Best Wax

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
You can use both if you like. If youre going to a car show throw a coat of wax on top of the sealant for that wet/deep look.

But if youre just more concerned about protection synthetic sealants give a nice reflective look, and some have anti statis properties. Blackfire has been a very popular 1 step sealant.

This is the product right?
http://www.amazon.com/BLACKFIRE-Diamond-Metal-Sealant-16oz/dp/B003KWIOA8
Also, could you recommand me some good polish for its money?

I should go wash -> clay -> dry -> polish -> then sealant right?
Sorry I'm a such a newb but we all gotta start from somewhere lol
And thank you so much, this thread should be a sticky..So much good info.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
One man's sealant is another man's wax. Sealant, polish, glaze, wax...there are no hard definitions for any of these. And what one brand calls a polish, another brand would call a wax or visa versa.

Read this - http://mshanecrowe.wordpress.com/2006/07/01/compounds-polish-and-glazes-oh-my/

I wrote that years ago after trying to figure this stuff out. I explain somethings there and link some sources for other references.

There are some updates to that here...

http://mshanecrowe.wordpress.com/tag/car-care/

But I've not yet written anything about my current favorite products - Zaino.

Thanks for the link! Lots of informations.
That was some good reads.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
A polish is an abrasive which is used to clear I.prefections. A sealant is a synthetic and/or polymers protectant. A wax is a carnauba/oil based product. That is the true definition.

Tib02

forum member
Reaction score
After reading through a few posts, I will probably be using NXT 2.0 for my next detail.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
After reading through a few posts, I will probably be using NXT 2.0 for my next detail.

BlackFire Wet Diamond is far superior to NXT, and I'm a Meguiar's nut, but the truth is the truth, BFWD is way better.

It's a show sealant so it has a better appearance and not to mention that it lasts WAY longer than the NXT. The price is not enough more to even consider a difference in value when you figure in the length of time of protection of the BFWD vs. the NXT.

A polish is an abrasive which is used to clear I.prefections. A sealant is a synthetic and/or polymers protectant. A wax is a carnauba/oil based product. That is the true definition.

Yes^^^^^^^^, Period!!

People are just wrong when they refer to as one product being a wax but it really is a sealant.

Ignorance is bliss, and +100

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
One man's sealant is another man's wax. Sealant, polish, glaze, wax...there are no hard definitions for any of these. And what one brand calls a polish, another brand would call a wax or visa versa.

Read this - http://mshanecrowe.wordpress.com/2006/07/01/compounds-polish-and-glazes-oh-my/

I wrote that years ago after trying to figure this stuff out. I explain somethings there and link some sources for other references.

There are some updates to that here...

http://mshanecrowe.wordpress.com/tag/car-care/

But I've not yet written anything about my current favorite products - Zaino.

Sorry, but I disagree with this and your article. You're not correct on your terminology and your statements. You're favorite "wax" is not even a "wax" for one thing. You're making statements on things that you obviously do not understand to the level to be writing about.

And the jury is not still out on clay, any professional detailer knows that Claying a car is a necessary step to a proper finish.

A sealant and a wax are not interchangeable terms. There are huge differences to someone who knows about detailing cars.

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
A sealant and a wax are not interchangeable terms. There are huge differences to someone who knows about detailing cars.

I don't know much about detailing cars but I know there's a difference. There might not be one in common everyday use because people throw around the term loosely. It's just like how people always use "CV" and "Resume" intechangeably. They are definitely NOT the same thing but everyone assumes they are and uses it so.

On that note, DKS, have you ever used Klasse Sealant Glaze? I just got a bottle of it and I'm told it's supposed to be awesome and it's supposed to create some sort of acrylic protection on the car that lasts months and months. However, I'm having trouble applying it. It literally has the consistency of water.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I don't know much about detailing cars but I know there's a difference. There might not be one in common everyday use because people throw around the term loosely. It's just like how people always use "CV" and "Resume" intechangeably. They are definitely NOT the same thing but everyone assumes they are and uses it so.

On that note, DKS, have you ever used Klasse Sealant Glaze? I just got a bottle of it and I'm told it's supposed to be awesome and it's supposed to create some sort of acrylic protection on the car that lasts months and months. However, I'm having trouble applying it. It literally has the consistency of water.

Nope never tried it, but let us know how it works out for you.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Nope never tried it, but let us know how it works out for you.

I got it a while back. I find it hard to apply. It requires you to put on a very very thin coat, otherwise, it's very difficult to wipe off once it dries.

It does give that mirror shine though.

Do you have a 100% carnauba wax you recommend DKS? I'd like something that isn't so expensive I can't use it on a regular basis but it also has to be pure carnauba, no cleaners or anything.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I got it a while back. I find it hard to apply. It requires you to put on a very very thin coat, otherwise, it's very difficult to wipe off once it dries.

It does give that mirror shine though.

Do you have a 100% carnauba wax you recommend DKS? I'd like something that isn't so expensive I can't use it on a regular basis but it also has to be pure carnauba, no cleaners or anything.

I know you don't mean it this way, but just to clarify for anyone else reading, there really is not a wax out there that is made of 100% carnauba. It all is just a blend of different things, some have more carnauba than others, etc.

But to answer your question, I like Natty's Blue for the money. It's just a wax, no cleaners, etc. It's $25 and it's super easy to apply and remove. It's hard to pick a perfect wax, but if you're not trying to spend much money you can't hardly beat the value of it.

They are now making it in a liquid as well. I've not tried it yet since I like the paste and like to wax my hand. Natty's red is also a good choice for the money.

They don't have a high wax content, which is why they are so easy to apply and remove, but with a couple of coats you can get a very nice shine out of them.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I know you don't mean it this way, but just to clarify for anyone else reading, there really is not a wax out there that is made of 100% carnauba. It all is just a blend of different things, some have more carnauba than others, etc.

But to answer your question, I like Natty's Blue for the money. It's just a wax, no cleaners, etc. It's $25 and it's super easy to apply and remove. It's hard to pick a perfect wax, but if you're not trying to spend much money you can't hardly beat the value of it.

They are now making it in a liquid as well. I've not tried it yet since I like the paste and like to wax my hand. Natty's red is also a good choice for the money.

They don't have a high wax content, which is why they are so easy to apply and remove, but with a couple of coats you can get a very nice shine out of them.

Would you say they are noticeably better than, say, Meguiar's gold class wax?

Also, I was wondering what product you recommend to hide minor swirls. Yes, I know I should really buff them out instead of trying to mask them (and there's some debate whether that even works or not), but I just don't have the tools for that.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Meguiars does not make a 100% carnauba wax. Very few companies do. P21S is one of them. Zymol, Swissvax, Dodo Juice etc.

Remember Carnauba does not make the car shine more, just adds to the waxes durability.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Would you say they are noticeably better than, say, Meguiar's gold class wax?

Also, I was wondering what product you recommend to hide minor swirls. Yes, I know I should really buff them out instead of trying to mask them (and there's some debate whether that even works or not), but I just don't have the tools for that.

-Products that hide swirls and protect are known as AIO's.

-Meguiars NXT 2.0 is considered to be an AIO like product. Since it hides swirls, when it wears off, the swirls come back.

-If you plan on doing a two step i.e. "hide" then protect, you want a product called a Glaze, which goes on prior to your top coat protectant. Bare in mind, a lot of sealants do not bond to Glazes.

-Although Chemical guys makes a line of "glazes" that bonds to sealants

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
This is the product right?
http://www.amazon.com/BLACKFIRE-Diamond-Metal-Sealant-16oz/dp/B003KWIOA8
Also, could you recommand me some good polish for its money?

I should go wash -> clay -> dry -> polish -> then sealant right?
Sorry I'm a such a newb but we all gotta start from somewhere lol
And thank you so much, this thread should be a sticky..So much good info.

I like to wash > clay > wash > dry > polish (many steps, including jeweling). I sometimes skip sealing, and goto show glazing, then a Carnauba, If I'm prepping for a show. If I'm prepping for DD'ing I skip the glaze, go right to a sealant, and top with a Wax.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

Little known fact, most waxes have a mixture of paraffin and candellila in them too.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score

-Meguiars NXT 2.0 is considered to be an AIO like product. Since it hides swirls, when it wears off, the swirls come back.

-If you plan on doing a two step i.e. "hide" then protect, you want a product called a Glaze, which goes on prior to your top coat protectant. Bare in mind, a lot of sealants do not bond to Glazes.

I bought some of the NXT 2.0 for my daily driver and it looked great when first applied, but now the NXT is wearing off at about a month. What do you recommend that I use over the NXT to prolong it? Should I apply the NXT and/or a top coat product with an orbital? I have been experimenting on my daily driver before I do anything to my Mustang.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Meguiars does not make a 100% carnauba wax. Very few companies do. P21S is one of them. Zymol, Swissvax, Dodo Juice etc.

Remember Carnauba does not make the car shine more, just adds to the waxes durability.

And again, just to clarify, Seer means that the wax content of the product is made up of 100% Carnauba, not that the entire product is just one big container of Carnauba wax.

The more wax content, the longer it lasts, and the harder it is to apply and remove. If it were 100% carnauba it would be impossible to even use the product.

Blackfire Wet Diamond also works this way to hide swirls to some degree. It's not a miracle, though. It's not going to hide anything major by any means.

I like to wash > clay > wash > dry > polish (many steps, including jeweling). I sometimes skip sealing, and goto show glazing, then a Carnauba, If I'm prepping for a show. If I'm prepping for DD'ing I skip the glaze, go right to a sealant, and top with a Wax.

Minus the Glaze, that's pretty much how I do it. On my older Jeep I don't ever use wax, I just keep it sealed, but on my newer Jeep I'll be using sealant and wax since it's black.

Little known fact, most waxes have a mixture of paraffin and candellila in them too.

And heroin, lol

I bought some of the NXT 2.0 for my daily driver and it looked great when first applied, but now the NXT is wearing off at about a month. What do you recommend that I use over the NXT to prolong it? Should I apply the NXT and/or a top coat product with an orbital? I have been experimenting on my daily driver before I do anything to my Mustang.

I always apply sealant with a DA using a blue or black (or a crimson hydrotech pad) It let's you do a thin even coat.

But seriously, try the BFWD, it's going to be much better than the NXT. And you can do multiple coats of either to achieve better results, just remember to let is cure overnight before you put on the second coat.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

NXT isn't a long lasting sealant. If you like the look, go with something like Blackfire or Jet Seal. You also can't layer NXT 2.0 since it has cleaners. It essentially removes the application below it when you re-apply.

Meguiars is a volume based detailing supply company. They have little to no incentive to build a product that lasts months or cost more than $20 or so.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
And again, just to clarify, Seer means that the wax content of the product is made up of 100% Carnauba, not that the entire product is just one big container of Carnauba wax.

The more wax content, the longer it lasts, and the harder it is to apply and remove. If it were 100% carnauba it would be impossible to even use the product.

Yea, most high end waxes are only reaching around 33-36% wax content. Rest is solvents and oils.

Waxes like say Zymol Vintage that boasts a 73% Carnauba content rating means, that 73% of it's wax weight is Carnauba. It's actually sitting around 35% wax by total weight.

Back