Blew up my motor last night :(

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, sorry to hear about your motor. I would start shopping for a decent mileage GT500. That's the route I want to go when my motor lets go.

Razorbed

forum member
Reaction score
Throw the stock engine in, enjoy another few years of fun while building an engine or
waiting for a good deal on one.

Hotrodtinker

Sandwich Ninja
Reaction score
Whoa! Sorry to hear about that bro! At least it happened while you were out having fun? My personal suggestion is to sell the turbo kit to someone on here and buy yourself a GT500 (you deserve it! :wink:). I dont know? Maybe someone in Oregon? Maybe they have a beat up 06 Redfire GT? Who knows? :whistle1:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Like I said, I'd rather get like a 13 GT. But I'd prob rather get a GT500 over a 13 GT.

Doesn't make sense. You have a paid for car. Part the engine and driveline out and build something much more amazing without the weight.

Get a Coyote truck motor, build the shortblock.
Use a controls pack ECU with a nice power adder.
Stick a good powerglide or TH400 trans behind it.
Have fun.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
doh

Maybe I had a cached version of that page a few minutes ago. My bad.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the engine let go. Haven't had that happen yet myself and definitely do not look forward to that possible eventuality.

Lot of choices including keeping the car and building it. Take your time on the decision. It is a big one.

I'm in no rush, I just dont want to do what my roommate did with his fox. Its just be sitting in his driveway for years, engineless. It looks like crap now.

Sorry to hear and thanks for the comments.

Lottery tickets got you. The ones that I've already had this conversation with know what I mean.

Quite probably! :321: lol.

I won the lottery, yes! Its funny, on the way back into the track after towing the GT out, the driver was telling the ladys at the front "ya, he was the first one down and first one to blow". My response was " Yup, first for everything, what did i win!?" Lol

Damn wish I was there to see it.

I have it on video...:clap:

Damn, sorry to hear about your motor. I would start shopping for a decent mileage GT500. That's the route I want to go when my motor lets go.

Ya, its going to be a tuff call.

Whoa! Sorry to hear about that bro! At least it happened while you were out having fun? My personal suggestion is to sell the turbo kit to someone on here and buy yourself a GT500 (you deserve it! :wink:). I dont know? Maybe someone in Oregon? Maybe they have a beat up 06 Redfire GT? Who knows? :whistle1:

The turbo was going bad, so if I do part it, it would be the kit minus the turbo (which is good because the on3 turbo SUCKS!)

Doesn't make sense. You have a paid for car. Part the engine and driveline out and build something much more amazing without the weight.

Get a Coyote truck motor, build the shortblock.
Use a controls pack ECU with a nice power adder.
Stick a good powerglide or TH400 trans behind it.
Have fun.

It currently has a TR6060. If I do keep it, I already have a stock 3v motor and bnib forged internals. I would just go that route. Not that your route is bad and would be big power.

doh

Maybe I had a cached version of that page a few minutes ago. My bad.

I already have a spare 3v motor, turbo cams, forged internals if I decide to keep it. But thats for the heads up.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
So where's the vid? Lol

What did ya win?

Yea my car hasn't driven since Nov, originally coolant leak I didn't have time to fix, then engine noise. Been in garage all but 3 weeks or so

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So where's the vid? Lol

What did ya win?

Yea my car hasn't driven since Nov, originally coolant leak I didn't have time to fix, then engine noise. Been in garage all but 3 weeks or so

I won the paper weight now sitting under my hood! Jealous?

Video will come later. My buddy was nice enough to take a look while I'm at work. He used a miniscope for some pictures.

2016-03-10-15-34-56_zpssr0chenq.png

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing some duct tape and JB weld can't fix

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
When I had mine it blew up on the dyno never even got to drive it after procharger install lol and was deployed so when I called home I was told it blew up lol

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Damn that would suck
Did they come up with a reason why?

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I had mine it blew up on the dyno never even got to drive it after procharger install lol and was deployed so when I called home I was told it blew up lol

That sucks! I had years of fun with mine.

Damn that would suck

My guess would be the following:

1.) To much boost

2.) To much power

3.) It's a stock motor

4.) All the above

Lol, no, I don't know the technical reason but I knew the game I was playing.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
117k miles, countless passes, I say put a stock engine back in without the turbo and sell it. Like you said you could get a 2013 5.0, get that. Much cheaper overall and no headache wiring harness swap. Plus put too much money into it and gets totaled insurance won't pay what you put into it due to age and milage.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The cleanest 2009 GT500 anywhere is available for sale for $34,900 in northern NY, 3k miles on it, upgraded supercharger, MGW shifter, all kinds of other tasteful mods and spare parts.
LINK

#justsayin' ;)

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm tempted to buy that car, such a deal

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Dude has a stock engine sitting there with forged internals ready to go in. Seems like a no brainer to me. Unless you like throwing money away. Put it together and enjoy it.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Damn that would suck

I wrote this today for another customer's email:

"Problems with these engines are the rods as you may know, don't believe on the "450rwhp limit" spread on the internet, things are never that specific, it all requires is ONE rod saying enough is enough.

I try to explain this thru a lottery ticket system, when you get a car you have a chance for it to blow into pieces while stock, very very tiny small nowadays but it is still there, when you start modding you start getting more and more tickets for the kaboom lottery, the higher internal pressure, more tickets, the more RPM, even more tickets. There is people with 500+ cars that has been lucky, others with way way less, not so much."

Now, the issue is not boost, you could do with a lot of boost without issues, as long as you do things right, cylinder pressure+RPM is what kills the rods, mileage has a saying too, is a combination of stuff, if you add some knocking to the mix, that will kill it quite fast as you add big cylinder pressure peaks over the already too big of a pressure for such design/material/construction.

But again, there are 8 of them, one that decides enough is enough and bye bye, is a risk you take when you mod your car.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea that's why I'm building my block now

Been making a noise that sounds real ugly and rather just make it safe rather than maybe last till when I wanna build next time

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back