Any AL 302 techs out there? Looking for Input

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to pick up a few 302 blocks over the next couple of weeks and I am looking for some advise.

I plan on building a pure track car out of a wrecked 05 S197 that has no motor or trany. I have been told that 302 AL blocks are good to about 550 bhp. Is this a fair assesment? If so, for a pure track car, should I shoot for 550 or lower, like 500? Is there a way to reinforce the block's webbing to hold together at a higher HP?

Also, I am looking to do this completely NA. The main thing I could really use some advise on would be the stroker kit needed to pull this off. I see a lot of 347 kits, but the highest comp ratios I see with domed pistons are about 12:1. Is this going to give me the power range I am looking for or do I need to be at somethink like 14:1?

Thanks,
Spaz

memphis90

Reaction score
What type of racing are you talking about doing? For any serious h.p. application, you will want an aftermarket block for sure. Both the cast iron and aluminum aftermarket blocks can handle alot of power if done right. The compression ratio need is dependant on which form of racing you are planning on, and which head combination you go with.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am going to pick up a few 302 blocks over the next couple of weeks and I am looking for some advise.

I plan on building a pure track car out of a wrecked 05 S197 that has no motor or trany. I have been told that 302 AL blocks are good to about 550 bhp. Is this a fair assesment? If so, for a pure track car, should I shoot for 550 or lower, like 500? Is there a way to reinforce the block's webbing to hold together at a higher HP?

Also, I am looking to do this completely NA. The main thing I could really use some advise on would be the stroker kit needed to pull this off. I see a lot of 347 kits, but the highest comp ratios I see with domed pistons are about 12:1. Is this going to give me the power range I am looking for or do I need to be at somethink like 14:1?

Thanks,
Spaz
Completely N/A? Use a big block.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well, I am trying to do some "cheap" drag racing.

I am getting the two Ford 302 blocks for $175 total. I would like to keep each build under $3k compared to spending $3k - $5k just for the block.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
That's why I suggested the big block. I can push a 3200 lb Fox body to 10.50's with a hydraulic cammed 460 and a C4. Hypereutectic pistons, prepped stock rods, stock crank, standard bearings and ring set, stock oil pump, FRPP hydraulic cam, iron heads with decent valves, Offy intake, 850 Holley, and MSD ignition. Use a 5000 rpm Hughes converter and C4 with 4.10 gears and 28x10.5 tires.

Done it plenty of times. Try to run 10.50's with a 302 and you'll end up spending a lot more money. Big blocks are cheap and easy.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
hummmm...so, one of the blocks are going into a Rancherro (with a stock build). What the hell do I do with the other one?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Sit on it. Coat the machined surfaces with heavy grease and bag it up. Not like they're making any more of them.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
We might just be able to work that out... let me see what it will cost to get it to you...unless you feel like taken a ride.

What's your zip?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
How did we go from "nah, 302 no good for what your doin..." to "I'll takem'!" I gotta watch you guys...

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
interesting thread, has someone put a BB in a s197 yet?

Is the s197 gt and non gt (v6) the same exact frame?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I'm not sure of anyone who has don't it for street cars. I have seen some "track only" cars with 408's but no 514's or 532's...would be sick for sure.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Cale Aronson has an Outlaw 10.5 car with a 698" Thor-headed Kaase big block in his '05 body-in-white. Yes, it is a full blown race car but it has the stock front frame rails/firewall and it fits.

There's another guy here in the Houston area that just finished an Outlaw 10.5 '06 body. It has an 816" Ford Hemi-headed Kaase engine with five stages of nitrous.

The engine will fit. I kinda wish I had the time/money to do something like that.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Cale Aronson has an Outlaw 10.5 car with a 698" Thor-headed Kaase big block in his '05 body-in-white. Yes, it is a full blown race car but it has the stock front frame rails/firewall and it fits.

There's another guy here in the Houston area that just finished an Outlaw 10.5 '06 body. It has an 816" Ford Hemi-headed Kaase engine with five stages of nitrous.

The engine will fit. I kinda wish I had the time/money to do something like that.
\
my old man is looking for one to put his 557/glide combo in. we'll probably wind up with a V6 car since they are getting cheap now.
anybody in the market for suncoast 33 ford roadster setup for sbf/bbf-glide combo? suncoast makes a 05-up body for them now :)

Hokiestang89

Habitual Linestepper
Reaction score
There was an issue of 5.0 magazine about a year ago that had a s197 with a 427 FE side oiler in it complete with the autolite dual carb set-up.
It looked awesome, like it was made for it, coolest conversion ive seen so far.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back