Axle-Back Recommendations

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
I have the corsa sports, they got really loud and tinny sounding when I added longtubes. I deleted the cats afterwards just for the heck of it and its stupid loud when you get on it.

Added 2 small resonators before the axle to fix the metallic tinny sound (corsa has no packing material). That helped.

I will be adding highflow cats and X pipe to smooth it out more.

But, in every setup, no matter how loud outside, the corsas were absolutely dead quiet inside, no drone.

Not sure if the sound is nice with the offroad X though, might be to raspy loud metallic sounding without extra resonators.

This! I have long tube headers, no cats, H pipe, Magnaflow 17”? resonators and Corsa sports. With the addition of the resonators the sound is just about perfect. Without the resonators it was too “crackly”. Loud when you want, but all day quiet on the freeway.

SPDBOSS

Reaction score
This! I have long tube headers, no cats, H pipe, Magnaflow 17”? resonators and Corsa sports. With the addition of the resonators the sound is just about perfect. Without the resonators it was too “crackly”. Loud when you want, but all day quiet on the freeway.
I also have the Corsa Sports and they do sound awesome on my 2012 Boss 302. Have Kooks LTH w/ Kooks catted H pipe, left the stock resonators in place. On the track above 5000 RPM, the sound is awesome without being obnoxious. Around town or highway, no drone and its no louder than my stock axle-back mufflers.

Reaction score
The corsa mufflers are very good at eliminating drone, I found they droned even less than the stock mufflers when the rest of my exhaust was still stock. They also keep it civil with normal driving, but as soon as I get into it, they almost turn to straight pipes. They just need cats or resonators to stop them becoming very metallic raspy sounding.

If you dont want drone but are leaning towards borla atak with an offroad midpipe, you are in for a world of pain.

All types of adsorbtion mufflers like borla and magnaflow (using perforated pipes and packing) create some sort of drone because they filter higher frequenties and leave just the low bassy tone. Sounds nice and deep, but the by-product is drone unless you keep the volume in check.

Corsa utilizes the same principle as any stock muffler where resonance chambers are used to cancel soundwaves out. Its a different form of muffling which takes away some deepness but also drone.

I cut open my factory muffler on my old E92 which used both absorbtion (packing material) and many chambres into which the gasses were led. Sticking to this method, I simply shortened the route by cutting and welding some of the pipes, making sure to still use at least some chambres and packing and the result was a great sporty typical straight six snarl but zero drone.

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
I have axle back MF Magnapacks on my NA 4.6 CAI and a street tune. I think they are the best of both worlds. quiet for the neighbors and cruising but wake up nicely when you put your foot into it with no rasp and no drone......

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll throw another option at you, a company many people forget/or don't know about is Heartthrob exhaust. Stacy David on Gearz tv show uses a lot of their stuff and I've heard their exhaust on a couple cars locally and it sounds great. They will custom build as well...
http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/

My big thing with Heartthrob is that they almost exclusively use aluminized pipe. I guess that makes it cheaper but it gets rusty way too fast. I also don't know why they seem to be stuck on those shitty u-bolt clamps, they even give you those with a Mustang axle back.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
There’s a couple more id like to hear, anybody heard Pypes Violators or the Fr500S mufflers on a cat-deleted car? I’m searching for vids, too, so post em if you got em.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I liked the sound of my chambered mufflers but the resonance was just too damn annoying.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score

Sounds like you still have cats on there.

I have Outlaws with an OR H-pipe and had to mid mount some Cherry Bombs to tone it down. It’s still obnoxious but that’s the way I like it.

The car in that vid definitely has cats. Mine does not. I’d prefer to find vids of 4.6 cars without cats

Anything is gonna be loud, so I think I may just buy new Pype Bombs and save some money. I’ve got them on now, but they’re old and the reaontors inside rattle and buzz like hell.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
So what do you guys think? Buy new Pype Bombs? Are the Corsas really worth double the price when they will be just as loud?

Not worried about drone, I rarely cruise around below 2200-2400rpm. Initially, I considered the drone factor (for Corsa) because my wife hated the current sound. But she is getting used to it

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Seems interest is low on this topic LOL,, but I’ve decided to stick with Pype Bombs, in black this time, and add M80s before the axle.

Just gotta find a good muffler/exhaust shop local. It’s a simple cut and weld, but need it done right

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
I’ve tried a few different axle backs and the Corsa Sport is what I ended up with and will be the only axle back I use with future cars. They really sound great.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Perhaps interest is low on this topic, due that the thread topic has been resurrected back from the dead time and time again. I'm actually surprised that nobody has suggested searching the sub-forums LOL.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back