Cammed idle issue.

Ethan Bateman

Reaction score
Okay I have a 2010 Mustang Gt, xpipe, pypes mufflers, steeda cai, mutha thumbr cams, bama email tune.

The car runs decent, not what I expected after the cams, I thought I would be able to feel some more power on the butt dyno. Besides that the bigger problem is while driving and changing gears normally as you push the clutch in the rpms don’t drop any while shifting, sometimes they raise. Now then pulling up to a stop light, put the car in netural or downshift while stopping. It still doesn’t drop rpms right, as you come to a complete stop the rpms raise anywhere from 1500-3000k for about 5-10 seconds sticks there and then it drops to normal idle and is fine.

Those 5-10 seconds though sounds like I’m getting ready to launch at the strip. Tuning issue since I’m cammed with a bama tune??

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup, tuning issue most likely.

Could be a vac issue as well. Have you checked all hose connections?

Ethan Bateman

Reaction score
Yes, but I’ll double check this evening just to be sure. I didn’t wanna spend the money on a dyno tune right now, I was planning on getting a Paxton and then spend the money on a real one.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tell Bama the tunes not right and ask for a revision

Ethan Bateman

Reaction score
I just called, they want me to data log, I just heard a lot about bama and not to use them when you do major changes.

46addict

Reaction score
If you paid Bama to do your tune I understand why you would want to have them make it right. It's one thing to tune for safe WOT and then cold start, part throttle, and closed throttle behavior are different chapters of the book. They are asking for datalogs because they want to see exactly what the car is doing so they know what to adjust.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Do a datalog for Bama since you've already paid for the tune. Post the log here as well. If Bama still doesn't make it right, or somehow makes it worse, send Lito an email: [email protected]

His cammed tunes are only $150 and it will be the best $150 you can spend on that car. Yes he's that good.

If Bama remedies the issue, stay with them if you are happy otherwise with how the car behaves and then purchase a tune from Lito once you make another big change. Mother Thumpers don't add much power btw, if any.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Do the data log after you check for vacuum leaks and see how that goes, most of the people who bash Bama don't or haven't used them. I have yet to have them fail to get it right for my customer's bolt on cars. I have run at least a dozen Bama tunes in just as many cars, they even tuned a 4v swap for me.

Those cams add more power than any NSR cam on the market, 30 horsepower is not uncommon, again they get a rep from internet banter not based in reality or experience.

Lito is the best, but I can tell you from experience having those cams he has the same issues sorting the tune return to idle, it took 8 revisions for him to sort my car's return to idle.

Bama will sort the tune. Is Lito better? Yes. He is the best with the 3v and many here can testify to that. Do you need to change tuners? Not yet. You've already paid for a tune, be patient and work through the process.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Those cams add more power than any NSR cam on the market, 30 horsepower is not uncommon, again they get a rep from internet banter not based in reality or experience.

When/where have you seen them pick up 30 whp? Not doubting you but I've never seen it and would like to see some examples. I would be surprised if my Comp 127400 cams made 30whp over the stock cams.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
When/where have you seen them pick up 30 whp? Not doubting you but I've never seen it and would like to see some examples. I would be surprised if my Comp 127400 cams made 30whp over the stock cams.
There are tons of examples you can find through a little bit of searching, it's pretty much all I do on here and in relation to our cars

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

You might gain 30-35rwhp over the stock cams with a good tune. The downside is that any power gain is concentrated from 5000rpm upwards, and you may see a 15-20lbft torque loss at lower rpm.
You'll inevitably find yourself contemplating an axle gear swap to a higher ratio e.g. 3.73 or 4.10 in order to increase multiplication of the reduced torque and to take advantage of the extra power at higher rpm.

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Did you data log for them? Did you get it sorted out? I'm having the same issue after installing the cams ( finished today)...with basically the same mods you listed

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Did you data log for them? Did you get it sorted out? I'm having the same issue after installing the cams ( finished today)...with basically the same mods you listed
What cams and who is doing the tuning?

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Bama and Ford racing cams.....I do have steeda delete plates. The issue that I have is when I'm coasting it in neutral approaching a stop sign, the rpms hang around 1000 for about 5 to 7 seconds and then drop too 750 or so

I do plan in data logging for them, they asked me too when I purchased the cams and so I'll probably do that this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Bama and Ford racing cams.....I do have steeda delete plates. The issue that I have is when I'm coasting it in neutral approaching a stop sign, the rpms hang around 1000 for about 5 to 7 seconds and then drop too 750 or so

I do plan in data logging for them, they asked me too when I purchased the cams and so I'll probably do that this weekend.
This would be the very 1st step, it is part of the process to get a properly running car using custom tuning.
Bama will gert you sorted, their Hot Rod cam files are on point.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back