Broken spark plug in head procedure.

Danie

Reaction score
I basically looked at a picture of the tool available on Ebay and then took measurements on the truck and reverse engineered it. It looks just like the professional ones you can buy.

This is a really good idea! My boyfriend is an engineer. Im going to see if he can make the tool for me so I can change out my plugs haha... Ford quoted my $350 to change them out. Insane since the whole breakage issue should be their responsibility. Im up to 65k on miles and do not know if the plugs were ever changed. Bought the car used. Im assuming that hey have been considering the milage but who knows.... Awesome idea though!

tripwyr71

forum member
Reaction score
Did mine over the weekend 28000 got car used. When I changed the delete plates they were pretty dirty so I knew the plugs were gonna be bad. Im guessing previous owner used ethanol instead of 91 cause my buddy thats always used 91 his motor is clean. Got them all out using Aerokroil and carb cleaner on the last one that we both thought was gonna break. The aerokroil seems to be a little thicker and didnt seem to creep past the threads very fast.
Any body want some plugs?? LOL

I put the Brisk ones in

Danie thats a good price I asked my local dealer and they told me $507 parts n labor

Danie

Reaction score
Wow! Seriously!? That's insane. It's sad that the consumer has to pay out so much when we shouldn't even have to deal with the issue in the first place. Swapping out plugs shouldn't be such an issue.

erat

forum member
Reaction score
Just did this on a 06 F150 with a 5.4 and 11900 mi. , MAN THAT SUCKED !

Got 1 out in one piece . Glad they came out with the tool to get the lower half out . On an f150 this sucked on the rear cylinders , but on a Mustang it should go smoother.

I tried the PB Blaster method last weekend and snapped two . I used the ford cleaner this weekend and followed the procedure and only was able to retrieve one in its entirety.

How successful were you at shoving in the remaining porcelain into the bottom of the grounding sleeve?

Last edited:

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Well after reading this thread and purchasing the kit, I pulled mine today...took me 2 hours to do. All came out in 1 piece. Mine had 57k on them.

Just take your time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NinjaKiwi84

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be doing mine soon. Def not wanting to pay for the tool unless I need it but I'm screwed if I don't have int on hand just in case...

eddypython

forum member
Reaction score
Well just wanted to throw my story in here. 50k on the dot I changed my plugs. Driver side plugs came out without a hitch. Used PB blaster after I got the engine Nice and hot. Left it soak over night. I broke the "tightness" a bit and let it soak some more ( re-stitched my steering wheel in the mean time lol )

Passanger side, not so lucky. ALL broke in the head. Had to use that Lisle tool which was a life saver. Moral of the story " wish I bought the damn tool ahead of time." $60 bucks and a week later it was fixed

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
I just did mine today and didn't buy the tool because I have another vehicle to drive if it did break.

After I got home she was nice and warmed up, let her sit 10 min so it wasn't hot, but very warm.

I took all the coil packs off, and sprayed each with CRC "Freeze Off" let it soak for 10 minutes, then used PB blaster for another 10 minutes.

They all came out without a hitch using the tighten slightly, then loosen method.

It's a coastal CA car with 65k miles.

GT300

Reaction score
Excellent thread. Ford quoted me $700 to change them and then $105 for every one that broke. I'm sorry but it seriously pisses me off when dealers try to screw people like that.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

chaoscentral

forum member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, took mine out at 60k when I did my Vortech and they all came out without a hitch and none breaking. Didn't soak in PB Blaster or anything either, just regular wrench & socket. I think it might be more of a problem in cars that tend to idle alot or do alot of city driving. I drive mostly highway, and tend to go WOT alot and there wasn't much if any carbon build up on the old plugs.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Great info. I just bought the tool for my install next week. Be looking for it in the classifieds in a couple of weeks. LOL

JMDavis

Reaction score
This is really a sad issue for all the mustang and F150 owners that fall into those troublesome years. I was a supervisor at Ford's customer relationship center not that long ago and we would get calls about this all day long. It's never going to be a recall because it's not "safety related" and Ford considers plugs a part or maintenance for your vehicle. All they recommend is to change them early and hope to god they don't break. Sometimes you'll find service manager at a dealer that's will to use some of his allotted funds to help you out, but only if you're a loyal customer and get all your maintenance and repairs done at the dealer. Like someone said earilyier on in this tread, the technical service bulletin or TSB is all that you're gonna get, which only tells the dealer that ford is aware of the issue and that there is no financial assistance provided to the customer for the repair. So buy the tool, change them early and I wish you the best of luck! Lol

Shawn Sexton

Reaction score
Just a thought

Wonder if you could use a rag over the plug hole and roll the engine over to pop out the broke off piece,
might not be the safest way, because it could fly out with some force.

robz

Reaction score
Just finished changing my plugs, all came out in one piece. Started yesterday evening by cracking each plug 1/8th of a turn and spraying in the prescribed amount of B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner. The car was still warm from being driven 5 hours earlier. I let the plugs soak overnight and then I started working them out, turning each plug in a sequence of 1/8 turn in, 1/4 turn out until they came all the way out. Installed new HT1's with anti seize on the shields, fired up and ran smooth. For reference this was on an '06 GT with 82,000 miles on it that has been run exclusively on chevron 91 octane and Mobil1.

6943793b.jpg

tbuff

forum member
Reaction score
Just did mine. let it soak for about 10 minutes, first two broke, then for the hell of it figured I would try an impact to get them out. worked them back and forth a couple times, then they all came right out unbroken.

robz

Reaction score
and this was the FIRST plug change???

Yep. Just did the plugs on my friends 'o5 today with 132,000 miles on it. As far as he knows the plugs haven't been changed and he is the original owner. I only let the plugs soak for 2.5 hours this time, and I think they came out even easier than mine because the carbon was still more "gooey" if you will:

8c0557a0.jpg

Bottom line; go slow, follow the procedure, and pay attention to detail and you will be fine.

CATNHAT

forum member
Reaction score
Subd! Im getting ready to do this. 05 with 29000 miles. Ordered the motorcraft SP514 gapped at .054. After reading the thread and the TSB Do you do this on a warm engine or room temp for best results?? Both are mentioned.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back