Broken spark plug in head procedure.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea should be it, Also check auto zone, last time I went they had it in their collection of tools to rent, shouldnt cost anything when returned.

Once you remove the OEM plugs and replace them with some new ones + antiseize you shouldnt have to have the tool anymore

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'll buy it since I've had many mustangs and will have many more. I'm just behind the curve and only getting to these engines now.

Cammed 05

Always happy
Reaction score
Do you have a 3/8 impact? If so use that to knock the plugs out in small blips after you get the car hot. I bought the tool because I broke one in my car going by the tsb. I now have successfully removed plugs in 3 more vehicles getting them hot and using my impact for removal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I have an impact floating around. Might go that route.

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
although I'm sure my 08 has had the plugs changed is this still something I should be worrying about.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
According to Ford's TSB.. They strongly recommend using only hand tools when extracting spark plugs and only when the engine is cold.. As the TSB advises against removal on a warm/hot engine, as doing so may result in stripping out the threads..

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
According to Ford's TSB.. They strongly recommend using only hand tools when extracting spark plugs and only when the engine is cold.. As the TSB advises against removal on a warm/hot engine, as doing so may result in stripping out the threads..
But quite a few people have had good luck using impacts. I've removed the plugs when the engine is warm and then let it cool down before putting the new ones in.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
The TSB is a joke. I have done the plugs on many a 5.4 and 4.6 with deep creep some patience and an impact and never broke one that way. With the TSB you are putting uneven pressure on the plugs and weakening the part that snaps every time you go back and forth. The impact takes them out easily after the decarbonizer breaks down the stubborn carbon on the shaft of the HT plugs.

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot about this thread after getting over the stress of the plug swap. I did mine in December and never had to use the broken plug extraction tool.
One a slightly warm motor I vacuumed out the area around the plugs after pulling the coils, put in some homemade hodgepodge of lube I've had success with before and let it sit a bit.
After that quarter turn out and let it sit longer. I didn't use an egg timer, but something like 10 mins, then loosened more, some felt tight than others, those got a quarter turn back and forth with some more lube. Almost all made a disturbing sound as I removed them, but all came out in one piece.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
Once I pulled mine following the 1/8-1/4 turn procedure to get the originals out. Then I put a little anti-seize on the shaft of the new ones and never though about it ever again. I pull them often to check for detonation or other problems as the racing season goes on.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you pull them every so often and check them like you should, this should never be an issue. I pull them just about after every track day which is about 6 times a year. I've used all different plugs but never had a problem with the 2-piece ones. I check all of my cars at least once a year. Never used any penetrating oil or anything. I've done it with the engine cold and warm. Just when it's warm I tend not to tighten them as much. I've never used a torque wrench on them. I use the old school method of hand tight and then a 1/4 of a turn. You can feel when they're tight anyways. I've used impacts on some cars but never my Mustang.

On a side note, I have known people to crank the motor over (obviously with the injectors and COPs unplugged) and use the compression of the motor to shoot the broken barrel of the plug right out of the head. The theory is sound but I would not recommend this method to anyone. Just mentioning it.

Silverhorse.s197

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be doing it with the engine warm.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I followed the TSB and started this process last month .. Finally had a warm day and did every plug little by little as worked around all 8. And still broke 2. My tool will be here tomorrow . Let me know if you need to borrow it.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
TSB is a better then not chance of breaking plugs. I personally have changed 4 sets in various mileage motors (ones with as many as 120k on the original plugs) with a slightly warm engine, breaking them loose a 1/4 turn, using a can of seafoam deep deep filling to the porcelain and letting sit over night then using an impact have yet to break one. The key is the decarbonizer you use and even force being applied when removing the plugs.

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
I followed the TSB and started this process last month .. Finally had a warm day and did every plug little by little as worked around all 8. And still broke 2. My tool will be here tomorrow . Let me know if you need to borrow it.
Silveehorse.s197 pm me ur location. Thinking of doing this soon. I'm in southern california. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
The Bullitt has the newer style heads with different plugs. This issue doesn't apply.
Actually mine is from before the re-engineering of the heads. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, bullitts made after 12/07 have the re-engineered heads. Easiest way to tell is with the color of the boot on COP. Of course that's if you are still running the stock plugs. I've heard that is the issue, Motorcraft platinum break easily. But guys please correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Brown boots (8L3E), yer good to go, according to my research. 1 piece ftw!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back