Aren't you a little too old for that car? (Answer)

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Goodness, all you guys are old! I'm 23, I guess I fit the mustang stereotype... Lol

Yeah damn, I thought I was more the median age of guys on this forum since I'm 38 but apparently I'm on the younger end!

I tell people the Mustang is my midlife crisis car because I bought it when I was 30. I guess I'm not old enough for people to tell me I'm too old for my car, but if I get compliments it's mostly from kids or old dudes. It's funny to me how many kids I hear yell "Nice car" if I drive by with the windows open :D

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
I'm of the firm opinion that men don't have mid life crises. It's simply that they continue to want the same things from 14 through 70, but have to put those wants on the shelf during that "have kids, redirect funds" phase. It's at mid life that the free $$ taps start flowing again, ergo, that's when they start buying those things again.

In other words, boys will always be boys if they've got the funds to do so.

N2STC

Reaction score
Yeah damn, I thought I was more the median age of guys on this forum since I'm 38 but apparently I'm on the younger end!

I tell people the Mustang is my midlife crisis car because I bought it when I was 30. I guess I'm not old enough for people to tell me I'm too old for my car, but if I get compliments it's mostly from kids or old dudes. It's funny to me how many kids I hear yell "Nice car" if I drive by with the windows open :D
Guess I had better leave the windows open more often.;)

JJDAG

forum member
Reaction score
I’ve told them you don’t know me I’m on my 7th mustang been driving them since I was 17 and I still drive them like it stole it at 57 it’s just in my blood... and by the way what do you drive? Oh a Corolla oh that must be fun.. bet the girls just love it.

Mustang50lx

Reaction score
At age 12 , when I got my first car a 1964 Ford Van, I likes cars and girls. At age 53 I like cars and girls. Both have brought joy and sorrow. Both have cost a small fortune over the years. I wouldn't change any of it.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
Dang, I thought I was the old guy on here!

I just hit 49 this last week. The years sure go by quickly!

Live life like Ferris Buehler: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it".

I bought my Stang in 2008...I've had it 11 years since I was 38. When I bought it people asked me if I was having a mid-life crisis...I was not...but life is not always easy. You have to stop and smell the roses. Buying my Stang was a big whiff of awesome.

I've never had anyone tell me I'm too old or reference my age as it relates to my car. Maybe that comes later. That would take some huevos.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Go to any classic car show & see who's sitting on chairs behind the 50's to 70's era muscle cars...pretty much gray-haired men & wife's who love to own/drive/show-off their rides. IMO, never to old!!!

nfrizell

Reaction score
Nobody would say a thing if it was a hopped up pickup. The way I see it, my Mustang is just an F150 without a bed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RogerC

Reaction score
I'm 57 and on my 16th stang (11 MCA edition). Still have mustang #3, 69 coupe I'm rebuilding. Been driving them since my first 69 in high school. I used to get the question about fuel economy when I first bought my 06 (#15). My response was always "I didn't buy it for the fuel economy". I only get compliments with the 11.

cva66

Reaction score
To the guy who's 74, drive on, I've had 3 mustang gts, a 12, and 2 14s. I'm on the 3rd one now, traded in other cars to buy the stangs. 5.0 all the way!! And I'm going on 72. You're never too old to enjoy what you've got.

ipscshooter

Reaction score
I'll hit 62 this month. I've been driving mustangs since 1988 and "hot rods" pretty much since since high school (interrupted by a short stint driving a turbo Mitsubishi Starion).

My cars: In high school/college: 1971 Torino GT, originally with the 240 hp 2 bbl, 9:1 compression, bottom of the line 351-C. I rebuilt the engine in my mom's garage, basically to Boss 351 specs: ported the heads, bored over .030, 10.8:1 compression pistons, dual valve springs, Holley 780, Offenhauser intake manifold, Long Tube Headers, Accel dual point, 3.89 gears.

My second car after graduating law school, after the Starion, was a 1989 Mustang GT. For its 10th birthday, it got a complete bolt ons upgrade: heads, cam, intake, exhaust, suspension upgrades, 3.73's.

Now driving a 2013 Mustang GT with Roush Supercharger, long tube headers and Roush exhaust. It makes 563 hp at the rear wheels. My kids have instructions to bury me in it...

My wife just go a 2019 Mustang last week. Only half an engine... She got the Ecoboost. But I think a tune will liven it up a bit. LOL. She just turned 55 and was worried that she might be "too old" for a sports car. But... She loves it. Her last car was a 2013 Taurus SHO.

img008.jpg

My Stang.jpg

2013 Mustang After Mods 1 jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Alberto V

Reaction score
Well, I´ve found an easier solution:

1. Whenever I feel the question is coming I strike first and introduce my car as my "midlife crisis mobile".
2. This takes people of balance, they usually give me a look and start thinking of a reply.
3. Before they say anything I ask "what do you prefer? a married mid life guy with a nice ride or a married mid life guy chasing tail or pretending to be a teenager?".
4. Since must of the time critics are soccer moms, they just stay quiet for a bit and then they have to admit the car is the best choice (if they answer).
5. Sometimes they try to strike back with the "not a family car" argument; my instant reply is: "well, that´s why my other car is an SUV ;)".

Sometimes I´m tempted to add the fact that my kid and my wife love to cruise in my car as much as I do, but why waste time on haters?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back