Anyone Do a Fox Body Build with a 4.6L 3v?

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I am looking for a project to get involved with once Winter breaks. I have always loved Fox Body Mustangs; especially Notchbacks. I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to stick a 2007/2008 4.6L 3v engine in one with either a built TR3650 or TR6060.

I figure I would drop a high CR, cammed up NA motor in it. I figure 400+ HP, 370+ TQ at the wheels would be insane with that little ass car.

I was wondering if any of our vendors or members swapped an S197 motor and trans into a Fox before? If so, how much work was it as far as the motor mounts, steering, and the drive line tunnel for the trans?

I don't mind doing minor floor pan and tunnel stuff, but I don't want to spend weeks fabricating parts. If it is close to drop-in, I'll likely do it.

Any feedback from your project would be appreciated.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Funny, I was thinking about this today. I had a Fox with a 96-98 Cobra swap in it with a TKO600. Awesome car! Had the full computer ran and mounted in the trunk. I was thinking one with a Coyote.....

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I forget which magazine it was but they did a 3V swap into a fox and did a whole detailed couple of articles on it. You should do a big bore stroker 3V all Bruce and spyder style and have some fun.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not N/A, but shit yeah!!!

1993-ford-mustang-lx-engine.jpg

http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...-mustang-lx-bringing-home-the-canadian-bacon/

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I am looking for a project to get involved with once Winter breaks. I have always loved Fox Body Mustangs; especially Notchbacks. I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to stick a 2007/2008 4.6L 3v engine in one with either a built TR3650 or TR6060.

I figure I would drop a high CR, cammed up NA motor in it. I figure 400+ HP, 370+ TQ at the wheels would be insane with that little ass car.

I was wondering if any of our vendors or members swapped an S197 motor and trans into a Fox before? If so, how much work was it as far as the motor mounts, steering, and the drive line tunnel for the trans?

I don't mind doing minor floor pan and tunnel stuff, but I don't want to spend weeks fabricating parts. If it is close to drop-in, I'll likely do it.

Any feedback from your project would be appreciated.

I would love to do a Notch too. A 3v would be a good option for me. I have two spare motors and of course I could add boost without much trouble.

I'm really leaning toward a low buck sleeper though. Maybe a shitbox Fox body Fairmont (so all the suspension stuff is easy). Really light/gutted with some sort of turbo arrangement so I can keep a stock hood (sleeper). And sorry to say but most likely a LS. Something I don't have to worry about being nice. Something that I can click off mid to low 9's with. Or maybe 8's.:beerdrink:

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I was going to do a 3v in mine but the swap parts are so frickin high its unreal. There are some things you can do to get around but its not the ideal option. I just said screw it and sold my spare 3v and bought an LS. Ill spend about the same amount of money and have over 400hp to the wheels. I think ill be a little more satisfied with that. Now to get my 03 cobra IRS situation sorted out and ill be cookin

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I did a 4V Mach1 swap on my old red coupe with all new edge wiring mach460 one-touch power windows remote keyless entry etc. several years ago.
It was a nice little car. The last owner put a Terminator motor in it.

It's a easy swap
You can use a stock sn95/new edge k-member and 1" shorter than fox length a-arms to keep stock track width using 96-04 spindles.
Use a frpp control pack for the 3V or a Fast or BS3 or Pro-efi with cam phaser lockouts.
A 01-04 style 3650 or t56 will work
99-04 hydraboost just swap the new edge brake pedal into fox pedal box.
Use 99-04 p/s hoses.
96-04 a/c compressor with matching a/c hoses just swap evaporator over to 96-04 outlets(easy swedge and solder)

Although if I had to do a mod swap again I would go coyote like my buddy did this Saleen that I built a motor for

a22edb37b7f8225cf55a5a2113d9b594.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I've read the F150 5.0's have a different cam and also lower compression.
It probably wouldn't be too much work to bring it to mustang spec.
From checking out ebay it looks like a 4k price difference between the engines.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Man I would love to coyote swap my 85 fox body vert! 3V would probably be more cost effective though. Keep those write up links coming.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Looks like the project might be doable fairly easy from what I have been reading. I have a big payday coming in a couple months (new contract award). Once I get the cash... I'm going to start looking for a clean Fox to start with.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
My brother just put my old stock 3v into a convertible fox. i dont think the cost was too bad outside the control packs and the k member. It would be bettered a bit lower, as it sits we needed a cowl hood to close properly. Everything was done in the driveway with basic tools and jack stands.

Headers were tight fit and needed to be fabbed up a bit, but it all fits.

00Q0Q_8YSPzOzW4hn_600x450.jpg

00E0E_7UGqPOJKdb3_600x450.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back