coolant gauge pegged high not overheated.

Mustangk

Reaction score
seemed as tho my cooling gauge pegged to high and the car wasnt really hot ? i took off the cap coolant and there was some smoke but that seems normal for taking the cap off right after shutting engine i couldnt get the cooling gauge off peg high until i pulled off the negative terminal to reset battery short term memory, got back in car and gauge was unpegged all the way back to the left. started it up and the gauge went to where its supposed to.

What could be the reason this happens ? im assuming its wiring in or around the cluster for the cooling gauge or the stator motor behind the cooling gauge

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It's pretty common for the gauge stepper motors to go bad. If you plug in an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD II scanner and pair it up to an app such as Car Scanner that you can download onto your smartphone, you can monitor live data and even set up a set of your preferred gauges (including cylinder head temperature) on the electronic dashboard. This will confirm whether your car's temp. gauge reading is true or false.

Grabber_Mike

Reaction score
you have a bad coolant temp sensor or a wiring problem. Temp sensor is do it yourself $20-$30 fix.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Could be a temp sensor. Just a suggestion. Don't open the reservoir when first shutting off vehicle. Coolant gets very hot and burns badly!

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
You say car wasn't really hot...and you removed cap shortly after shut-off (w/o bad repercussion). How long was engine running? Did the gauge max right away, or gradually?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back