audio guys check in here please

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have a 10" subwoofer in a custom enclosure along with an amp hooked to my shaker 500 mounted on the hump in my trunk. this whole wet up probably weighs in around 40lbs or so. i would like to mount a board behind the rear seats and mount both the amp and just the subwoofer (no enclosure) on this board so it can be easily removed when i'm going to the races. does the subwoofer actually need to be in an enclosure, or will it still work (and sound good) if mounted to what us old guys would call a baffle board? of course i could fire the woofer either toward the trunk or the rear seats.... let me know, kthanks.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
If you buy the correct sub it can sound decent. We always used Kicker Solo Baric subs for open applications when I did systems. They have an L7 solo baric that is damn nice and should sound decent. It would be very easy to fab a box to the back of the rear seat delete to help it out. If you like music with tight quick thumping bass, do a sealed box, if you like rap with the long buuuuuurrrrrrrrrsss, then do a ported box.

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i'm want to re-use my existing subwoofer...i doubt seriously it's the type you mentioned...the one that doesn't need an enclosure...i may have to do a trial and error type thing

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Is it the factory shaker 1000 system? You will want some kind of box. It would be super easy to build a shallow box as part of your rear seat delete.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no, i added it on to the shaker 500...it's just one 10 inch blaukpunkt....6000..something or other. i'll i have to go out there and look. i had it installed and this speaker came already mounted in an enclosure. it actually tucks out of the way really well, it's just a pain in the a** to remove in a hurry. actually, the amp doesn't weigh all that much, just a couple pounds, and it's mounted to the rear seat back, so i could just leave it there. the box and the speaker are fairly heavy. i was thinking i could fab a board about 15x40, and mount it to the part of the rear package deck that hangs down in the trunk vertically, and fire it toward the trunk and let the seat backs serve as the back part of the enclosure...of course it would pretty much be impossible to seal the ends. i have a couple of lightweight c clamps i could use to secure the board to the package rack in the trunk. the board would pretty much mounted vertically.

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
i was thinking i could fab a board about 15x40, and mount it to the part of the rear package deck that hangs down in the trunk vertically, and fire it toward the trunk and let the seat backs serve as the back part of the enclosure...of course it would pretty much be impossible to seal the ends. i have a couple of lightweight c clamps i could use to secure the board to the package rack in the trunk. the board would pretty much mounted vertically.

Im not trying to be a dick, but i dont get it

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the existing enclosure is a pita to remove when i want to go to the races. my thought is to make a removable baffle board or semi enclosure that is attached to the package rack(in the trunk, under the window) and basically mount it only with c clamps. all i would have to do then is remove the clamps and unplug the speaker wires and remove quite a bit of weight before going racin'...that's all. the shape of the existing enclosure makes it pretty difficult to remove easily, at least not without removing several straps and self tapping screws and such

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
Truth is this car is just not conducive to a good stereo. The easier solution for you would be to get a Bazooka. It is an all in one solution that removes SUPER EASY and sounds decent. They are all convienent size and shape, so you can easily pull it out at the track, and throw it in a friends car until youre done racing. They dont sound amazing, just very decent. It will ultimately sound better then using that sub on a baffle board. The only subs that sound decent on a baffle board are free air subs. If you can seal off the baffle board to the back of the trunk, you can run an infinite baffle sub and sound decent, but for all those solutions, the bazooka is going to be the best sound and easiest to do what youre trying to do. I came up with a few lightweight designs for our cars, but they are expensive. The high end bazooka (if I remember right) is $450 powered.

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
I think in my car I am going to run some old 6.5 inch MB Quartz's, with some Kicker SSMB8s in the doors, and I am going to run two 6 inch infinite baffle woofers mounted where the rear 5x7s are now, and seal the back deck.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you buy the correct sub it can sound decent. We always used Kicker Solo Baric subs for open applications when I did systems. They have an L7 solo baric that is damn nice and should sound decent. It would be very easy to fab a box to the back of the rear seat delete to help it out. If you like music with tight quick thumping bass, do a sealed box, if you like rap with the long buuuuuurrrrrrrrrsss, then do a ported box.

kickers are the shittttttttttttt lol thats my favorite company when it comes to subs/amps ect i actually just sold 4 10" l7's and a zx2500.1 a few months ago and had two kicker comp 18" before that

Truth is this car is just not conducive to a good stereo. The easier solution for you would be to get a Bazooka. It is an all in one solution that removes SUPER EASY and sounds decent. They are all convienent size and shape, so you can easily pull it out at the track, and throw it in a friends car until youre done racing. They dont sound amazing, just very decent. It will ultimately sound better then using that sub on a baffle board. The only subs that sound decent on a baffle board are free air subs. If you can seal off the baffle board to the back of the trunk, you can run an infinite baffle sub and sound decent, but for all those solutions, the bazooka is going to be the best sound and easiest to do what youre trying to do. I came up with a few lightweight designs for our cars, but they are expensive. The high end bazooka (if I remember right) is $450 powered.

true very true now you can just upgrade your door speakers too yea bro kicker makes a 8" "free air " sub that will work perfectly and give you a lil added sound now they have a few options as far as subs go ....you could do a jl stealth box , the bazooka tube , saleen box ( stage 3 motorsports ) or schoche box ...... all are compact and all roughly around the same price kinda just depends on what your looking for

bazooka actually makes one that looks like a nos bottle too lol

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The best thing would probably be to make a fiberglass enclosure. It's light, yet strong and you can make it to fit exactly where you want. The corners of the trunk are excellent spots for a 10" sub. You could remove it easily, but the weight difference would be small because of the actual weight of the enclosure. You can get all the materials for less than $100 and easily make the box in a weekend.

I'm currently in the process of making one that will be light enough to where it won't even be necessary to remove it when going to the track.

As was stated before, this car isn't very stereo friendly. Gotta be real creative when dealing with this trunk.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. gotta be honest, most of this stuff is new technology to me, and i'm kinda scratching my head trying to figure out what you're talking about. it's a great accomplishment for me just to post a pic on a forum like this!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Moving to the audio section

joestang08123

forum member
Reaction score
the kicker l7's are very good subs and require very little air space. i had this setup in my chrysler crossfire and they sounded excellent. now im selling this setup since i'm not into that any more. 300.00 + shipping. note: i sub is blown but still good price

Attachments

• Picture or Video 006.jpg
    Picture or Video 006.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture or Video 005.jpg
    Picture or Video 005.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture or Video 004.jpg
    Picture or Video 004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture or Video 007.jpg
    Picture or Video 007.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 12

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back