bout to install my hurst need help

adamstang

forum member
Reaction score
is it pretty self explanatory? i couldnt find a diy, wondering if it were for that reason. putting it in in the next 30 mins so help would be nice

1FastS197

Reaction score
pretty easy install, just gotta pull the driveshaft loose at the tranny... two 10mm bolts hold the shifter to the body of the car, one 12mm bolt holds the shifter arm up by the transmission and you will have 2 bushings that are holding the trasmission arm to the shifter... not sure no a hurst but my steeda had different ones...

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The driveshaft doesn't need to be dropped.

chozen1

Reaction score
Hey man I just installed my hurst shifter this last weekend. Follow these directions on this website. They give you pictures to follow as well as basic straight forward directions. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02/HurstShifter/index.php
You dont have to drop the drive shaft as said above. The bolts all come out and you pull the old linkage up through the console hole and drop the new linkage down through console hole. The Hurst instructions are a bit confusing, in one spot it says to rotate the linkage to the passenger side and then it refers you to a figure which tells you to rotate it to the drivers side. I went the wrong way and it in backwards for a full day before I figured it out. The shift lever was off centered when I did this. One bolt drop and a rotate corrected the issue. So just follow the directions above and the pictures and you should be done in 30 minutes. Make sure and use loctite on all the bolts and white Lithium grease when installing the little bushings. If you have questions just holler at me.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
He may have already installed it but here goes...

the only tough bolt was the one closest to the bell housing on my 2010 model.

That's correct. Once this bolt seems to be all the way out and there is no more room in the trans tunnel to go, give the shifter a good wiggle left to right. The bolt will make its way out. I would remove this bolt last so that it gives you maximum movement. Be patient fishing it out of the tunnel, it will come out of there.

Don't forget to protect your console. You'll be pissed if you rake the shifter handle across it.

Gerardo

Tylus

Bullitt #6451
Reaction score
did you get it installed?

that damn forward bolt kicked my behind for about 2 hours. The drive tunnel sound deadening material got in the way and I had to cut out a square of it to make room for the bolt removal and installation.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
you may not HAVE to drop the d/s but i know when i did it made the installation of my shifter go much more smoother.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Don't skip the loctite step...don't want the bolt working loose on you while on the road.

yeah i had a huge fiasco with the bolt backing out on mine, had to have the car towed back to the shop and was down for a few days as the bolt broke in half after they tried tightening it.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Pretty easy install. You don't need to drop the driveshaft. You can pull it out through the top like stated above. But install in whatever manor you feel is easier. Goodluck with the install.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back