Brembo Upgrade to 2014 Base Mustang GT

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I just completed a Brembo Upgrade to my Base Mustang GT. It was really a self made kit from both RockAuto and Amazon. I had the Base wheels so I used a 20mm spacer in the front. None is need in the back. In the end, I just need a 17mm spacer on the front. I do have Brembo 19 inch wheels in the basement that I might buy tires for later. I am not sure I like these spacers. Parts in all were $550 and I had them professionally installed for $250. All 4 wheels were done with GT500 Rotors in the back.

So with that I have a few technical questions if I decided to use my 19 inch Brembo Wheels.

brake6.jpg

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
My hand built kit from Rock Auto and Amazon. Rock Auto supplied the Raybestos stuff. Amazon supplied the knockoff calipers and rear caliper adaptor for the GT500 rotors. Total cost was $550. Because the Mustang had very low miles, I decided not to replace the brake lines.

brake9.jpg

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Well yes there is. I was going to also install a premium cluster and one of the reprograming inputs is an "AS Built" value for the ABS. It seems each brake option even with 6cyls have this value. It took about 300 miles to fully bed in this new brake setup. At first it was no better then standard brakes. After 300 miles, its now that I can feel a big difference worth the money. One thing I notice is the back brakes get very hot to the touch and the fronts are just very warm after driving for about 30 minutes. It was said to me the ABS works all the time using back brakes to stable the car. In other words, to prevent it from going sideways when the tires might be ready to slip. Anyone ever heard of this?

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Second question. I rescued these Brembo wheels from the scrap heap at a junkyard for almost scrap price. They are heavy at 32 lbs and Aluminum is going for more then a dollar a pound. They look to be factory powder coated. An option within a option? They also looked a mess but with a good high pressure wash, they now look like new. It seems brake dust sticks to powder coat and there has been several write-ups about that. I am trying to figure out what tires to buy for these. They came with 255/40/19 at 27 inches tall. Base is 235/50/18 at 27.3 inches tall and I now have 255/45/18s at 27 inches tall. What are the biggest tires I can fit and still keep the ABS system happy?

DSC_0162.JPG

Last edited:

DieHarder

Reaction score
I don't think the ABS cares..... Recommend you go with stock size - 255/40/19. The best part about these rims is they'll fit the Brembo's without spacers.

xeninworx

Reaction score
Nice. I’m in the process of getting the parts for my own Brembo swap on my 2014 V6. Got used 4 piston Brembos which I’ll repaint and just got new rear rotors. Waiting on the price to go down on front rotors on Amazon. Will also pickup Boss 302 brake lines from Amazon and pads will be from Rockauto.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I purchased from Rock Auto, Raybestos Special Duty rust protected front Rotor 680497 for $38 each and Raybestos Race Rotor 68099OR on sale special for $15 each. That was most likely a mistake by me as the back rotors are not protected from rust. The 680990 without the R is the real mate to the front rotor but they were also $38 each. The race rotors are about the same spec but it's expected they will be trash in a few races going from 150mph to 40mph three or for times a lap. So the rotors do not get a chance to rust. The pads were MGD1050M fronts and MGD1082CH backs. They are a mid grade pad for street use and better then the SG standard grade versions. Pads Rotors and Shipping was a little under $200. Then another $200 for the Calipers on Amazon quick ship. Hell of a deal as no core needed. Then $100 for the back adaptors and $50 for the 20mm spacers. After all said and done, I could have used 17mm spacers and might even work with 15mm spacers at the very minimum clearance of 3.5mm.

Last edited:

xeninworx

Reaction score
I’m going with Centric semi-metallic pads and I got Centric rotors with the black ecoating. I don’t track the car but want more bite. Don’t care for ceramics. Would have done the rear brake upgrade too for a larger rotor but useless for daily driving. For tracking, definitely worth it.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Well for some reason, the backs get more of a workout just driving around or so it seems. Also, it seems the computer wants to know if you have 6Cyl Brakes or Brembo Brakes or Standard Brakes. The line is "As Built" and the Track Pack Cluster wants to know. The premium Track Pack cluster is also used on 6cyl with the Track Pack section turned off. It's one of my questions here. It seems the ABS uses the back brakes for Stabilization Control when driving or so it's been said. It's tied to a built in accelerator sensor.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Another issue with my very early build 2014 Mustang GT. A Boss PCM.

DSC_0165.JPG

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Well as I said, I found a set of very ugly looking black Brembo Wheels on a junk pile ready to be sold to a beer can manufacture. I got them for poundage which was $50 for each 32 lb wheel. After the transaction, the guy that sold them to me got into a fight with another guy at the yard saying I had to pay more money. Some junkyard people are meaner then their dogs. The wheels cleaned up like new with a 2700lbs high pressure washer with soap feed. Anyway, on Ebay there are two types of 19 inch tires. The under $100 each China tires including shipping and then the good old Big Brand Name $300 each plus tires. These cheap China tires look great and some can be less then $70 each including shipping. Anyone try these? One name is Lionheart tires.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Not a tire expert but you can also run 255/45/19. That should open some options for you. Pirelli, Firestone, General, Continental, Goodyear, Yokohama, Michelin.

I don't have any experience with the cheap China tires. I just usually go with the mantra of you get what you pay for. That brings up a question however. Given that you just upgraded to Brembo's why would you trust cheap China tires?

BTW, I did the same thing on my car (upgraded to Brembo's). Only suggestion I would make is to upgrade the brake lines to steel braided. You'll get better feel and peace of mind from the change.

Hope the wheels work out. As long as they're the same dimensions as original they should fit the Brembo's without spacers.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I am just asking about Cheap China Tires. One thing for sure, the same yard I got the wheels wanted $300 for well worn Goodyears. Then another $50 to mound and balance. My guess is they were 5/32 jobs. So would new China tires be better the well worn Goodyears? Then of course why am I trusting cheap knockoff China Brembos made from old beer cans. All that Raybestos stuff from RockAuto was also made in China. The Ford stuff that came off was all made in Brazil.

Last edited:

DieHarder

Reaction score
Well, I've seen several examples of new tires on ebay around $135 - 172/tire in that size. I usually just take those prices to a place that'll price match like Discount Tire. Of course they're going to add on mounting but it's usually reasonable $20/tire and they'll try to sell you all of the other goodies which I don't buy.

Agree, stay away from used tires as well.

Maybe someone else can speak up for reasonably priced Chinese tires?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have had good experience with Milestar branded tires on the wife's car. On my 3rd set. But those maybe Korean tires. Very good IMO in rain and even snow.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Thanks. I am only thinking that cheap new tires on Ebay are from China. Then there has been a few Craigslist new tires with will known brand names but have 2013 build dates going cheap. One very fancy Michelin set two each 235/40/19 and 295/35/19 for $300 with new tags but they are 10 years old. I am not sure the back two would fit. I hear 285 is the max and 275 is right on with flush to the fenders. I never got into how old the junkyard set was. One look at the 5/32 tread said I was not interested.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The are many tire and wheel threads on here talking about size of tire! Many factors to look at. Gearing you have, what are your plans for use, do you have a tuner to change wheel size, is the car getting or already lowered?

That being said, stay the hell away from used tire and spend 200 more and buy some great tires. Not sure why one would want to buy a cheap ass china Ebay tires and yet install a larger brake kit for added stopping power. That's like drinking koolaid without the sugar! Whats the point?

Indy 500 buy Firestone is being run by a ton of people here, excellent tire and very inexpensive. Size, I mean Gabe is/was running 305's out back, same car. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THEM?

Do yourself a favor and take those rims somewhere reputable and have them balanced without a tire to see how much run out they may have! You can thank me later for that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Mostly because most of the Big Brake stuff from both Rock Auto and Amazon was made in China. Only the rear aluminum caliper brackets were made in Florida. There is even questions about these aluminum brackets. So what's the story with these China tires? I do know the story with this Chinese Transmission in all the Mustangs. This company has an office in Detroit. At first they said they were part of BMW. Then they say Mercedes Benz.

aaatran2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Lots of stuff is made in China. This includes my Brembo Wheels. So why not Chinese tires with my Chinese Brembo wheels and Chinese Brembo brakes being pushed by my Chinese Mustang transmission?

.DSC_0178.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back