Car will not make boost. Need some help

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
He was running a .96 same one I am running. We were suppose to get .81 but that's what they sent and we rolled with it. Not sure on his new turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1.06 now. It and the uppipe helped with the BP, but maybe post turbo is where the issue really lies. Gotta say I really wish I had bought that used polished kenne bell.

Picture1_zpsa99a25cc.png

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you have a graph of the torque Brian, that will better show if your back pressure is hurting power or not. My torque started plummeting at 5200 rpms or so and the power quickly started to follow.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have a torgue curve for the 12psi comp run.

Picture1_zpsa14f429a.png

Last edited:

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
I am so furious with comp right now I can't barely put it into words. Ernie at comp is telling me that there is nothing wrong with my turbo. That it is suppose to be that tight. And that it's out of warranty, by less than a fucking month. It doesn't even barely spin at fucking idle. And isn't reaching 9psi till almost 4k rpm. They think changing the exhaust housing is going to fix everything. Are you fucking kidding me!
http://youtu.be/arOLqze1cjc

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Changing the turbine housing may very well fix it. Before installing the turbine housing they spin the wheel at high speed on a machine to test the bearings and balance. That's why I mentioned exhaust housing/wheel clearance a few posts back. Did you ever try to spin it by hand with the turbine housing removed and see if it spun better than when its installed? On my new turbo's for the twin setup I removed the turbine housings for coating and then mounted them to feed pipes that way since it was easier to get to the 4 stud bolts. The wheels spun fine by hand on both turbos, when I installed one into the turbine housing again it seized and wouldn't spin. I tried as hard as I could to spin the wheel with both hands and it wouldn't budge. I was beside myself for awhile couldn't figure it out. Then decided to swap and put the other turbo in, bolted the turbine housing down and it spun no problem just as easy as it did when the turbine was out. Put the one that was seizing in the other turbine housing and it was good to go, spun no problem. So the wheel is cut installed in the center section with the bearings and then spun at high speed, then material is trimmed/removed around the center bolt to balance it. Then the cast turbine housing is installed on the wheel and bolted to the center section. If there is an imperfection in the casting it can slow down the wheel or seize it, like what happened to me. Then the center is packed with grease before the turbo is inspected and sent out, that grease packing makes it very hard to spin initialy by hand so if the turbine housing was impeding the wheel it may not have been caught on a freshly assembled turbo. Their new machine allows them to spin the turbo and allow the grease to spread out and break it in prior to shipping now, so no 500-1000 mile break in is not required anymore on the oil-less units.

Last edited:

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I hope I don't experience any of these issues. Best of luck and keep the updates coming?

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Still waiting on some parts to return from THP so I can button it up.

To be honest, reading these threads makes me a little nervous. OE'edW, has a similar set up to what I'll be running so my fingers are crossed.

Last edited:

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
HUGE thanks to Bobby and Jeremy at S&H. Jeremy for helping me through my entire turbo fiasco and Bobby for helping me out with Comp, greasing some wheels ;-). Also to Justin at Comp, even though my turbo is just out of warranty they are putting a new design Billet center section in and basically rebuilding the whole thing even though it spec'd out. Also gave me a smoking deal on a .81 exhaust housing. Super stoked right now!!!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
HUGE thanks to Bobby and Jeremy at S&H. Jeremy for helping me through my entire turbo fiasco and Bobby for helping me out with Comp, greasing some wheels ;-). Also to Justin at Comp, even though my turbo is just out of warranty they are putting a new design Billet center section in and basically rebuilding the whole thing even though it spec'd out. Also gave me a smoking deal on a .81 exhaust housing. Super stoked right now!!!

I think that speaks volumes. Anything mechanical has a chance for issues. How those issues are dealt with means a whole lot, especially in the internet age where anyone doing a search can bring up the good, bad, and ugly.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Good to hear man. Hopefully they will have it back to you and running strong soon

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
I have twin Comp 6265 oil-less turbos and one of mine does exactly like your video. Barely moves if any at idle but the other ones spins just fine and has a loose feeling to it. I can spin the loose one by hand and it spins down for a while. If I spin the tight one it feels tight and stops almost instantly. Mine make boost (8psi) off the gates and full boost by 3200 rpm I think, maybe a little sooner I'd have to check. I talked to Comp and they said if it makes boost then it's fine. Good to know I'm not the only one with the issue.

How does yours sound when driving normally? Mine sound like a loud ass kazoo, sort of like I have a loud ghost in the car making a whirring sound. I have the kit off Gregs Coyote and he advised to swap the turbine housings as they may have been mixed up during coating but I swapped them today and no change. Turbo still doesn't spin at idle and the ghost/kazoo sound is still present. These turbos sound like shit, I expected more from Comp. I was thinking about going oil-less on my Lightning but I highly doubt I would put anything Comp on anything I own in the future. I called them a while back and they were very little help and just said everything is normal including the noise......................

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back