Broken Exhaust Stud Shop charging 400

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Those manifold to pipe studs are a bear. One of the nuts rounded off on me when I was installing BBK ceramic coated shorties. I had to use an angle grinder to cut the stud. [Don't use anything but a six-point impact socket on those nuts.] The head to manifold studs can also be a pain. A six-point socket might remove them, but the 12-point will ordinarily round them off. If the shop broke or rounded off the stud you might be able to jam two nuts together on the stud, and turn it off with the inside nut. That worked fairly well for me.
Once I had the manifolds out, the hardest part was cleaning the gasket surface. A Scotchbrite™ pad on an oscillating tool worked great.
I like my shorties. Hard to see any change in mileage or power, but the car runs great even in Michigan's winter. I also like that they keep under-hood temperatures down.
The ceramic coated shorties were expensive, but they might be cheaper for you at this point. Sorry to hear you had trouble with the shop.

FrankieD

Reaction score
Seems like the best option would be slicing the nut with a cut off wheel. I got mine cherry red and still didn't want to come off. As soon as it warms up a little that is what I am going to do.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
50% acetone + 50% automatic transmission fluid is far more effective vs WD-40, PB blaster etc.

I mixed up a very small batch, just to test the concept. It works damn good... vs the WD-40 and PB blaster I had on hand.

I used 100% synthetic ATF..... since I had 1/3 litre on the shelf.

Laga

Reaction score
50% acetone + 50% automatic transmission fluid is far more effective vs WD-40, PB blaster etc.

I mixed up a very small batch, just to test the concept. It works damn good... vs the WD-40 and PB blaster I had on hand.

I used 100% synthetic ATF..... since I had 1/3 litre on the shelf.
WD-40 is a solvent and not a lubricant.
I used the ATF & acetone as a pre-soak when I removed the 10 year old spark plugs from my 05. Didn’t break any.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back