Best Wax

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Question about the Ice Water trick, can I do this when just polishing? Or can I do it after polishing and after waxing, both? I like's a shine!

LMK please.

Edit: Nevermind, I found THIS. No freaking way I'm going through all those foam applicators and microfiber towels!:screw:

F that! Mines shiney enough!

It makes it almost glow,not just shine. It's not for everyone, but the procedure works really really well with the high end carnaubas. It's great if you're prepping for a big show. :D

Only difference is, I don't use applicators, I wax with my bare hands if I'm using a Zymol.

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Other than the excessive amount of coats is the rest of that procedure correct?

It's similar. I spray the body panel with it, then apply by bare hand (most zymols and swissvax's can be done this way).

Then I mist the panel again when removing the wax. I do in fact go over the car a few times like this. The shimmer it gives off is pretty amazing.

I dont like how he says "throw away the MF towel" Ya, you need to use a lot of them, but I don't throw them away, I just wash them. Hope he was suggesting the same. Although I have about 300 MF towels at home. Chemical Guys usually has specials on packs of 25, good plush ones.

Blacksmoke

forum member
Reaction score
8 coats of wax is actually a waste of wax.
Hate to break it to ya.

Want a GREAT wax that last 5 mo. no joking?
Collinite's No. 845

You apply it so thin that you think it's almost not even on.
Too much makes it hard to work in.
But the stuff is awesome!

G Wrecks

5 Liter Camaro Eater
Reaction score
I used to manage a hand car wash a few years ago and I personally preferred the Zymol carbon based wax. I kept it refrigerated, and it was advertised to me as a 6 month wax. It leaves the surface of any car so smooth that if you were to put a microfiber towel on any surface that wasn't completely flat, the towel would slide off. GREAT STUFF!

EDIT: Here's a link http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3063A0A0.aspx

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
8 coats of wax is actually a waste of wax.
Hate to break it to ya.

Want a GREAT wax that last 5 mo. no joking?
Collinite's No. 845

You apply it so thin that you think it's almost not even on.
Too much makes it hard to work in.
But the stuff is awesome!

845 lasts a great while, but cant compare to the concours waxes in appearance.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what you have to say about this. How do you feel about the pricing difference between a $200 wax and a $2000 wax? I've never been that impressed that I felt the huge increase in cost was justifiable to myself.

Hell, M#16 is still one of my favorite waxes. It doesn't do anything the 'best' but it does everything pretty damn well and the durability is very impressive. That's not a very expensive wax, either.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what you have to say about this. How do you feel about the pricing difference between a $200 wax and a $2000 wax? I've never been that impressed that I felt the huge increase in cost was justifiable to myself.

Hell, M#16 is still one of my favorite waxes. It doesn't do anything the 'best' but it does everything pretty damn well and the durability is very impressive. That's not a very expensive wax, either.

Eh, a lot of the cost in the Zymols and Swissvaxs are they are all hand made waxes using natural ingredients. Are they better than most waxes out there? Well thats up to the user. I can say this, you put two identical cars with the same paint job, same prep etc.

One uses an OTC or even a mass produced boutique, and the other using a higher end concours wax. The Concours car will win the show.

But where it breaks down to is this, the Zymols and Swissvaxs typically have 2-3x the carnauba content as most boutique and OTC waxes. This increases their durability tremendously, you will typically get your coats lasting 40-50% longer (zymol and swissvaxes typically last slightly less than most sealants). They also use natural essential oils for a deeper, crisper, wetter look. Are they worth their cost? That's up to you.

At roughly $2000 Zymol Vintage to me was a good deal. Comes in a presentable beautiful crystal jar, and its refillable for my life time, and can be willed to anyone upon my death. Over my life time, it comes out to be most likely around $50/jar + the small refill shipment fee. Is it for everyone? Of course not, but I'm an anal detailer hobbyist. You look at my car at a car show, and you most likely will need to have your nose to the paint with a magnifying glass to find defects.

Now, how do I feel say comparing Zymol Concours ($200, very very reasonable for its results) vs Zymol Vintage ($2000 + free refills for my life).

Vintage is obviously a better wax, it has more of a glow to it, it's deeper, looks wetter, and lasts longer. If you're a detailing fanatic who uses products like say Dodo juice supernatural, Zymol vintage, Pinnacle Souveran etc and do a panel on your car with say Vintage or even Concours, you'll be looking into how to fit those waxes into your budget shortly :D

Remember 90% of your cars appearance is in it's finish, its that extra 10% for the LSP is what sets them off though.

Last edited:

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eh, a lot of the cost in the Zymols and Swissvaxs are they are all hand made waxes using natural ingredients. Are they better than most waxes out there? Well thats up to the user. I can say this, you put two identical cars with the same paint job, same prep etc.

One uses an OTC or even a mass produced boutique, and the other using a higher end concours wax. The Concours car will win the show.

But where it breaks down to is this, the Zymols and Swissvaxs typically have 2-3x the carnauba content as most boutique and OTC waxes. This increases their durability tremendously, you will typically get your coats lasting 40-50% longer (zymol and swissvaxes typically last slightly less than most sealants). They also use natural essential oils for a deeper, crisper, wetter look. Are they worth their cost? That's up to you.

At roughly $2000 Zymol Vintage to me was a good deal. Comes in a presentable beautiful crystal jar, and its refillable for my life time, and can be willed to anyone upon my death. Over my life time, it comes out to be most likely around $50/jar + the small refill shipment fee. Is it for everyone? Of course not, but I'm an anal detailer hobbyist. You look at my car at a car show, and you most likely will need to have your nose to the paint with a magnifying glass to find defects.

Now, how do I feel say comparing Zymol Concours ($200, very very reasonable for its results) vs Zymol Vintage ($2000 + free refills for my life).

Vintage is obviously a better wax, it has more of a glow to it, it's deeper, looks wetter, and lasts longer. If you're a detailing fanatic who uses products like say Dodo juice supernatural, Zymol vintage, Pinnacle Souveran etc and do a panel on your car with say Vintage or even Concours, you'll be looking into how to fit those waxes into your budget shortly :D

Remember 90% of your cars appearance is in it's finish, its that extra 10% for the LSP is what sets them off though.

I recently bought Pinnacle Souveran and was thinking about putting over Zaino. My thought was the Zaino would give me better protection and the Souveran will give me the wet look I am looking for. Do you think I would be better off going without the Zaino coat before the Souveran? Before and sealant or wax is put on the car will be polished with M205 to remove any minor scratches.

TIA

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I recently bought Pinnacle Souveran and was thinking about putting over Zaino. My thought was the Zaino would give me better protection and the Souveran will give me the wet look I am looking for. Do you think I would be better off going without the Zaino coat before the Souveran? Before and sealant or wax is put on the car will be polished with M205 to remove any minor scratches.

TIA

Souveran is a nice wax, but imo there are better out there for less money. Look into Adam's Americana. You will love the results though topping Zaino with a Carnauba wax, you will gain back that wet deep look. Souveran is very oily in nature and tends to not last very long vs other Carnaubas. Getting a month out of Souveran imo is lucky.

Personally, and this is just my opinion. Save up and put the extra cash into your budget, and shell out the $200 for Zymol Concours, or Swissvax Concorso. I know $200 for a jar of wax maybe hard to swallow, but they do IMO produce better results than the sub $100 waxes. Keep in mind, these waxes like to be applied with your bare hands.

The low end Zymol and Swissvax are hybrid white(micronesed) and Yellow Carnaubas (whereas most boutique waxes or either a Yellow or a synthetic ivory). The more you can bleach the carnauba into a purer white, the more clarity you have. Remember by nature carnauba is a cloudy, dull, brittle wax. Removing its impurities aids in removing the cloudiness of it. Having more carnauba content (which is a marketing point for high end waxes) does not aid in the shine of your car, but it does affect how its durability is. It's those natural oils is what gives these concours waxes their pop!

Last edited:

shanec

forum member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Zaino. I've been using it for a couple of years. You'll have to study their website. It is unusual stuff and there is a learning curve.

Z-5 is awesome on dark cars, especially black. Makes the color really pop.

Z-2 is what they promote the most over there. Z-2 will make the finish extremely reflective. It can make a dark car look like a living HDR photo.

Personally, I like putting on 2 coats of Z-5 and one coat of Z-2. I hit it with those 3 coats just once a year and also follow that with Z-CS which makes it very long lasting. Other than that, once in a blue moon throughout the hear I might hit it with one coat of Z-5 or Z-2, but that's it.

...oh, an I also put on Z-6 between coats simply to remove any residue I missed from the previous coat.

The Z-6 detail spray is pretty amazing as well - as it their more expensive Z-8 detail spray which is like Z-6 on steroids. And the finish from Z-8 is longer lasting than Z-6. I always use either Z-6 or Z-8 after washing & drying. Makes the car look like it was just polished.

I don't doubt the other good brands look as good at Zaino. But I am REALLY up on Zaino based on the look and especially how long the finish lasts. You can really get by with putting on a few coats + Z-CS just once/year and then detail spray the car after each wash & dry.

Last edited:

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Guys, I didn't want to make separate thread so I'm just gonna ask here. Hope you guys don't mind.

I'm a detailing newb and is just learning about it on internet.
I was told that for the car thats parked outside all the time it is better to use sealant than wax because sealant attracts less dust and dirt. Is that right? My car is parked outside 24/7 and gets dirty within 2~3days after carwash.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Guys, I didn't want to make separate thread so I'm just gonna ask here. Hope you guys don't mind.

I was told that for the car thats parked outside all the time it is better to use sealant than wax because sealant attracts less dust and dirt. Is that right? My car is parked outside 24/7 and gets dirty within 2~3days after carwash.

You can use both if you like. If youre going to a car show throw a coat of wax on top of the sealant for that wet/deep look.

But if youre just more concerned about protection synthetic sealants give a nice reflective look, and some have anti statis properties. Blackfire has been a very popular 1 step sealant.

shanec

forum member
Reaction score

One man's sealant is another man's wax. Sealant, polish, glaze, wax...there are no hard definitions for any of these. And what one brand calls a polish, another brand would call a wax or visa versa.

Read this - http://mshanecrowe.wordpress.com/2006/07/01/compounds-polish-and-glazes-oh-my/

I wrote that years ago after trying to figure this stuff out. I explain somethings there and link some sources for other references.

There are some updates to that here...

http://mshanecrowe.wordpress.com/tag/car-care/

But I've not yet written anything about my current favorite products - Zaino.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back