Anyone lose interest in modding their mustangs?

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
I lost interest awhile ago, but am trying to find that bug again.

The car sat for 10 months from march '12 to Jan' 13 and I thought once I went for a drive i'd be hooked. Wrong. I've driven it 3 times since and one included to the track last night. I've gone back and forth selling the car but it's difficult as this is the last tie I have with my grand parents beings they both enjoyed the car as much as I did. I went through this streak about 10 years ago and sold my mustang which I still regret to this day. I got out of it for about 2 years then got antsy agian. My wife has been trying to convince me to keep it and install the parts i've collected, but it's difficult to spend money on something that doesn't interest you as it once did. I'm starting to lean towards keeping it, and it'll be there when I'm ready...It's free and clear, but it'd be really nice to through that money at the mortgage.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Some people drift from one thing to another. Friend of mine is currently all about RC helicopters. At one time it was guns. Then guitars. Then overclocking his PC and playing games. And another time it was modding his STI. This is called novelty seeking.

Myself am a bit different. I have a couple hobbies I stick with and never get bored of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Some people drift from one thing to another. Friend of mine is currently all about RC helicopters. At one time it was guns. Then guitars. Then overclocking his PC and playing games. And another time it was modding his STI. This is called novelty seeking.

Myself am a bit different. I have a couple hobbies I stick with and never get bored of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

I didn't know that there was a descriptive term. I have many reoccuring hobbies (cars, computers, rc cars) but then random things kinda get thrown in the mix every now and again (airsoft, motorcycle, etc).

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'm pretty much done, nothing left to put on my car besides FI and I aint doing that.

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
done for now.

really do want to get the 6 piston brembos and a watts link and i would be truly done.

But i think im moving on from modding now. Time to save up for the 2015 stang!

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
I wish I could afford to mod my car... the thing is I don't even have crazy goals, I just want some nice wheels, a tuner and maybe a cam...

One day lol...

War Horse

forum member
Reaction score
I lost interest in my '08 because it cost so much for the power gains I was looking for, sold it and got a 240 horsepower increase in a 2010 GT500.

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I am bored with my car and actually STARTING the mod process. My car has some reasonable mods to start, so I was pretty happy with it. But over the last couple months I got the itch for a new one. I had to sit back for a bit and wonder why all of a sudden this happened, because it wasn't that big a deal not long ago. Then I realized it was because of the 2013 styling and the power of the GT500.

After wrangling back and forth, I decided that I cannot be without blower whine...and I really have to have the 2013 styling. That leaves me basically in the $50k+ range for cars that I would consider right now. Which means... I really can't afford it. Well, I can... but don't want to.

Therefore, I just decided to keep what I have and make it even more my own. Then maybe in a couple years down the road I can get a nice low mile GT500 or Roush or something with a blower for the mid 40's. Just biding my time rather than just buying another car to buy another car. The government gets enough of my money. LOL

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Right when I get bored with my car is when I start looking for a new one. It's all about the modding for me, and once I'm done with it, I get bored. Time for a new car.

06underme

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I am lucky enough to not have enough money to get mine completley modded the way I want...lol....That would take 30k at least....so, its all good here. I will never get rid of my girl. Its my favorite body style, the only reason I have thought about upgrading is because of the potential of the 5.0

06underme

forum member
Reaction score
If you're losing interest, you're not racing it enough. Go do a track day or two and get back to me.

Agreed...become a scca member and autocross once a month. No experience is required and you will get sick with the bug again.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
I did. I threw all the parts in my sig within a couple of months and thought I woul have a bad ass NA Stang. Boy I was wrong. Could never get a decent tune on it and still drives kind of crappy.

Then I took it to the track and was kind of heartbroken. Know part of the underperformance was the driver as it was my first manual car going down the quarter. Then my windshield got hit by some lose gravel because our track is real shitty. Add a 105+ degree day and the two chips extended three quarters across my windshield the next day.

That really turned me off.

I'm wanting to remove the cams and getting a set of stockers on there and getting retuned. Hopefully then I can start enjoying driving my car again!

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I did. I threw all the parts in my sig within a couple of months and thought I woul have a bad ass NA Stang. Boy I was wrong. Could never get a decent tune on it and still drives kind of crappy.

Then I took it to the track and was kind of heartbroken. Know part of the underperformance was the driver as it was my first manual car going down the quarter. Then my windshield got hit by some lose gravel because our track is real shitty. Add a 105+ degree day and the two chips extended three quarters across my windshield the next day.

That really turned me off.

I'm wanting to remove the cams and getting a set of stockers on there and getting retuned. Hopefully then I can start enjoying driving my car again!

Have you looked into True Street Motorsports? BLk2012GT has them in his and they tuned his and said they run great.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Buy a Honda.

No, I'm serious. A topic like this came up on a different forum a couple years ago and one of the guys said the best money he ever spent regarding his Viper was a Honda Accord. Make the slow car your D/D, you'll get used to it and your fast car will feel awesome again. Every time I go away on business for a week, I get used to the rental car (usually some Kia) and suddenly the Mustang doesn't feel boring anymore. Plus you get to keep the miles off it.

That said, my Mustang is still my D/D. Yeah I don't have the cash I want to drop on another car. Plus insurance. But if you have the money...

As far as my boredom with the car goes, yeah its not as exciting as when I first got it (my 1st new car) or when I started doing the suspension mods or the big 60k upgrade (gt500 bumper, CS6 hood, painted stripes). But, it was about more than the mods themselves, I enjoyed working on it and improving the breed. And theres always some project to do. Right now its tracking down the clunks, making it ride better. Then it'll be researching a new clutch. Then fabricating a lower grille for my CDC aggressive chin spoiler since they don't make one. Then more interior work to make it feel a little less like cheap molded plastic. Then see if I can do a tasteful retrofit for some projector headlights. You get point.

I want to refine my car to the point where its a truly cohesive, custom Mustang (looks awesome and you know its not stock but you cant glance at the car and pick out "OK there's an aftermarket spoiler, there's an aftermarket grille he put on", etc). THAT is going to keep me busy for a long time to come.

And if that doesn't do it for you, restoring classic bikes is a *relatively* cheap hobby with TONS to do...all the time...even when you just want it to work for a couple weeks

Turd burglar

forum member
Reaction score
I've barely had my 5.0 a month, but I'm about at the end of easily reversible warranty retaining mods. The car feels tame already and I'm fighting the urge for an AED tune. The mt82 is my only hold back as i can't reasonably afford to replace it in the event it lets go. To make matters worse, my buddy just threw a pulley, tune, intake and tb on his zl1 (personally think the car is awesome, some will disagree) and now I feel the extreme urge for a tvs or whipple. Sadly, $$$ is always the buzz kill

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Not bored but exterior, interior, brakes and suspension basically done... Problem is I'm too cheap to make the fi jump and know bolt ons are a waste :/

Maybe if it was my only expensive hobby, but I ski too (9 days already this year and in vt now for more )

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back