties.
I like the detail here. I actually pick up Ford's gold to put back in a few days ago. Parts manager didn't know why they switched to orange. Was hoping to learn something new. You seemed to cover all that 46addict. I have never had any problems with the car or cooling temps so i will put gold back in. 50/50 in the radiator and 70/30 for super charger. Planned on adding some purple ice in that mix for SC. Heat exchanger is a new take off from 13 gt500 very clean. Everything else is like new but I just fill everything with water when I start it just to flush. KEY word is when. 2 yr old and a 5wk old, so the car is setting almost ready to start. I get the stink eye ever time I think of heading to the garage. Lol. Thanks for the info.

Trying to teach our little one young while mommy wasn't watching us.
90598ddee4526d2de5b4257387ae9a48.jpg

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I don't even use coolant. Maybe a couple cups are left in there but I've drained and changed a few times. But its all water with some water wetter.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't even use coolant. Maybe a couple cups are left in there but I've drained and changed a few times. But its all water with some water wetter.

You don't deal with freezing temperatures in Vegas.
Also, you might want to add a bit of antifreeze for corrosion resistance and lubrication.

07 Boss

Reaction score
You don't deal with freezing temperatures in Vegas.
Also, you might want to add a bit of antifreeze for corrosion resistance and lubrication.

Yeah, about every other year or so I add a little for exactly that purpose. I do drain and fill it every year and never noticed any discoloration due to corrosion.

Back