Broken spark plug in head procedure.

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
I used the Lisle tool to get a few plugs out and a small part of the ground hoop was broke off each one. Do I need to get the piece out of the cylinder? If so any recommendations? Is this common or did I do something wrong?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I would try to get them out with a shop vacuum. Just attach a smaller hose to the end via duct tape. Another option is to rotate the motor till the exhaust valve is open and blow out the cylinder with an air compressor. You will need to remove the exhaust for this though to make sure to recover the pieces. You can also just put a magnet down in the spark plug hole and see if you can retrieve it. Good luck.

cjb7804

Reaction score
Have all the plugs out, pull fuel pump relay and crank the engine over. 170psi of cylinder compression will blow the pieces right out. I've done tons of them at the shop I work for and works every time.

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
Done, Lisle tool is worth its weight in gold. I went through the whole process, warm engine, slow 1/4 turn, PB Blaster soak half for 3 hours other half sat over night.... and still only 1 of 8 came in one piece!!! Its a job but the Lisle tool makes it manageable. Also cranking the engine like cjb7804 said worked for clearing out small pieces of porcelain. Thanks to this whole thread for the help!!!!!

cjb7804

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you. Hate when the F150's come in for plug change, but that tool makes a big difference.

DAD_23

forum member
Reaction score
Got to say this is terrifying me about changing the plugs. Might be the one thing I take my stang into the shop for. Only 40,000 miles on mine so I guess I have time. Maybe the sooner the better tho??
Are there replacement plugs that won't break apart like that?

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
Got to say this is terrifying me about changing the plugs. Might be the one thing I take my stang into the shop for. Only 40,000 miles on mine so I guess I have time. Maybe the sooner the better tho??
Are there replacement plugs that won't break apart like that?

I put the same Motorcraft plugs back in but I used a good nickel anti seize.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The new Autolite/Motorcraft plugs have been redesigned so this will not be an issue in the future for you.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Everything I've read indicates that Ford had the plugs redesigned several years ago after the issue became prevalent and the cause was discovered. I recall something about the metal content of the shield portion of the plug and how it was welding itself to the head. The metal content was changed so it wouldn't stick any more. I've forgotten the details but I wouldn't be surprised if they were contained further back in this thread.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
The new plugs are SP514. I just did my plugs and didn't follow the TSB in terms of using hand tools to remove. I soaked mine for 8+hours with Chemtool and Deep Creep combo and then hit them with a impact gun. All came out without breaking. BTW that was with 119K on the original plugs.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
If you do break any there's a tool from Orielley's that works PERFECTLY. It's about $100 and well worth it to save the headache.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
If you do break any there's a tool from Orielley's that works PERFECTLY. It's about $100 and well worth it to save the headache.

I rent that tool for $5 plus shipping. There's a thread in the classifieds for it.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Guy here rents out that tool for like 5 + shipping

Back