Auto Trans gurus...

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Got a wild hair, and I was wondering if anybody who REALLY knows AT programming would be interested in chiming in...

Level 10 transmissions is offering a Shiftronic setup for the 5R55 with electronic pushbutton shift control and switched converter lockup that I am positive can be converted into paddle-shift control. They indicate that this is a TRACK only system, requiring that you plug their controller into the trans harness, bypassing the drivetrain computer's settings.

This brings up the obvious concept that the shifts CAN be electrically controlled.

The downside to their kit is that automatic shifting is completely eliminated, in the same way a full-manual valve body would work on a non-electronic trans.

I was wondering exactly how much programability is available with the stock powertrain module... It will definately respond to manual shift input (via the shifter, be it a stock shifter or a ratchet setup), but while the upshift command is all well and good, there is a VERY noticable lag on a commanded downshift.

What I'm curious about doing is setting up a BMW-style shift program, where in "drive" the trans acts like a standard automatic, but when manually shifting, will have the responsiveness of a steptronic style setup in "sport mode." Ideally, I would love paddle shifters, but that may be extremely difficult...

Aside from saying that I'm smoking something illegal, anybody care to offer any thoughts?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Aside from saying that I'm smoking something illegal, anybody care to offer any thoughts?
Have you contacted them and asked?

It depends pretty wildly on how they built it, but conceptually, there should be a problem creating a "passthrough" mode to take the PCM's controls when in that mode...

It might need to be an "all or nothing" - that is, the porsche "tiptronic" can float back and forth - you can leave it in "auto" and hit the shift button manually - after a short delay if you are under low load at high RPM (i.e. it thinks you are an idiot), it will take back control...

That is harder - a true bypass or not would be easier...

I will say that a true manual-automatic or "sequential" trans without a clutch takes a LOT of getting used to - annoying to drive on the street...

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got a wild hair, and I was wondering if anybody who REALLY knows AT programming would be interested in chiming in...

Level 10 transmissions is offering a Shiftronic setup for the 5R55 with electronic pushbutton shift control and switched converter lockup that I am positive can be converted into paddle-shift control. They indicate that this is a TRACK only system, requiring that you plug their controller into the trans harness, bypassing the drivetrain computer's settings.

This brings up the obvious concept that the shifts CAN be electrically controlled.

The downside to their kit is that automatic shifting is completely eliminated, in the same way a full-manual valve body would work on a non-electronic trans.

I was wondering exactly how much programability is available with the stock powertrain module... It will definately respond to manual shift input (via the shifter, be it a stock shifter or a ratchet setup), but while the upshift command is all well and good, there is a VERY noticable lag on a commanded downshift.

What I'm curious about doing is setting up a BMW-style shift program, where in "drive" the trans acts like a standard automatic, but when manually shifting, will have the responsiveness of a steptronic style setup in "sport mode." Ideally, I would love paddle shifters, but that may be extremely difficult...

The problem is that the BMW automatic is actually a manual.
It's an SMG or Sequential Manual Gearbox.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Cekim: The info that I posted came directly from Level 10, who I called just before posting... for their module to work, you unplug the body harness from the trans, and plug in their harness, which is apparently programmed to be a simple shift actuator, with NO variable data; essentially it's a switch. I'm wondering now, if a simple transistor-based switching network would allow me to hot-switch between the PCM and the L10 modules...

Thump: You are correct, the BMW setup is a SMG rig, but I don't see that as being a problem... The L10 kit effectively forces that behaviour, but with NO automatic shifting whatsoever. I was looking at it from a driver-input viewpoint, rather than the mechanics... ,form dictating function rather than function dictating form, if you follow.

I still wonder if it's all more work than it's worth, though. Our current shifter setup acts like a hard gear selector, but it's very sluggish. When you drop the shifter into "3", the trans is locked in third gear, and will not up or downshift, unlike older units where selecting "2" allows 1st gear launch, automatic shift to second, and then holds you there.

Our "D" does NOT lock us in fourth, but does act like the older units, allowing all gears to be accessed, with OD being controlled by a switch.

Personally, I think that I would be happy if I could just get the trans to react a little more snappily on a forced downshift. A lag of up to a full second just isn't doing it for me. It's just too unpredictable for trying to hang revs for throttle-steering around corners, never knowing when the damn thing will shift on me... I love what JDM did for my shift firmness, but even there, it seems that I have an occasional upshift lag on throttle release. When I get on it momentarily, and then let off, the trans hangs for a moment in the lower gear, and then BANGS into the higher gear.

Maybe I should just say "screw it!" and save up for a 6060 conversion...

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would look further into what Aston Martin did being in the ford family up until last week.
An SMG setup would be extremely interesting since there is no torque converter to give that out of control disconnected feeling that autos give me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back