Carnage

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
So after getting the kid out of the hospital we were bored Saturday evening and decided to finally take the dead bullet apart. This is the engine I had in the car at Bradenton NMRA this year. Stock longlbock that didn't live two full passes. You just know it is going to be bad when you turn the engine over to take the pan off and you hear stuff bouncing around in the pan.

Milkshake anybody?
carnage1.jpg

Random stuff......
carnage2.jpg

Is that a connecting rod?
carnage3.jpg

Why yes...at least....part of a connecting rod.
carnage4.jpg

Yup...part of a piston too.
carnage5.jpg

I'll get more pics later on. Kinda hard when your digital camera is stolen and you have to use the cell phone. Wait until you see the #2 and #6 connecting rods. Bottom is still bolted to the crank and broken just above the big end. You can spin them around on the crank with your finger. Somewhere there is half a piston too. I'll have to find that thing.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
YIKES.... that is really blowing your motor up!!

Solitear

forum member
Reaction score
So after getting the kid out of the hospital we were bored Saturday evening and decided to finally take the dead bullet apart. This is the engine I had in the car at Bradenton NMRA this year. Stock longlbock that didn't live two full passes. You just know it is going to be bad when you turn the engine over to take the pan off and you hear stuff bouncing around in the pan.

Milkshake anybody?
carnage1.jpg

Random stuff......
carnage2.jpg

Is that a connecting rod?
carnage3.jpg

Why yes...at least....part of a connecting rod.
carnage4.jpg

Yup...part of a piston too.
carnage5.jpg

I'll get more pics later on. Kinda hard when your digital camera is stolen and you have to use the cell phone. Wait until you see the #2 and #6 connecting rods. Bottom is still bolted to the crank and broken just above the big end. You can spin them around on the crank with your finger. Somewhere there is half a piston too. I'll have to find that thing.

wow... you tore that block a new one...

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like the big brother carnage pics of my stock one , do like I did I kept one of the pistons then one of the fuckin MMR valves as a souvenir/reminder I look at before every " big " decision lol

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not one to just stand around, SD lives off the motto "Do something...even if it's wrong, do Something!"

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Remember those rods I told you about.............

carnage2-5.jpg

carnage2-3.jpg

And then there's this thing lurking in the bore...and wedged in the bore sideways.
carnage2-4jpeg.jpg

Here's one of those ultra-rare "3/8ths Race Pistons"......
Carnage2-1.jpg

Lots of small chunks of aluminum scattered everywhere. Oil pan is littered with crap soaked in milkshake. Block is trashed. Holes in both sides, pan rail has a chunk taken out of it, holes in two cylinders, huge chunk taken out of the top of the valley. Hell...I found parts of piston in the damn intake manifold. No wonder one turbo was trashed.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I all looks good.

When my factory engine let go I had bits of piston in the throttle body.

It'll be intersting to see how well the CHP engine holds up.

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
SD,
Just wondering WHY you're even bothering to try to take it apart? Unless you just needed a good laugh ;-) Call it a boat anchor and get to building the "next Ex SD's Engine". To paraphrase GK, "there are no victims, only scrap metal"

BTW, the only time I've seen worse carnage is when Matherly showed me what happens when a S/C impeller lets go, and you find pieces of it IN THE MUFFLER! Parts of it went completely through the engine, taking out everything in it's path.

You'll get it all back together and be back in the Winner's Circle in March. After all, 2010 is Chris' "off year"...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
SD,
Just wondering WHY you're even bothering to try to take it apart? Unless you just needed a good laugh ;-) Call it a boat anchor and get to building the "next Ex SD's Engine". To paraphrase GK, "there are no victims, only scrap metal"

BTW, the only time I've seen worse carnage is when Matherly showed me what happens when a S/C impeller lets go, and you find pieces of it IN THE MUFFLER! Parts of it went completely through the engine, taking out everything in it's path.

You'll get it all back together and be back in the Winner's Circle in March. After all, 2010 is Chris' "off year"...
The kid and I needed something to do last weekend to take our minds off the hospital stay and the burglary. He got a kick out of it so it's worth the time. I also needed to see for myself so I could try to diagnose what went wrong. I had an idea and now I'm fairly positive. Plus, there are a few things I need off the engine....although I have to clean aluminum out of most of them.

Between you and I, Keith.......I don't care if Parisi takes the year off or runs in 2010. I'll kick his ass like everyone else. :evil:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
SD - what could you need from that wreck?

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Rear seal cover, chains & stuff, trigger wheel, oil filter adapter, AN fitting for the water line to the turbos, front cover, maybe the crank if it's ok. Not sure on the heads but I'm betting that two chambers are not going to look very good.

I even threw the pan away. Bent the crap out of the rail. The UPS guy saw it yesterday evening and asked, "Who pulled the pin on that grenade?"

Back