Automatic shifter options

Joker420

Reaction score
Hey, I’m new to the forums and I’ve been searching for hours trying to find any shifters that’ll work for the 5r55s that’s not the tci shifter. I think they are ugly and just don’t want to spend $500 on basically the same shifter just with an extra piece sticking out n that I won’t like. I’m open to making a custom shifter if need be but is there anything else out on the market that I can bolt in or maybe a universal shifter that would work with the shifter. Thanks in advance.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The TCI is the best bet, it is far from the same thing as the factory shifter

Joker420

Reaction score
I meant like the style of it looks similar to stock. I’m just not a fan of the t handle. Pretty sure tho if I can’t find something I’m gonna be stuck getting it. I’m just holding out Incase I can find something to my liking even if I have to fab it in the console

07 Boss

Reaction score
You can put any handle on it you want. Not sure about changing out the gear relase lever in front but I'm sure it could be modified. Though still a T-handle I went with B&M because I wanted the button on the handle for the OD.
That button also doubles as a line lock.

But to answer your question, No, you won't find another off the shelf on that will fit properly. You can always make something else fit in there if you want but I see that as being a lot more work than the worth. What exactly are you looking for?

D

Deleted GTRik

I couldn't stand the 05-09 shifter, and took a chance on the 10-12 shifter. Other than a plastic adapter piece that has to be removed, and the center console having to be cut open, the modification was ridiculously easy. OK, the shifter is designed for the contour of the 10-12 console, but with the 10-12 trim ring, it drastically improves the looks. One note: climate controls are a little more difficult to work at first. It took a few weeks to get used to the 10-12 shifters taller height.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I couldn't stand the 05-09 shifter, and took a chance on the 10-12 shifter. Other than a plastic adapter piece that has to be removed, and the center console having to be cut open, the modification was ridiculously easy. OK, the shifter is designed for the contour of the 10-12 console, but with the 10-12 trim ring, it drastically improves the looks. One note: climate controls are a little more difficult to work at first. It took a few weeks to get used to the 10-12 shifters taller height.
That looks terrible

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Don't buy a 13/14 with an auto. If you don't like that shifter there are no easy options. There is nothing available from TCI or anyone else for a direct swap out to date. Personally I love the looks of the TCI. And 07 Boss has a nice personal touch with the B&M handle addition. Sweet!

D

Deleted GTRik

That looks terrible
TCI is clunky. I paid all of $50 for the conversion, took 1/2 hour to switch, and have had many compliments for getting rid of the kiddie shifter. To each his own...its a helluva improvement over the original.

D

Deleted GTRik

...and I have more than one '10 change. The seat covers were switched, as well as the steering wheel badge. I ditched F150-style original rear view mirrors, and I deleted the F150 style antenna.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
You can put any handle on it you want. Not sure about changing out the gear relase lever in front but I'm sure it could be modified. Though still a T-handle I went with B&M because I wanted the button on the handle for the OD.
That button also doubles as a line lock.

But to answer your question, No, you won't find another off the shelf on that will fit properly. You can always make something else fit in there if you want but I see that as being a lot more work than the worth. What exactly are you looking for?

I wish I would have thought of that, I hate where the OD button is. How hard was that to wire did you do a write up?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
...and I have more than one '10 change. The seat covers were switched, as well as the steering wheel badge. I ditched F150-style original rear view mirrors, and I deleted the F150 style antenna.

Hmmmm...every car of truck I owned only had one rear view mirror -- a left side view and a right side view. They did have two side view mirrors though. Sorry couldn't resist that. LOL!

07 Boss

Reaction score
I wish I would have thought of that, I hate where the OD button is. How hard was that to wire did you do a write up?

Yeah, pretty stupid spot to stick the button.

No write up, pretty easy though. I just found which wires went to the button and wired it into the button on the handle. Have no idea which one it was, that was like 8-9 years ago.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back