Brooksspeed Tune CMDP

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
So I got my first email tune today from Eric Brookspeed. I was having some issues with the car and found out the CMCV's weren't opening up so I did the delete mod from the DIY thread I found on here and I gotta say that shit felt amazing. The tune was spot on! Ive heard alot of pros and cons on CMDP mod but I couldnt find one negative thing about it, the car really opens up at about 4,000 rpms and the tune was great the turn around time was less than 24hrs and he communicated great with me. Anyways while I was getting on the car it seems my brakes kinda caught fire :clap: Should I pull them apart and check them and maybe replace them or just leave it alone. This is my first fire. lol It kinda scared me a little.

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
Does your emergency brake cable feel loose, remembered mine did that when it was Very cold outside until I went with steel braided brake lines

nmb15831

forum member
Reaction score
my brakes actually had flames coming from them after a new pad install. i just put out the fire and let them cool down and they seem fine. i can pull the hand brake on a hill and it holds the car firm. mine was on a rear brake as well. but it wont hurt to pull them down and take a look.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Our brakes randomly burst into flames? I learn something new everyday :roflmao:

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
my brakes actually had flames coming from them after a new pad install. i just put out the fire and let them cool down and they seem fine. i can pull the hand brake on a hill and it holds the car firm. mine was on a rear brake as well. but it wont hurt to pull them down and take a look.

Lol yeah theyre new pads as well and at about 100+ degree weather. Hand brake seems to be fine as well. I didnt wanna pull them apart cause I had a hell of a time compressing that particular rear caliper when I did my brakes but it looks like I might have to. Either that or roll with a fire extinguisher from now on :lol2: rotors seem to be slightly warped as well. Hmmmm what to do...

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Lol yeah theyre new pads as well and at about 100+ degree weather. Hand brake seems to be fine as well. I didnt wanna pull them apart cause I had a hell of a time compressing that particular rear caliper when I did my brakes but it looks like I might have to. Either that or roll with a fire extinguisher from now on :lol2: rotors seem to be slightly warped as well. Hmmmm what to do...
How did you compress that caliper? Sounds to me like the damaged caliper is sticking and was hot enough to catch fire.

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
How did you compress that caliper? Sounds to me like the damaged caliper is sticking and was hot enough to catch fire.

I had to have an extra hand help me out. I was literally at it for about 2 days ready to give up. About to buy a new caliper when my friend with some really heavy duty mechanic hands came and helped me out. I couldnt believe how hard it was to turn that sucker back in but maybe you have a point. You think that caliper is too tight and maybe causing unneeded extra friction? I also noticed it felt like the brakes were engaging when I was driving it around at first then they eased up after about a day or two. Good observation and it was only the rear brakes that did that you think its time for a new caliper???

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
I had to have an extra hand help me out. I was literally at it for about 2 days ready to give up. About to buy a new caliper when my friend with some really heavy duty mechanic hands came and helped me out. I couldnt believe how hard it was to turn that sucker back in but maybe you have a point. You think that caliper is too tight and maybe causing unneeded extra friction? I also noticed it felt like the brakes were engaging when I was driving it around at first then they eased up after about a day or two. Good observation and it was only the rear brakes that did that you think its time for a new caliper???

Is there any way to check this? Now you got me worried...

firefighterhill

forum member
Reaction score
If your rotors are warped they need either trued or replaced. I would pull the pads and check them out if they have a warranty see if they will swap them. Also invest in a caliper compressing tool that also turns the piston while it compresses it.

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
If your rotors are warped they need either trued or replaced. I would pull the pads and check them out if they have a warranty see if they will swap them. Also invest in a caliper compressing tool that also turns the piston while it compresses it.

OP O.Rilley's has a good universal steel kit, that was on sale for 60 bucks... does all manufactures front and rears.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
...yeah...if you didnt use this --> http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-97143.html you most likey did some damage and now you need to replace some stuff. there is a few threads about this on here too. oh well, live and learn.

congrats on the good tune, Eric has done all the tuning to my car, his shop is about 40 min from my house so its easy to take the car to him. his tuning has yet to been bad on my car.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Meh......it's normal

car-on-fire.jpg

dancedood.gif

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
OP O.Rilley's has a good universal steel kit, that was on sale for 60 bucks... does all manufactures front and rears.

Yea I actualy rented a tool to compress them from Oreilys. I still had a really hard time with the back brakes regardless. Something seemed wrong I couldnt believe how hard they were to turn seems like with every full turn they were moving a fraction of a millimeter if even that. I guess Ill have to take them apart again but definetly waiting till I can afford some new calipers, theres no way Im gonna get those suckers to turn back in.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
its never normal for brakes to catch fire, most definitely not normal for rear brakes to do that, maybe your e-brake was/is sticking or the caliper is locked up